Can I Grease The Groove The Coc #2?

duckplus

I just got my COC #2 today, and I can close it when I set it just a little deeper than a CCS. Prior to this, all I did in the way of grippers was close my #1 throughout the day, pretty much everyday. When I first got my #1, I TNS it on my first try, but that was essentially a 1 rep max for me. Then I just kept getting better until I could overcrush it. Will this be the case with the #2, or do I need to follow a more structured routine to master it?

Please note that the only grippers I have are a #1, #2, and a gripper similar to the Ivanko Super Gripper. I know it would help to get a #2.5, but I really don't want to spend more money right now. I'm hoping I can work with what I have.

Thank you

You can close that thing as many times as you like. Just make damn sure to stop as soon as anything near your elbow starts hurting... that's a sign to take a break.

If you had an easy time closing it for the first time, you've probably got some beginner gains still coming your way. Rest periodically when you feel weak, resume when you feel strong. As you get to the point of diminishing returns you'll learn how often your body can train and when it needs rest. Just remember to listen to it.

• Like 2

I used that approach for the 1, 2 and 3 actually. For me I've never had a set gripper program. I don't have set days I'll use them. I may use them back to back a couple days or take a month off. I will say the jump to the 3 is much bigger than the 1-2. I had no bridge grippers anyway and there was no such thing as coc half grippers or a lot of these other ones like ghp and what not.

I did try the hose clamp method a couple times and it may have helped some on the end crush. But I never liked the idea of having the gripper choked down in a hose clamp. I thought it would weaken it. So I took it off every time. When you get good on the two you can start going for 3 and then 2 finger closes to make it harder. And of course high reps which are fun.

King Crusher- So did you make efficient progress with the #2 with this method? Also, I have the same apprehension toward the hose clamp, though it does seem like it would be beneficial.

But I never liked the idea of having the gripper choked down in a hose clamp. I thought it would weaken it. So I took it off every time.

From some of my ratings data recently, I am leaning in this direction as well. I believe extended time in a choker will weaken a gripper. How much or how quickly, I have no idea.

I'm just seeing a correlation between low outliers and finding out they spent extended time in a choker.

@Cannon, pardon if you thought about this already, but I could also see people wanting to close their first #3 putting their easiest 3 in a choker so they could work with it.

I find this more believable because even if grippers got easier in a choker, if it did so to the point of creating outliers, people would catch on quickly. There wouldn't be a debate. So although I find minimal-moderate weakening feasible, no bigger changes are likely.

• Like 1

Duck, yes I did make good progress on the two that way. Basically just randomly training on it however I felt at the time. I was big into increasing my reps on the two even before I could close my 3. I could do over 50 1/4" type reps on the 2 around the same time I could get a single on the 3. But to get good on a heavier gripper you do have to attempt it plenty.

The hose clamp will not hurt it if you just put it on and use it then take it off. It's kinda a pain but that's what I did. I only used clamps for a very short period of time anyway. Maybe a month or two then I got sick of taking them off and putting them on a lot haha.

Cannon, you're the pro so it's good to hear you agree it may weaken it some. Just seems logical that it would a little if kept clamped.