Child Size Grippers

acorn

I've been working on these for a bit and wanted to share. One I did for Jedd's daughter for her 5th Birthday, working 2/3rds scale with custom wound spring, knurled aluminum handles, etc. Shown with IM #1.5 for scale.

post-9402-0-66981400-1428949796_thumb.jp

Also did an 80% scale one for Martin's older kids. Here it is in the middle with a #3 on left and 2/3rd scale prototype I did for my almost 5yr old daughter on the right.

post-9402-0-77937400-1428950016_thumb.jp

Edited by acorn
  • Like 16

Even I tinker with the kids one from time-to-time :grin:

My son said he is close to closing it with one hand. I didn't see the attempt, so we'll see what he does the next time I'm doing grippers in the garage. :grin:

The craftsmanship on these smaller grippers is amazing!

• Like 1

Man I'd love to get one for my son

I can make more if people are interested.

• Like 4

Definitely interested Aaron. He's always getting into my grippers and is already showing interest. It would make his day.

i am definetly interested

Those little grippers are pretty sick.

• Like 1

I would buy one or two. I have three small yet growing boys!

• Like 1

Aaron, you already know it - but I'm interested! :grin:

• Like 1

I've been working on these for a bit and wanted to share. One I did for Jedd's daughter for her 5th Birthday, working 2/3rds scale with custom wound spring, knurled aluminum handles, etc. Shown with IM #1.5 for scale.

attachicon.gif20150406_220741-small.jpg

Also did an 80% scale one for Martin's older kids. Here it is in the middle with a #3 on left and 2/3rd scale prototype I did for my almost 5yr old daughter on the right.

attachicon.gif20150401_210348-small.jpg

These are amazing little works of art! I get a big kick out of them. My daughter (just turned 2 years old a few weeks ago) has started pulling the few grippers I have out of their storage box in her bedroom closet to play with them. Figured I should get one to fit her size, lol. Will probably make me start training comp-style grippers again, but at a lower intensity level than my top strength...more on that in a different post though.

• Like 2

They look Great!! Well done, what kind of age would you recommend the smaller ones for? Already got my 2 1/2 year old trained how to identify the dog leg and hold the gripper lol

Also how would these compare to the light IMTUG's (is the spread different etc...)

JayCee's gripper came out awesome. She loves it. I'm sure she could close it if she'd listen to my technique advice, but she is as hard headed as they get. Much the same as me when I started, I refused to learn the set.

• Like 1

JayCee's gripper came out awesome. She loves it. I'm sure she could close it if she'd listen to my technique advice, but she is as hard headed as they get. Much the same as me when I started, I refused to learn the set.

My daughter Juniper can get hers closed about one in 5 tries due to set. Helps that she is bull strong. She loves it too and also amazingly stubborn. No idea where she gets that from. Really glad she likes it Jedd and glad I was able to get it there in time for the Birthday.

- Aaron

They look Great!! Well done, what kind of age would you recommend the smaller ones for? Already got my 2 1/2 year old trained how to identify the dog leg and hold the gripper lol

The 2/3rds scale ones with that spring are a good fit for around 4-6 or 7 I think. I can do other spring sizes though and am going to get some additional smaller spring wire as well as in between some of the existing sizes I have. Also going to do some test ones in 50% scale for the younger ones since I have been getting some inquiries. I had made one in 50% scale for my daughter when she was in the 2 1/2 to 3yr time frame but the spring was very thin and she eventually bent it backwards. Sizing handle wise was good with the smaller ones though.

Also how would these compare to the light IMTUG's (is the spread different etc...)

Much smaller handle diameter and smaller spring, as well as smaller spread. Made to fit the smaller child or kids sized hands like a regular gripper fits our adult size hands.

- Aaron