Chris Rice Is In The Grip Well!

Bill Piche

Hi Chris,

Wow talk about experience!!

In your 31 years of training did you ever have tendonitis from all the gripwork and how did you deal with that?

Thanks,

Roy

Roy it's not so much have I ever had but when have I not had somewhere :). But it not that often caused by grip training for Gripsport. I can pretty much control my training in the gym and backoff or modify as necessary - most of my problems come from the climbing - there are times when letting go isn't that nice an option and I push farther than I would in a gym setting. How do I deal with it? For me its about balance - if I can keep my antagonists strength in balance with the prime movers, I don't often have serious problems. When I do get it deep tissue massage, cross friction massage, proper stretching, and making myself back off from things that hurt under load. It is imperative to keep moving the problem area without or with very light loading to prevent scar tissue formation. Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris! I think backing off in time in the gym is probably my biggest issue even though I've been working with weights for quit a long time myself (22 years, started when only 16) . :-)

Roy - it probably took me 35 to 40 years in the gym to figure out that "rest is training". I don't know if its really possible to learn this until you've beat the crap out of your self though. Some people never learn this until its too late - our desire to "be better" blinds us to the obvious.

• Like 4

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I have learned a lot by looking at your old posts.

It is a pain for me to bring my axle to the gym so I was planning on using fatgripz for most of my thick bar work and testing on the axle 1xmonth. Right now I do fatgripz deadlifts, holds, rack work etc. Do you think there is a decent carryover from fatgrips to axle and that this plan can work? I know its probably slightly better to just pull on the axle every week if that is my goal but its just tough to do. Any thoughts/tips on this would be appreciated!

James - Sure the Fat Grips are different - mostly due to being 2 3/8" versus the 2" of the Axle - the rubber versus metal of the same diameter doesn't seem that much different to me. I don't use Fat Grips often because I have so many sized bars to work with but I do a lot of my 2" Axle training with 2 3/8" dumbbell handles and the carry over seems excellent - consider adding in Dumbbell Rows with your fat gripz (don't let it touch the floor between reps) - they are a winner of a movement. I think your plan should work out fine - just be sure and do a few weeks of actual 2" Axle deadlift training before heading to a competition that has the Actual Axle event in it.

• Like 2

First just wanted to say thanks for all your advice over the years. You've had a huge influence on my training and its greatly appreciated. Also some of my favorite pieces of equipment are some db's and my climber curl I have received from you.

I better ask a question since thats what this area is for! Do you separate plate and thick pinch or do them on the same day? Thanks!

• Like 1

First just wanted to say thanks for all your advice over the years. You've had a huge influence on my training and its greatly appreciated. Also some of my favorite pieces of equipment are some db's and my climber curl I have received from you.

I better ask a question since thats what this area is for! Do you separate plate and thick pinch or do them on the same day? Thanks!

Austin - thanks for the kind words.

Generally I separate thin and thick but in the run up before a contest I do several what I call event days where I do everything that will be in the comp just exactly like it will be that day - and that includes Medley training of every item I have in the gym - maybe 45 or 50 items for a giant Medley run. I will sometimes go through it twice even (done no more than once a week). Short term it is no doubt the most productive training I do - but it can only be done short term (at least for me). I noticed years ago that 5 to 7 days (of rest) after a competition I seemed to always hit a PR or two so I thought it might be a good way to prepare for upcoming contests - turned out I was right - at least for me.

It seems people think I actually train Grip but I seldom do much outside of climbing and climbing oriented stuff unless there is a competition coming up. I often go months and never do anything like grippers or block weights. The climbing stuff seems enough for the fingers - if I hit thumbs once in a while and either the Wrist Thingy or sledges for my wrists - I seem able to maintain enough that all I need is contest prep of 3 to 4 weeks.

• Like 2

How do YOU use the climber curl?

Sets, reps, frequency, as assistance?

So far I've been dong like 12-30 reps on it, going to failure, after grip workouts, for 2-3 sets.

The burn..... :)

Chris,

Same question just on the wrist thingy? I've been using it in replace of hammers due to flaring up wrist pain. Also what is a good weight mark on it? The best I've done is 80lbs off the end of a barbell for 8 reps each way. Thank you for doing this, I continue to learn a lot from you.

My last 3 workouts on the Wrist Thingy after not doing it for a while.

75# x 15 all directions L&R (easy)

105# x 15 all directions L&R (moderate)

140# x 5 all directions L&R (reps were not as full range so a different kind of work done - still good from time to time) (Hard)

• Like 2

Chris, this is a fantastic "Grip Well" addition.

People have asked a lot of excellent questions. Your responses were thorough and even answered many that were unasked.

I'll throw in a few light questions.

I know very little about Gripmas (except that it is universally held in high regard).

Can you give a bit of history and creation of Gripmas? How long to you plan on hosting it?

Would you continue to host even if confronted by injury or do you feel self-participation is mandatory?

People have asked a lot of excellent questions. Your responses were thorough and even answered many that were unasked.

I know very little about Gripmas (except that it is universally held in high regard).

Can you give a bit of history and creation of Gripmas? How long to you plan on hosting it?

Would you continue to host even if confronted by injury or do you feel self-participation is mandatory?

Thanks Nate! I have really tried to give my thoughts in an in depth manner.

I tried hard – thank you.

I know very little about Gripmas (except that it is universally held in high regard). Can you give a bit of history and creation of Gripmas?

The first Gripmas Carol was just a “get together” (I think it was 2003?) – I was very new to the sport (just a few months) – I just went on the GB and “invited” anyone who wanted to come – my idea was simply to meet some likeminded people. I didn’t have as many toys back then so people brought theirs and it was much more “overall” than just grip. Kegs – natural stones – Olympic lifts - it was all over the place. But it was a blast! The next was a “sorta” contest – competition but with nothing but bragging rights as prizes. I try to keep that “get together” atmosphere to this day.

Then the real Gripmas Carol as a “grip” contest started and has continued since. It’s an amazing amount of work – I have to remove most of the stuff in the gym (into my house, other building, out on the porch, in the yard etc) – weeks go into trying new events and making the equipment to use while doing them (trying to outsmart all the “feat cheaters” – trying to come up with a Medley that works for both weak and strong competitors – making all the equipment I give away as prizes - and then putting everything back and cleaning up after the contest takes days – well months really. The reason I mention this is because a couple years ago I said no more – it was just too much with all the loading etc that has to be done during the contest - especially as I lose money (like every promoter anywhere). Now days I hardly ever have to touch a weight – the young guys push me out of the way and do all the loading etc for me – which I really appreciate. But I missed it and people all over begged me to do it again – a few said they would come early and stay late to help me out – so I did it again…..and again.

Gripmas has become known as the place for somewhat different events – supported one and two hand sledge levers in a rack – choked Grippers – crazy Medley items and Medley ideas – Ivanko Super Gripper with a positive light closure set up instead of TSGs – lots of different things out of my imagination. And it seems to work – People seem to have a love/hate relationship to it all. Love this – hate that – but they keep coming just to see what the crazy old guy will come up with next J. Outside of maybe David Horne’s place – I think there has been more 2 HP World Records set here than anywhere in the World, no idea why but they just keep coming year after year. One hand lifts as well. I still find it hard to believe that in my garage gym in a town of 2500 people, we have WR strength lifts being done each year.

How long to you plan on hosting it?

If you had asked me the day after the comp as I’m down on my hands and knees scrubbing chalk out of the rubber flooring for a couple hours – I would tell you NEVER AGAIN. But as time goes on, I start thinking about how I can challenge Andrew, Brad, Jedd and all the guys to something that will kick sand in their face but still allow the newcomers to Gripmas to have a great contest experience – it’s not an easy thing to do.

Mandatory that I compete – no. Injury would depend of course – some injuries might make it impossible for me to promote it. Self-participation - too much fun to stop as long as I’m physically able – definitely! My health is still good – I am still somewhat competitive in the 93K class – so I hope to still be out there trying for another few years. I have sort of set myself a goal of still being on the overall Top Fifty 2 HP pinch list at age 70. So I think I better stay training and keep promoting.

Grip Sport is not my primary interest – climbing is. So much of my available money (retirement is awesome but doesn’t pay as well as work) and time traveling goes to that purpose and traveling long distance to other contests goes on the back burner more often these days. I love Grip Comps but 6 to 8 hour drives or flights are something I don’t enjoy by myself and many of my old traveling companions have also changed hobbies so that stops me from going very often. I do feel guilty though for not supporting others contests when they come to mine.

• Like 6

Thanks everyone and a BIG thanks to Chris for being in the well!

• Like 1

A parting message from Chris:

Well my time in the Well is over – I tried to answer as in depth as I could – probably more so than what most of you wanted to read. But if one person finds some value in it – it will have been worthwhile.

I want to thank all the many people who have given me so much in this little world of grip. Wanngrip for the Grip Board obviously and this chance to answer questions and share what little I think with you all. David Horne for the World Of Grip site. I want to thank David Horne and Jedd Johnson for “being” the driving forces that always push for a better competition and training experience and moving the sport forward. Thanks to Sean Dockey, Nick and Stew Rosendaul for the Farmstrength forum – my home away from home for training. Aaron for doing all the NAGS lists and associated Web work. All the many people who have shared their knowledge with me so freely on long road trips, over a beer after a contest, and helped me in so many ways over the years to become stronger and better informed. I have learned so much from so many I cannot name names for fear of leaving someone out but I believe the brotherhood that we all share in the quest for stronger hands and bodies is a good thing and hope you all can keep it going in the right direction in the years to come. The last person I have to thank is my wife Teresa – she is my inspiration – my partner in all things – she’s in the gym with me – on the rocks and in the mountains – she’s tougher than everyone I know- and she’s also my cheerleader – thanks babe.

I have named my Gym the Yol Bosun Gym – it means “may there be a road” or Good Luck – at least in Louie Lamour novels of which I am a fan. So I will leave you with this wish “YOL BOSUN”.

Until next time.

• Like 5