N A G S Championship Events

Jedd Johnson

What would be a decent dead with the 14# sledge?

Like what inch mark, alot of this is very new to me.

I just don't wanna go compete looking like a idiot lol

What would be a decent dead with the 14# sledge?

Like what inch mark, alot of this is very new to me.

I just don't wanna go compete looking like a idiot lol

I think the way they figure out the sledge event is take a 12lb hammer X inches from head= poundage. So if you can do 17" on a 12 lb sledge it would equal 204. Divide that by 14 and you'll get approximately the amount of inches you should be able to do on a 14lb sledge (almost 15").

Ok Tom thanks, Im trying to get this stuff

down before the comp.

• Like 1

I have a question about the pinch block curl device. Will the weight plates be flush with the block, or will they be further down the pin? I just want to make sure it remains a test of wrist strength, rather than pinch strength. With actual plate curls, there is a rim for the thumb to grasp, so pinch strength isn't really required. If the weight plates will be loaded further down the loading pin, then it won't really be an issue.

I hope my question is clear. It's a little difficult to describe in words.

I have a question about the pinch block curl device. Will the weight plates be flush with the block, or will they be further down the pin? I just want to make sure it remains a test of wrist strength, rather than pinch strength. With actual plate curls, there is a rim for the thumb to grasp, so pinch strength isn't really required. If the weight plates will be loaded further down the loading pin, then it won't really be an issue.

Eric, with the wooden replica I made the limiting factor for myself is definitely wrist strength. Our pinch strength is similar, but I know your hands are bigger. That coupled with what I'm sure are stronger wrist flexors would certainly make it less of a wrist challenge for you, but I would still be surprised if wrist was not the limiting factor for you. Have you tried out an implement similar to the National's implement yet? And I'm assuming the plates are loaded all the way down flush against the block (or as close as the welding bead allows). Sorry, I know it's not my question to answer, but I just thought I'd give a little food for thought. Actually trying it is the only way to know for sure. My guess would be that even for very large handed, strong wrist individuals the implement would perform as designed. And I don't really see pinch ability limiting anyone's performance, unless I'm really underestimating just how strong the wrists are of some you world class arm wrestlers. And that's entirely possible!

• Like 1

Eric, with the wooden replica I made the limiting factor for myself is definitely wrist strength. Our pinch strength is similar, but I know your hands are bigger. That coupled with what I'm sure are stronger wrist flexors would certainly make it less of a wrist challenge for you, but I would still be surprised if wrist was not the limiting factor for you. Have you tried out an implement similar to the National's implement yet? And I'm assuming the plates are loaded all the way down flush against the block (or as close as the welding bead allows). Sorry, I know it's not my question to answer, but I just thought I'd give a little food for thought. Actually trying it is the only way to know for sure. My guess would be that even for very large handed, strong wrist individuals the implement would perform as designed. And I don't really see pinch ability limiting anyone's performance, unless I'm really underestimating just how strong the wrists are of some you world class arm wrestlers. And that's entirely possible!

Milfeld's description is correct. Plates will be loaded a flush to the 2"x6" block as possible. The 6" block will be rough steel (not painted) so should give a strong gripping surface.

We understand that no single lift can isolate a sole grip aspect and many have aspects of all types of grip. Events were chosen to challenge many different aspects of grip, and to run smoothly/efficiently so as not to hold a 10-12 hour competition. We believe the pinch curl will be exciting and test and aspect of grip that has not been contested to date.

• Like 1

Innovative new event Andrew! Seems like a good valid measure of hand and wrist strength. Our training group from Charlotte is planning to ride up-all have lots of wrist strength with the exception of myself.

• Like 1

all have lots of wrist strength with the exception of myself.

Invalid based on lifting the InchDB in the rain, at your bodyweight, hand size, etc. etc.

• Like 2

all have lots of wrist strength with the exception of myself.

Invalid based on lifting the InchDB in the rain, at your bodyweight, hand size, etc. etc.

Thanks Andrew! Thant means a lot coming from you especially.

I've had two injuries/flareups as a result of overenthusiastic plate curls over the years, so have never developed much of that specific strength. Started training plate curls a little just recently and think I've figured out how to avoid having so many problems w/ my skinny lil' wrists.

• Like 1

Milfeld's description is correct. Plates will be loaded a flush to the 2"x6" block as possible. The 6" block will be rough steel (not painted) so should give a strong gripping surface.

We understand that no single lift can isolate a sole grip aspect and many have aspects of all types of grip. Events were chosen to challenge many different aspects of grip, and to run smoothly/efficiently so as not to hold a 10-12 hour competition. We believe the pinch curl will be exciting and test and aspect of grip that has not been contested to date.

Great events but wouldn't it run twice as fast if you just tested one hand for 3 of the events? If both hands were done could there be world records for the off hand as well? Like for the mash monster ladder we now have the offhand ladder also. Or even records for the highest total between both hands.

The pinch curl is 6x6 then two inches thick??

Also how is the plate curl made? Its gotta be hollow right?

A maintnace man at my job is gonna make me one

Could i get detailed info how its made? Thanks

Also how is the plate curl made? Its gotta be hollow right?

A maintnace man at my job is gonna make me one

Could i get detailed info how its made? Thanks

Jedd had them made. He knows the fine details.

Also how is the plate curl made? Its gotta be hollow right?A maintnace man at my job is gonna make me oneCould i get detailed info how its made? Thanks

Jedd had them made. He knows the fine details.
Ok thanks!

Granted it was just a few minute test run - but how you load it makes a difference - 4-5# plates feels different than 2-10# plates for example. I was just using my Climber Pinch set up which is a little different of course but it's a wrist test with some finger stress for me anyway. In my case anyway I don't think I'll run out of biceps or pinch before my wrist goes. I made no effort to test how much I could do - just trying it out so my feeling could turn out wrong with heavier - closer to limit weights.

I did some wrist curls type thingies over my knee also and like these pretty well also.

Edited by climber511

I'm quite new to this sport, so please forgive my presumption.

However, its been bothering for a time now that there is an event in the National Championship where the general population does not have easy access to the equipment for one of the contested events.

Like I said, I'm new, so I don't really know if this is a common occurrence, but I think its a topic that hasn't been brought up and is worthy of being discussed.

• Like 1

However, its been bothering for a time now that there is an event in the National Championship where the general population does not have easy access to the equipment for one of the contested events.

Like I said, I'm new, so I don't really know if this is a common occurrence, but I think its a topic that hasn't been brought up and is worthy of being discussed.

I was wondering about this myself. What is the process for used to determine the events for NAGS? Not complaining...just curious.

Is input from the general grip pop ever sought after or encouraged?

On a related note...no one ever responded to my question about NAGS representatives in that other thread. Thanks.

This one...

For NAGS, we don't have a voted board of members in place. We do have a group of guys from the US though: Aaron, Eric, me, Brent, Chris, and Andrew Durniat.

For any who know...

then...what exactly is NAGS? Can you describe it's inception and what it actually does? Since it's North American...maybe Eric Roussin would be a worthy addition?

Frankly, I still consider myself simply a journeyman in grip, but perhaps years down the road (when I'm more "seasoned") I'd be interested in voicing an opinion.

Do you have some kind of system in place to allow for that?

Thanks.

I was wondering about this myself. What is the process for used to determine the events for NAGS? Not complaining...just curious.

On a related note...no one ever responded to my question about NAGS representatives in that other thread. Thanks.

For the medleys which also take a lot of time very few people will have all of those implements. I think to run the contest quick personally just test one hand and have two hand events also to test both hand strength. I think the axle is a fair event as is grippes but personally I think the saxon bar would be quicker event for the two hand pinch and think it would be easier to train with for the average person. I think its safer also for skin tears. Two contests I had to use the two hand pinch device I tore my thumb up before my last attempt. I also like the sledge event very easy for most to train and goes quick again just one hand though for speed purpose. Just my opinions though I'd be curious to hear what others would think also on that subject.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

If you are referring to the Pinch Curl, they will be available. I have had some website issues.

• Like 1

This one...

For NAGS, we don't have a voted board of members in place. We do have a group of guys from the US though: Aaron, Eric, me, Brent, Chris, and Andrew Durniat.

For any who know...

then...what exactly is NAGS? Can you describe it's inception and what it actually does? Since it's North American...maybe Eric Roussin would be a worthy addition?

Frankly, I still consider myself simply a journeyman in grip, but perhaps years down the road (when I'm more "seasoned") I'd be interested in voicing an opinion.

Do you have some kind of system in place to allow for that?

Thanks.

The forming of NAGS all took place in October of 2011. There was a call for an organization, so I started one. At the time, I was doing Grip Strength Radio on a weekly basis, and I talked about it during one of the shows. From there, the guys I mentioned stepped up to help.

For the medleys which also take a lot of time very few people will have all of those implements. I think to run the contest quick personally just test one hand and have two hand events also to test both hand strength. I think the axle is a fair event as is grippes but personally I think the saxon bar would be quicker event for the two hand pinch and think it would be easier to train with for the average person. I think its safer also for skin tears. Two contests I had to use the two hand pinch device I tore my thumb up before my last attempt. I also like the sledge event very easy for most to train and goes quick again just one hand though for speed purpose. Just my opinions though I'd be curious to hear what others would think also on that subject.

The Adjustable Pinch is the fairest event in Grip Sport, since everyone can use their best width to get their best numbers. The weight lifted is limited by your grip strength for the most part, and not your back strength. There is really no need to change the main pinch event at a contest. We will be using two brand new Napalm Pinches at Nationals, so the event should go much quicker.

Also, if you are tearing your skin on the 2HP, then your grip application and or your width is wrong. There's a lot to this event you may not pick up on right way without a lot of practice on it.

Granted it was just a few minute test run - but how you load it makes a difference - 4-5# plates feels different than 2-10# plates for example. I was just using my Climber Pinch set up which is a little different of course but it's a wrist test with some finger stress for me anyway. In my case anyway I don't think I'll run out of biceps or pinch before my wrist goes. I made no effort to test how much I could do - just trying it out so my feeling could turn out wrong with heavier - closer to limit weights.

I did some wrist curls type thingies over my knee also and like these pretty well also.

Andrew and I have already touched on figuring out the loading for it. Great point.

I shall be more clear on this post and highlight the unanswered questions...

Frankly, I still consider myself simply a journeyman in grip, but perhaps years down the road (when I'm more "seasoned") I'd be interested in voicing an opinion. Do you have some kind of system in place to allow for that?

I was wondering about this myself. What is the process for used to determine the events for NAGS? Not complaining...just curious. Is input from the general grip pop ever sought after or encouraged?

People get into grip and like it and continue...or don't.

Of those who do continue...they either want to "just train grip", "train and compete" or "train, compete, and get involved in the process."

Right now I'm certainly in option two...but I'm curious enough about the 3rd option to start asking questions.

By getting answers, I may end up deciding I don't want to invest the time needed...or I may choose to go for it.

Believe me...I truly believe that Grip is in it's infancy...but it will evolve and grow... or stagnate depending on the choices made today.

• Like 2

Well the maintnance man is going to weld

me up a pinch curl device today, he is gonna

use two 6x6 1/4in thick steel plates and weld

2in flatbar all the way around and offcoarse a

standard size loading pin. Can't wait to try it out.