3/8" X 8 1/8" G2 Dead

Frank Pizzo

So I haven't been bending much since my Red and Shiny certs. This was only my second full workout since then. My first workout last week resulted in a failure to complete a Sexabastard so I wanted some redemption of some kind today. I decided to do some more work with 8" lengths and managed a decent PR in that respect. I actually bent two of these back to back, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Since the bending section seems pretty dead lately I figured I had better upload this bend and help keep things moving.

As always thanks for checking my stuff out.

• Like 2

That looked positively painful, but great bending brother!

Question: Is a Sexabastard a Shiny Hex Bastard?

Holy crap Frank that's awesome brother!! Strong through out the bend! Sexabastard is going to go down very very soon! You could probably cut down that bolt and still bend it ;)

Great bend Frank! Boy those long threads on the G2 looks scary. Like they're perfectly made to break during a bend.

That looked positively painful, but great bending brother!

Question: Is a Sexabastard a Shiny Hex Bastard?

Thanks brother, and yeah you're exactly right about the Sexabastard: 7" x 5/16" stainless hex from FBBC

Holy crap Frank that's awesome brother!! Strong through out the bend! Sexabastard is going to go down very very soon! You could probably cut down that bolt and still bend it

Thanks Josh, I hope to kill the stainless hex next session...and unfortunately I have cut a few of these down to 7" but haven't managed a full bend yet...but possibly 7.5 though....

Very nice, Frank! Those 3/8" Grade 2s are pretty fun to bend.

Thanks Ben, and yeah I would also rate this bend as pretty fun...a good challenging kink without being completely draining and a crush that's manageable but still hard enough to feel like I'm working myself out...Like I mentioned to Josh though...once I cut one of these down to 7" it stops me in the sweep so I would say at that length it loses a bit in the fun department lol.

Great bend Frank! Boy those long threads on the G2 looks scary. Like they're perfectly made to break during a bend.

Thanks a lot David, and yeah the threads actually bent on a sharper angle than the rest of the bolt, indicating I was walking on the line of possible thread snapping....I did take precautions when I wrapped the bolt by moving the wraps further up than I usually do to try and reduce the chance of that happening....I bent an Edgin during my last session, but all the movement was in the threads...they moved to around 45 degrees with the rest of the bolt only moving a few degrees at best...once I noticed and unwrapped it I felt a bit nervous knowing I could have snapped them off if I would have hit the first bend any harder.... so keeping the wraps in well past the threads is definitely on my mind now when I do bolts.

• Like 1

Thanks Ben, and yeah I would also rate this bend as pretty fun...a good challenging kink without being completely draining and a crush that's manageable but still hard enough to feel like I'm working myself out...Like I mentioned to Josh though...once I cut one of these down to 7" it stops me in the sweep so I would say at that length it loses a bit in the fun department lol.

I hear that. Those always felt harder than the ratings to me. I think they are incredible for building kink and sweep strength though. For pure crushdown strength training I preferred Stainless-303. I can't tell you how many 3/8" G2s I cut down (cut the threads off and the bolt head so it wouldn't tear up my IMPs or leather pads as badly) in the months leading up to my Fantastic Cert. I was probably horribly overtrained actually by the time I finally bent my first Fantastic. In fact, with the benefit of hindsight - I'm sure that's a very true statement.

I never bent a 3/8"x4" G2 in a 5-minute time limit. But I used to have a good collection of them around the garage in various degrees of "steel death." :grin:

Right around the time I certed on the Fantastic, I bent a 3/8"x4.75" G2 (HKT on the head) in almost exactly the same time limit. Double pads. Just like the Fantastic. So for me at least, I could subtract about 3/4" from whatever 3/8" G2 bend and be pretty confident about getting a successful bend. This worked whether it was just IMPs or double pads - for me, an Insane in IMPs = a 3/8"x5.25" G2 in IMPs.

I hear that. Those always felt harder than the ratings to me. I think they are incredible for building kink and sweep strength though. For pure crushdown strength training I preferred Stainless-303. I can't tell you how many 3/8" G2s I cut down (cut the threads off and the bolt head so it wouldn't tear up my IMPs or leather pads as badly) in the months leading up to my Fantastic Cert. I was probably horribly overtrained actually by the time I finally bent my first Fantastic. In fact, with the benefit of hindsight - I'm sure that's a very true statement.

I never bent a 3/8"x4" G2 in a 5-minute time limit. But I used to have a good collection of them around the garage in various degrees of "steel death." :grin:

Right around the time I certed on the Fantastic, I bent a 3/8"x4.75" G2 (HKT on the head) in almost exactly the same time limit. Double pads. Just like the Fantastic. So for me at least, I could subtract about 3/4" from whatever 3/8" G2 bend and be pretty confident about getting a successful bend. This worked whether it was just IMPs or double pads - for me, an Insane in IMPs = a 3/8"x5.25" G2 in IMPs.

Thanks for that post Ben,

Those are some pretty interesting observations (and some crazy bends!). I think for me its very similar but not quite the same, at least with the current 3/8 bolts I have. I can take down a big bastard with little problem in IMP's, and a huge in doubles, but these bolts at 7" stop me...I haven't tried a length between 7 and 8 yet so I may yet find the proper correlation for myself in the future.

Oh and yeah, I just bought a bunch of shiny bastards and started kinking them and setting them aside for crush workouts, so hopefully that will bring my crush up to where it needs to be.

Strong bend!

Thanks Nick

Awesome bend Frank!

Thanks Jose

I can take down a big bastard with little problem in IMP's, and a huge in doubles, but these bolts at 7" stop me...I haven't tried a length between 7 and 8 yet so I may yet find the proper correlation for myself in the future.

Are you bending these 3/8" G2s with the threads intact? If you are, here's a suggestion that worked better for me. Buy 8" Fat G2s and then cut 1" of the threads off to get a 7" Fat G2. One of the great benders (don't remember who: Aaron, Eric, Gamidon, etc.?) told me after they watched a video of me having a bit of a hard time with a 7" Fat G2 that I needed to cut the threads off and that I was holding back physically because MENTALLY I was worried about the threads breaking and either punching myself or stabbing myself in the neck.

Second suggestion is to (still give the thread-cutting a try) cut the bolt head off and that will make it fit much tighter in the wraps. This alone helped me bend shorter bolts.

I can take down a big bastard with little problem in IMP's, and a huge in doubles, but these bolts at 7" stop me...I haven't tried a length between 7 and 8 yet so I may yet find the proper correlation for myself in the future.

Are you bending these 3/8" G2s with the threads intact? If you are, here's a suggestion that worked better for me. Buy 8" Fat G2s and then cut 1" of the threads off to get a 7" Fat G2. One of the great benders (don't remember who: Aaron, Eric, Gamidon, etc.?) told me after they watched a video of me having a bit of a hard time with a 7" Fat G2 that I needed to cut the threads off and that I was holding back physically because MENTALLY I was worried about the threads breaking and either punching myself or stabbing myself in the neck.

Second suggestion is to (still give the thread-cutting a try) cut the bolt head off and that will make it fit much tighter in the wraps. This alone helped me bend shorter bolts.

I cut the bolt head off of the Fat G2's and left the threads intact. I removed the bolt head so I could get a tighter wrap, but I hadn't considered also removing length from the threads after removing the head. I assumed the threads likely wouldn't break because I didn't think I would be able to generate enough force to snap them off being the bolts were 3/8....but after nearly destroying the threads on an Edgin I've been rethinking that assumption lol.

Another possible answer is I might not be as good at 7" lengths as you are and that's why I cant get one past the sweep .

Or maybe the batch of G2's I bought are a bit harder...I got a Sexabastard through the sweep and failed on the crush without too much trouble but the 3/8 G2 barely moves for me...and I mean barely lol!

Whatever the reason I just need to keep working on it and eventually I'll get stronger.

Thanks for all the advice Ben, I appreciate it man.

Strong bend Frank!

Crazy strong bend Frank.

Strong bend Frank!

Thanks for checking it out Carl

Crazy strong bend Frank.

Thanks a lot Andrew, I plan on a rematch with the shiny hex this weekend...I'm optimistic that the crush will go easier this time.

Frank this is an awesome bend. Truly impressive. You are progressing fast as hell. After the kink that bar went down fast as hell. And those were some pretty small doubles. If you were in the "zone" you could kill a SS hex, I have faith bro. It will suck and you'll work for it, but you will win in the end. Your strength is there for sure.

Frank this is an awesome bend. Truly impressive. You are progressing fast as hell. After the kink that bar went down fast as hell. And those were some pretty small doubles. If you were in the "zone" you could kill a SS hex, I have faith bro. It will suck and you'll work for it, but you will win in the end. Your strength is there for sure.

Thank you very much EJ, it means a lot brother!

I agree that If I'm in the zone the Shiny Hex is gonna go down...in fact the SS Hex that stopped me at 3 1/8 the other day got crushed down to 2 1/4 last night, so I'm feeling pretty pumped to try one again!