170kg Iron Grip Cert

Raspberry Ape

Bend starts around 3.40

Finding I have a lot more problem with the crush than the kink and sweep. Any advice on training the crush. Gripper crush downs? Any good? Iso work?

Cheers

Dan
  • Like 1

I have the opposite problem at the moment. Kink strength has dropped but crush down has gone up. The thing for me with crush was bending lots of medium strength bars and doing volume on the crush down part of the bend, from about 3.5". Also I found I wasn't putting enough pressure on the very ends of the bar, with my hand positioning.

Nice bend by the way!

Edited by JoshW

Iso's, max effort 5s is 1 rep, a few sets of a few reps amd it'll sky rocket. When in doubt, give Wiggy and EJ a shout. ;)

Very nice job Dan.

I'm in the same boat as you with my crush lagging behind my kink and sweep.

But, I've had very good success increasing my crush substantially by finding a length of 5/16" CRS I can kink and sweep but can't quite finish, setting the bar aside for a few days then coming back to it and trying to crush it down. Eventually, so far, all these bars that froze on me have started moving.

I also warm-up first with gripper chest crushes before I go all out on a piece of steel.

So for you, I might recommend bending a piece of 5/16" CRS (i.e. a Red Nail) cut to 6.5" or 6"...and not finishing it. Just let it cool down and set it aside for your crush workout...on the day of the workout then warm-up with chest crushes from your #1 CoC all the way up to your #4 CoC before giving that frozen bar some hell. If you find the transition from 6.5 to 6 difficult, try 6.25 or maybe go by millimeters for small increments.

Hope this helps Dan.

• Like 1

You need something semi easy to kink say around 500lbs and a bitch to crush. I would pick up 5/16" or 8mm stainless and do volume work with that.

Dan, you're in the UK if I remember correctly. 8mm SS is easy to find if I'm not mistaken. Just cut 7" lengths and watch your strength sky rocket.

Frank that's great, much appreciated. I'm yet to use gripper chest crushes in either training or as a warm up, will definitely start. As well as hitting some pre-swept bars. Nice one.

EJ that's awesome. Will get on that ASAP. would you advise splitting kink and crush days for that or just hit lots of full bends?

Frank that's great, much appreciated. I'm yet to use gripper chest crushes in either training or as a warm up, will definitely start. As well as hitting some pre-swept bars. Nice one.

EJ that's awesome. Will get on that ASAP. would you advise splitting kink and crush days for that or just hit lots of full bends?

SS work hardens much faster and stiffer than CRS. So if it were me, I would bend a few pieces from start to finish and build up strength and get used to how SS bends. It bends different than CRS and takes some getting used to. But ideally you would want to split the days up to get maximum strength and use from a single bar.

• Like 1

Daniel - that's excellent job!! We are very happy to see more our western friends in our rating lists!

We here in Russia came to volume work as it was said above.
Goal is to bend 10 bars in one workout which are 90% of your max. This is where calibrated stock works superb - we can write programs similar to powerlifting. When you hit 10 bars you may 10 kilos for freestyle and 5 kilos for wrist styles in min pads. Probably you will get 6 bars at first but in 2-3 weeks you will come up to 10.

About crush - my friend Alex Pritula is working now 10 bars, bending them to 4" between ends. At the end of workout he just crushes all of them one-by-one.

Hope this helps.

Daniel - that's excellent job!! We are very happy to see more our western friends in our rating lists!

We here in Russia came to volume work as it was said above.

Goal is to bend 10 bars in one workout which are 90% of your max. This is where calibrated stock works superb - we can write programs similar to powerlifting. When you hit 10 bars you may 10 kilos for freestyle and 5 kilos for wrist styles in min pads. Probably you will get 6 bars at first but in 2-3 weeks you will come up to 10.

About crush - my friend Alex Pritula is working now 10 bars, bending them to 4" between ends. At the end of workout he just crushes all of them one-by-one.

Hope this helps.

Much apprciated Ivan

When you hit 10 bars you may 10 kilos for freestyle and 5 kilos for wrist styles in min pads

It should be said: When you hit 10 bars you may ADD 10 kilos for freestyle and 5 kilos for wrist styles in min pads