First Time Bending "big" Since 2012

Jedd Johnson

I got a wild hair the other day to try some Reverse Bending. I don't even really know what is considered "Good," "Great," or "Elite," anymore for Reverse Bending, it's been so long since I did it.

After barely being able to warp a 60D with a loose wrap, I decided to wrap up a Red Nail nice and tight and giver a go.

I was pretty happy with the result. I got it about 25 degrees, once I bought a protractor.

Could I have gotten the necessary 40 degrees if I'd finished out the 30 seconds? Who knows. I didn't think to look at the clock before I started, so I was assuming I'd already passed the 30-second limit.

The wraps were pretty thin, although I didn't run them through a hold in wood or anything like that. I have MUCH thicker wraps that I used to use for bigger bends. I'll probably just stick with the nice thin ones.

No pain during the bend, and very little the next day. It'd be nice to see what I can work up to with Reverse, if I can continue to recover from the bending sessions in time for the grip sessions.

We shall see.

All the best in your training.

Jedd

• Like 9

Dont know about elite but i think reversing red nail is great bend. Well done, especially after so long break.

Coming from an ex-reverse bender or a double overhand convert, in my opinion the average man can't reach this elite level. I'd say a G5 is really strong reverse so anything above that boggles my mind!

Hope to see you bend some more!

Dont know about elite but i think reversing red nail is great bend. Well done, especially after so long break.

I would classify it as an elite bend. How many people on the red nail roster certed reverse?

• Like 1

I would classify it as an elite bend. How many people on the red nail roster certed reverse?

Can remember only one. Ivan Beritashvili.

Can remember only one. Ivan Beritashvili.

Same here. This is definitely elite then. Granted it wasn't in imp's but you get my point. :grin::grin:

• Like 1

Welcome back Jedd.

There are certain bends that no matter the injury or the lay off we can bend it. For you it's reverse a red. For me its DO an edgin. Are these elite bends, or just another day at the office?

I have to say this was a nice surprise to see. Hope you stick with it and this wasn't a one-off.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 3

Welcome back Jedd.

There are certain bends that no matter the injury or the lay off we can bend it. For you it's reverse a red. For me its DO an edgin. Are these elite bends, or just another day at the office?

I have to say this was a nice surprise to see. Hope you stick with it and this wasn't a one-off.

Depends who you are as to what is an Elite bend "for you". I'd say reversing a Red Nail is pretty dang good for anyone - but after a long lay off like you have had Jedd - I think it really shows that the other training you have been doing has certainly been working - and that's a big deal.

And EJ - Edgins are still warm ups for you? :) - dude that is sick!

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

This is definitely an elite Reverse bend as far as I'm concerned, and to then do it after such a long layoff is just nuts man...great job Jedd!

• Like 1

I got a wild hair the other day to try some Reverse Bending. I don't even really know what is considered "Good," "Great," or "Elite," anymore for Reverse Bending, it's been so long since I did it.

After barely being able to warp a 60D with a loose wrap, I decided to wrap up a Red Nail nice and tight and giver a go.

I was pretty happy with the result. I got it about 25 degrees, once I bought a protractor.

Could I have gotten the necessary 40 degrees if I'd finished out the 30 seconds? Who knows. I didn't think to look at the clock before I started, so I was assuming I'd already passed the 30-second limit.

The wraps were pretty thin, although I didn't run them through a hold in wood or anything like that. I have MUCH thicker wraps that I used to use for bigger bends. I'll probably just stick with the nice thin ones.

No pain during the bend, and very little the next day. It'd be nice to see what I can work up to with Reverse, if I can continue to recover from the bending sessions in time for the grip sessions.

We shall see.

All the best in your training.

Jedd

Aw yiss, Jedd! That is very strong reverse bending. Especially after 3 years off bending. :yikes

Awesome attempt Jedd! IMO, bending a Red reverse, in thinner wraps to 40 degrees is elite. You definitely got this!

I would definitely classify it as an elite bend, too. Some of the guys on the Red Nail roster were capable of certing Reverse, but chose to use a different style. In 2007, I would've been able to certify in 4 styles on the Red. DO, Modified DU, Traditional DU, and Reverse. But I didn't, and got injured, lol.

Guys, thanks for the comments and support. EJ, you're a FREAK if you can just stroll in off the street and knock down Edgin's. That's insane.

With the way the bending sport as advanced, I wasn't sure if maybe this just became a joke by now.

I'll be sticking with leather. IM Wraps and I don't get along very well.

I've honestly been thinking a LOT about bending since Saturday. We shall see.

• Like 4

I haven't bent anything bigger than a 6" G5 reverse in a long time. I may have to give something better a try sometime soon (won't be a Red though) - maybe 1/4" square :).

• Like 1

Guys, thanks for the comments and support. EJ, you're a FREAK if you can just stroll in off the street and knock down Edgin's. That's insane.

With the way the bending sport as advanced, I wasn't sure if maybe this just became a joke by now.

I'll be sticking with leather. IM Wraps and I don't get along very well.

I've honestly been thinking a LOT about bending since Saturday. We shall see.

Name calling is never nice Jedd, lol. I think my first bend after a year and a half lay off from injury was an edgin, I'd have to check YT and the dates.

Reversing a red is still HUGE. I really hope you visit more often and post some more bends. It would be nice to see an elite gripster bend every once in a while. Next time don't stop until that red is at 40 degrees. Time isn't important.

• Like 2

Very well done Jedd :rock

I went for it again last night. It went down no problem. This time I murdered a 60D for my warm-up. Not sure why it was so hard the other day, maybe a bit better wrap last night.

I've got a couple videos of the same bend.

Full Wrap, Bend & Measure (boring)

Just the Bend and Measure

• Like 4