New To Bending?

EricMilfeld

Started bending today... bent 3 m8 150mm bolts and one 130mm M8.

Wrapped them in a tea towel. Had a row off the wife.

I have mega respect for you steel benders not only are you supremely strong but tough also.

I want to be like you too !!

• 2 weeks later...

hey i just started bending recently and bought a few 6 foot lengths of both 3/16 round and 1/4 round and cut the 3/16 in to 6in and 5 in lengths and cut the 1/4 into 7in and 8in lengths. but i had an extra bar left and cut it into 9 and 10 in lengths. The 3/16 bar is easy for me to bend right down to close to half a inch but i struggle with the 1/4 at 7 and 8 in lengths. my question is... is it effective to start at my 10 inch lengths and gradually go for the shorters or is there a different type of bar i can by that will bridge the gap?

hey i just started bending recently and bought a few 6 foot lengths of both 3/16 round and 1/4 round and cut the 3/16 in to 6in and 5 in lengths and cut the 1/4 into 7in and 8in lengths. but i had an extra bar left and cut it into 9 and 10 in lengths. The 3/16 bar is easy for me to bend right down to close to half a inch but i struggle with the 1/4 at 7 and 8 in lengths. my question is... is it effective to start at my 10 inch lengths and gradually go for the shorters or is there a different type of bar i can by that will bridge the gap?

Hi Burns,

I am new to bending as well and I am by no means an expert but here is what I am doing. I have been buying different types of steel in the 1/4 inch range. I will cut it down to 7 inch lengths to start with then go from there. I have found some 1/4 inch stock very easy and some that I can't move at all. It varies just like grippers. I am sure others can add more insight.

Edited by FrankD

I just bent A 12 INCH spiral timberspike down to 1 and half inch is that a good bend?

Burns, I am new also, but I would think that is a great bend! I have a couple of those spikes but I haven't tried them yet. Need to learn more first. :D

• 2 months later...

Could anyone recommend a good size nail for a beginner? I want to give bending a try. Preferably something I can pick up at the hardware store? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

The normal answer would be 60d nails which are available at most all hardware stores!I would expect you could bend one of these in DO maybe DU or even reverse. Pick up some and give it a try. Make sure you have some wraps of either IM or suede leather don't use a rag or towel.

The normal answer would be 60d nails which are available at most all hardware stores!I would expect you could bend one of these in DO maybe DU or even reverse. Pick up some and give it a try. Make sure you have some wraps of either IM or suede leather don't use a rag or towel.

Awesome! i'll get a few and give it a try! Would suede car wash cloth work?

Since I have seen people bare hand steel including myself I guess a shammy may work but if you go to a craft shop and buy 2 squares of suede will work alot better. FBBC sells these also or a leather shop. Good Luck my friend!

Since I have seen people bare hand steel including myself I guess a shammy may work but if you go to a craft shop and buy 2 squares of suede will work alot better. FBBC sells these also or a leather shop. Good Luck my friend!

Sweet! Thanks again!

• 7 months later...

Eric you are confirming two of my ideas as a bending noob: 1) since I am a lousy roller I wrapped up a 1/4" nail and rolled that as tight as I could and then inserted a bent Red into the wrap (had to work it a while). 2) I am using already bent Reds to progressively less and less of an angle and after I bend these I should be ready for a straight Red. You are right Eric, I think if I bust my rear on this I might be able to get it done in a few months. The next time I see you I will have to show you my technique.

-Jordan

• 1 month later...

Am I correct in saying all present Ironmind nail certifications are done without the nail touching the body? (rule #2) While I understand" the words" all I see is people bending with the nail pressed against the neck either directly or the pad. Please!!!! anyone out here to help me video link or more exact explination. There are some "what if" questions. What if the wrapped nail pad is in contact with the neck as I see so many do ...what IS the ruling on that? Any RED nail certified guys please give me your thoughts on this. Many thanks R Sorin

The decision was made that the contact with the neck like that is permitted. This was a discussion item on the IM board a few months back.

Thanks so much .Does "the neck like that" means the nail may come in contact with the neck, or only the nail wrapping., or both?Please specify. I see in all cases hands contacting the neck,and chest seem to "be legal" and "accepted" form. R Sorin

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Double-wrapped red nail. Decent bend. Anyone have some pointers or an effective method for wrapping? I think this is a major week point for me. Never realized how important it is.

Great bend man you did that super quick also. Your going to the fort worth contest right? You will have access to some of the best benders in the world who could probably give you some pointers.

• 3 months later...

Just started bending about 3-weeks ago & I'm loving it! I've already bent a grade 5 1/4" x6 bolt and a 60d nail... awesome stuff guys! Thanks for the training info on this board!

• Like 2

Just started bending about 3-weeks ago & I'm loving it! I've already bent a grade 5 1/4" x6 bolt and a 60d nail... awesome stuff guys! Thanks for the training info on this board!

gripboard is dope, and there are some world class benders posting here, especially Tommy. check out steel benders.org for a little more focused info on bending.

Will do Mike... thanks bud! Hoping to be cert on the red nail sometime soon. Don't know how far out I am but I'm training hard!

• Like 1

Indeed. .. needing some analysts anyways! I'll post one Monday. Next time I bend.

Indeed. .. needing some analysts anyways! I'll post one Monday. Next time I bend.

• 3 months later...

Hey Josh,

Go to your local home depot or lowes &buy some 1/4" CRS (cold rolled steel) it'll be labeled as such. Also buy some bolt cutters & a file... cut yer 3 or 4-ft sticks into 6-7"bars for bending. Buy yer wraps from IM.. buy at least 2-as they're inexpensive ($5)ea. Yer all set as far as material..

now find some experienced guys to train with or do like I did & look up vids on YouTube. Mike sharky & Nathaniel brous helped me tremendously to my RED Nail cert...

got any more questions don't hesitate to ask! Good luck brother! !