Rubber Mats And Wood Questions.

anwnate

Working on the design of my garage gym (concrete floor) and I just read through the archives regarding flooring and rubber mats.

At this point I'm leaning towards getting a bunch of 3/4" x 4' x 6' horse stall mats at around $43 a piece.

These rubber mats are around 100lbs.

While I'm currently planning on building a deadlift platform, I'm wondering if I need to put down plywood underneath other areas covered by mats.

I believe a few people suggested this be done.

If anyone has done this...has there been any problems with moisture, mold or warping?

Also...any idea how thick should the plywood be?

Another question... the mats from tractor supply used to have a textured top and grooves on the bottom, but no longer do. Are those qualities necessary?

I saw some mats with the bottom ribbing on CL for $56 a piece...but obv would rather not pay the extra if possible.

So far I've found a bunch at reasonable prices...but I live pretty far from the farm belt and am certainly not paying for shipping.

So...if you have a lead on rubber mats in the NJ, DE, Eastern PA or Souther NY...I'm all ears. Thanks.

We sell 2x2 ballistic mats( they catch bullets) and they are in sizes of an inch or two inches they work beautifully for any drop or platform configuration. Otherwise a3/4 mat will work. Plywood underneath unless it is a soft not concrete floor is not needed( it does warp too.the Very best drop area for blobs and heavy dumbbells is a cut up and stacked 1,2,or 3 deep pieces of a memory foam mattress covered by a cloth tarp folded over anand secured by bungi or tie wraps. You can drop boulders on it with no harm. We just made one with a tough cover Sewn by a pro with air vents. Super nice!

We sell 2x2 ballistic mats( they catch bullets) and they are in sizes of an inch or two inches they work beautifully for any drop or platform configuration. Otherwise a3/4 mat will work. Plywood underneath unless it is a soft not concrete floor is not needed( it does warp too.the Very best drop area for blobs and heavy dumbbells is a cut up and stacked 1,2,or 3 deep pieces of a memory foam mattress covered by a cloth tarp folded over anand secured by bungi or tie wraps. You can drop boulders on it with no harm. We just made one with a tough cover Sewn by a pro with air vents. Super nice!

Thanks Richard. Cool idea!

I lift on just a stall mat over concrete, using bumper plates. I drop the odd block weight / kettlebell. It's been a few years and so far there is no damage to the floor.

I keep my equipment on another stall mat, so I don't chip the floor putting it away.

The rest of the floor is bare. My mats do not have the grooves. I've had no moisture issues. They do stink for a few weeks after initial purchase though.

I question if you need to spend the money to cover the entire room. The platform is probably more than enough.

I recommend a full "platform" if you ever intend to do Olympic lifting - one built up with layers of plywood and rubber etc. I helped a guy replace his concrete floor (one heck of a job) from dropping bumpers from overhead onto concrete covered with just Tractor Supply stall mats. Rubber alone is not enough protection in my mind. The concrete used in your average garage is not the same mixture, thickness, or reinforcement as used commercially. Plus I can still hear the sound of the Inch DB hitting my platform from over head (obviously not by me) - a layer of 3/4" rubber is not going to work in that situation. Plan for the best but prepare for the worst. What needs done is you have to spread the stress of items hitting the concrete - and for that the flooring has to do that - a thin rubber mat does not.

Since I sometimes drop weights from overhead in my garage, I have 2x3/4 inch plywood sheets under my rubber mats.

I lift on just a stall mat over concrete, using bumper plates. I drop the odd block weight / kettlebell. It's been a few years and so far there is no damage to the floor.

I keep my equipment on another stall mat, so I don't chip the floor putting it away.

The rest of the floor is bare. My mats do not have the grooves. I've had no moisture issues. They do stink for a few weeks after initial purchase though.

I question if you need to spend the money to cover the entire room. The platform is probably more than enough.

I'm trying to walk a reasonable line with being as conservative as possible, but at the same time doing it right the first time. I do however intend on hosting group workouts and contests down the road...so I will be concerning myself with protecting things from people who don't live there. Good to know about the lack of moisture. Thanks.

I recommend a full "platform" if you ever intend to do Olympic lifting - one built up with layers of plywood and rubber etc. I helped a guy replace his concrete floor (one heck of a job) from dropping bumpers from overhead onto concrete covered with just Tractor Supply stall mats. Rubber alone is not enough protection in my mind. The concrete used in your average garage is not the same mixture, thickness, or reinforcement as used commercially. Plus I can still hear the sound of the Inch DB hitting my platform from over head (obviously not by me) - a layer of 3/4" rubber is not going to work in that situation. Plan for the best but prepare for the worst. What needs done is you have to spread the stress of items hitting the concrete - and for that the flooring has to do that - a thin rubber mat does not.

Does a "full platform" mean 4 pieces of plywood (2 NS and 2 EW) with a 5th one on top with rubber on the sides? Or are you talking about something more substantial? Thanks Chris.

Since I sometimes drop weights from overhead in my garage, I have 2x3/4 inch plywood sheets under my rubber mats.

Jedd...have you noticed any warping? Also...did you just lay the sheets atop each other...or did you screw them to create a unit? Thanks brotherrrrr.

Does a "full platform" mean 4 pieces of plywood (2 NS and 2 EW) with a 5th one on top with rubber on the sides? Or are you talking about something more substantial? Thanks Chris.

That is what I have 2 down - 2 across - one down the middle and rubber on the sides. It has held up for 13 years now and still looks like new. I had it up when I installed my rubber flooring and the concrete looked like new under it. Lots on Olympic lifting done on it - nothing truly heavy with mostly just me doing it but I've had a few strong guys visit and drop substantial loads. Done this way with lots of screws I have had zero warping. It also provides a clutter free zone to do whatever on - unlike the rest of the floor space which ends up with stuff scattered everywhere at times.

• Like 2

"2 down, 2 across, one down the middle and rubber on the sides" is what I have too and it's held up fine as well. If I cared to re-do it, I suppose I might add an additional layer of plywood underneath...but it's really not necessary unless you plan on dropping something like the Inch from overhead.

With your carpentry skills, I can't wait to see what you come up with...no pressure of course :)

• Like 1

I actually used 1/2" plywood covered with 1/4" Masonite.

Tractor supply sells house stall mats, Google a location

• Like 1

Ja..thanks man.

I was on the phone with them this a.m. There is one around 12 miles away from the new house.

However the stock they actually carry differs from the write up...instead of the textured top and grooved bottom...it's smooth on both sides.

I had thought there was benefit to the texture...but if not...I'll definitely pick em up there.

Ja..thanks man.

I was on the phone with them this a.m. There is one around 12 miles away from the new house.

However the stock they actually carry differs from the write up...instead of the textured top and grooved bottom...it's smooth on both sides.

I had thought there was benefit to the texture...but if not...I'll definitely pick em up there.

Nate, I have these exact mats from tractor supply. You don't need texture, these are perfect. Can't wait to make the trip up and see the gym when it gets done!
  • Like 1

My gym is done with side of the road tractor trailer mud flaps LOL!

• Like 2

I have those, smooth on both sides from tractor supply. 4x8 I believe. Works great.

• Like 1

Ja..thanks man.

Nate, I have these exact mats from tractor supply. You don't need texture, these are perfect. Can't wait to make the trip up and see the gym when it gets done!

Good deal McNeil...glad to hear it. Can't wait also man!

My gym is done with side of the road tractor trailer mud flaps LOL!

Ha yeah...I read that in that older thread. I gotta tell you though...I've never seen one on the side of the road.

I must get highway zone out. ;)

I have those, smooth on both sides from tractor supply. 4x8 I believe. Works great.

Okay then...winner winner chicken dinner. Thanks!

You got to keep you eyes peeled. Heres why.

when you do lots of grip stuff like 2hp for example and things that you drop alot its nice to have a little buffer so you dont mess up your new floor that your going to buy

• Like 1

when you do lots of grip stuff like 2hp for example and things that you drop alot its nice to have a little buffer so you dont mess up your new floor that your going to buy

That's a really good point. I'll make sure I create some kind of top layer for use during practice under the Euro...no big deal to pull it away for comps. Thanks.

There are a ton of minutia involved with gym building...I'm appreciative of all the chime ins.

When I lift on just the stall mat, I am not dropping weights from overhead or hosting other lifters. The hardest my floor might be hit is a controlled drop of a clean. I am also using Hi-Temp bumper plates, which I believe are more forgiving than competitive plates.

That's a really good point. I'll make sure I create some kind of top layer for use during practice under the Euro...no big deal to pull it away for comps. Thanks.

There are a ton of minutia involved with gym building...I'm appreciative of all the chime ins.

I am continually tweaking my gym - moving things around, adding new items and selling old ones. It's sort of fun actually.

• Like 1