Guess The Gripper Rating

Jedd Johnson

Can you guess the rating on an unrated gripper based on how far someone can close it, compared to another gripper that is rated and how far they can close that?

That's the game I invite you to play today.

Place your guesses below or in the comments section of the video.

Thanks.

Jedd

152#

155#

Replied on FB also, but low 140-ish.

Hope the price will be a new dishwasher! (Or 'Jeddwasher' )

• 3 weeks later...

I will be making a video of this soon, but while I am here, I wanted to post that the gripper rating came out to 147, so Tommy was extremely close. Thanks for playing, Guess the Gripper Rating.

• Like 1

I did not play. I would have said 149 pounds. Here is my math:

1. Works for me, not necessarily what it would be for others.

2. I estimated that Jedd was 1/8th of an inch off of closing the hard gripper.

3. My estimate for me is that each 1/16th of an inch equals 5 pounds. That comes to 10 pounds. If he was closing the easier one, barely, it meant it was 147 pounds.

4. I figured Jedd was 2 pounds away from closing, so I would have estimated 149 pounds for the easier gripper.

• Like 1

In the past i have ccs my 154 #3, and then directly after that attempted my 175 #3.5 and noticed about the exact width gap (1/4"-3/16").

I have found that that small gap can represent up to 21 pounds of difference. But, that said, i may have been able to ccs up to a 165lb gripper on the same day, but just didnt have one to try. So while distance from closed may represent what a gripper would/could rate, it can also be very misleading.

If that makes sense?..

I guess my methodology is not that far off of yours. If you are talking about 1/4 of an inch, sure 21 pounds sounds right on the money to me.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Interesting theory, Hubgeezer. Any particular reason you assign 10lbs to each 1/16th increment?

Interesting theory, Hubgeezer. Any particular reason you assign 10lbs to each 1/16th increment?

Jedd,

Five pounds per 1/16th, 5 pounds.

It is what has worked for me based on what I can and cannot close with grippers that are rated, getting close, etc. Of course, my "1/16th" is an estimate, as is my 5 pounds. But, for me, I can get 98% plus accurate. I think it really only applies to the last quarter of an inch. You go something like 3/4 of an inch on a Number 4, I don't think the same estimates apply at all.

• Like 1

There was an article in an old "Iron Grip" magazine of David Horne's, where Mikael S had his methodology of calculating grippers. The originated "calibrated" grippers that were for "Euro" contests were based on his methodology. It was a much more sophisticated version than mine, but the same logic: one man's observations and estimates. They had "2.96" Number 3s, 2.72 Lemley, 2.49 SuperMaster, etc.

Jedd,

Five pounds per 1/16th, 5 pounds.

It is what has worked for me based on what I can and cannot close with grippers that are rated, getting close, etc. Of course, my "1/16th" is an estimate, as is my 5 pounds. But, for me, I can get 98% plus accurate. I think it really only applies to the last quarter of an inch. You go something like 3/4 of an inch on a Number 4, I don't think the same estimates apply at all.

My bad, typed too quick.

I will remember the 5lbs per 1/16th inch though. Pretty cool.