Question For Experienced Grip Guys

Jörg Keilbach

Are elbow injurys more common with Mms or CCS training. Or is there no difference?

Are elbow injurys more common with Mms or CCS training. Or is there no difference?

I am by no means an experienced grip guy, but, in my experience, the elbow injuries usually come from moving the elbow while grinding hard on a close, or by moving the elbow through the range of motion while squeezing the hand. You can feel the tendons grind near your elbow. I think it is important to keep the elbow static while exerting max pressure with the grip, no matter if it is MMS or CCS. That is my opinion based on my experiences.

• Like 1

Elbow injuries occur because of a weak link. based on wether it's tennis (outside) or golfer (inside) you can figure out the weak link. There are tons of YouTube videos showing you how to strengthen the conective tissue in question.

I would say there is a difference in ccs vs mms based simple on ROM of fingers, joints, tendons and connective tissue.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

I would vote mms Jörg. Simply because with mms you can close heavier grippers. Heavier gripper= more stress on the tendon.

Least stressfull is TNS, because you close only relatively light grippers AND because you get a release of tension between every rep.

• Like 2

I would vote mms Jörg. Simply because with mms you can close heavier grippers. Heavier gripper= more stress on the tendon.

Least stressfull is TNS, because you close only relatively light grippers AND because you get a release of tension between every rep.

Yep, this is what I came here to say, so I'll reiterate.

I never had golfers elbow until I started deep setting grippers. I don't necessarily think that the deeper sets are inherently harmful to everyone, just potentially more harmful to novices.

When I was going at it in 2012, everything I did was a pretty wide set. Took a few years off and jumped right into mms work. It was a mistake. Just my experience though.

My main takeaway from different training methods is focus on good, wide sets for the first long while. Put the mash monster ladder out of your head. It's advanced stuff. Build those tendons and ligaments along a full range of motion.

• Like 2

Thank's for your answers. My theory was that CCS and TNS because you have to move the fingers more back into the palm.

Since training CCS almost exclusively, my elbows issues are largely nonexistent. Learning how to heal and correct imbalances has helped I suspect but wide closes seem to carry over to overall strength better than mms.

• Like 1

Muscle groups and the body is generally set up to move and support through a full range of movement allowed by joint and muscle . The foremost task of a hand is an isometric positioning or holding grip but ,the catch is isometric or short range grinding motions don't fully strengthen the grip in a isometric or dynamic position. Deep setting changes the muscle angles used and gripper position largely taking the thumb( half of the grip equation) out of the movement more.

If you can close a #1 gripper with a TNS and you are strong enough, a 3 should go down in much the same way. Deep set closes might prove "something "but in general is limiting the full range of strength and inviting overuse wear and injuries. Do what ever makes you happy but If it is"grip" you want you have to train for it it the way the Russian's used to say" same ,same" how you train is how you compete.

What you do is what you get!

• Like 3

Agreed, except for me CCS and TNS are very hard on the tendons in my fingers and through my wrist.