Metroflex Elite Grip Challenge-may 4th 2013

mightyjoe

This coming weekend I'll be holding the Metroflex Elite Grip Challenge at the Ronnie Coleman Classic, May 4th

all day Saturday at the Mesquite Convention Center starting at 10:00 am!

There will be 6 feats for each participant to try with a 2 minute time limit. The feats are as follows:

1) Grip Dynamometer

2) #45 Hub Lift - actual weight plate that weighs exactly 45 lbs.

3) Blob50

4) Saxon Bar Pinch Dead Lift - #175

5) TNS Gripper Close - Narrow Elite rated @ #140 by Eric Milfled and again 3 different times by myself.

6) "Try Me" Circus Dumbbell - #196 with 2" diameter handle. Made by my son Cody Musselwhite.

Each paid ($5.00 to try ALL feats) participant will receive a very nice 8.5" x 11" Certificate of Achievement" marking their achievements with a recording of what they squeezed on the Hand Grip Dynamometer.

I doing this in conjunction with Brian Dobson, owner/founder of Metroflex Gym franchise and the man that started

the Ronnie Coleman Classic Fitness Expo! Brian is an awesome individual with a true passion for the Iron Game and all it represents!!!

If any of you GB members are in the area please stop by and say hello and give my Elite Grip Challenge a Go!

There's many other events going on the same day with the Texas Stae Arm Wrestling Championships going on right next to my booth. Bodybuilding contest, Powerlifting contest, Fitness models, and much MORE... Last year Ronnie Coleman himself was there giving autographs and taking pics with fans! If you've never met this guy in person and up close you are indeed missing out on a remarkable experience of muscle mass at its finest! WOW!!!

I really LOVE these types of events because it allows one to try and discover that possible "one of a kind" Grip Mutant that us grip guys always wonder about possibly lurking around somewhere! Could one be there this Saturday? We'll see!!!

My apologies for posting this Challenge so late! I also realize that this is not a contest but an individual challenge for anyone to try and accomplish!

Should be FUN for sure!!!

• Like 1

I've decided to take the Grip Dynamometer out of the Challenge and replace this

feat with an Anvil Horn Lift loaded to 172 lbs. The Anvil Horn Trainer was made by Delmar Carter. I will

be using a Sorinex loading pin to hold the plates.

I will now have 2 separate activities taking place tomorrow. Along with the Metroflex Elite Grip Challenge

I will offer Grip Strength Testing in 2 areas, the crush and the key pinch. I will be using 2 dynamometers

made and calibrated by Baseline. One is for measuring ones crushing grip and the other is to measure

ones pinch in the form of a key pinch.

I'm really excited about this event because I get to meet new people and introduce new people to the sport

of Grip! Not to mention I'm very anxious to see what kind of numbers I get from all different types of people/athletes.

Some time next week I will get an average on both lists and post my findings. I will also note any stand outs who get

really high numbers on either dynamometer.

Stay tuned...

One guy did complete the Elite Grip Challenge today and did it in style.

This kid (Craig Runyoun) was 18 years old and went through the feats like nothing! Even more impressive was his deceptive appearance of someone you wouldn't deem as strong for sure. Tall (6' 5") and skinny (lanky) maybe 210 - 220 lbs. But at Grip strength this kid blew my mind and the onlookers as well!

He squeezed 238 lbs. on the Baseline right hand! He got 43 lbs. on the key pinch right hand which is the highest recorded key pinch I've seen or tested to date! Paul Knight got 37 lbs. right handed if this gives you an idea of this kids power!

He lifted Cody's 196 lb. 2" handle DB off the ground so fast I literally couldn't believe my eyes!

The Blob50 went straight up too! #45 plate by hub? No problem for this kid!

Saxon Bar loaded to 175 lbs. was lifted so easy by this kid that I had to double check the weight plates! I thought maybe someone had took the 25's off without me knowing it.

He slammed the #140 gripper down so hard (TNS at that) and fast that me or Cody neither one seen the handles touch but he did it with such force that we both heard a metallic click even among a noisy crowd.

The anvil horn loaded to 172 lbs. went up without hesitation as well.

The only problem is that he caught us off guard and I didn't video his first go of all 6 feats. Later on he agreed to come back for another run but this time with the video camera rolling! He didn't do as well this round because he had just finished the strongman competition.

The only other people to complete all 6 feats were my son Cody who did them over and over many times for spectators with

Pro Bench Pressing Champion (RAW), Big Al Davis completing all but one feat which was the #140 gripper of which he just barely

missed. Also trying the Challenge was World Champion Power Lifter Jeremy Scruggs (128 lbs.)! This little stick of dynamite gave a mighty go

at the feats but his hands were truly tiny by all standards. The guy put on an amazingly intense effort though!

Still by far the most impressive performance of the day was Craig! Hands down!

Watch the video and you decide!

Almost forgot! We had 8 women try the feats at a reduced weight! Great to watch being most of them was power lifters!

I'll download the video tomorrow and get it posted ASAP!!!

Stay tuned...

Edited by Mighty Joe

Nice write-up Joe! Sounds like a lot of fun. Strong performance by Craig!

Here's the video of Craig's 2nd run of my Elite Grip Challenge after his hands were fried from dead lifting

in the Strongman Competition. His first run was CRAZY good! He went through all the feats like nothing!

Promising Grip Phenom right here guys!!!

ENJOY the video!!!

Here's Big Al Davis (Pro Bench Presser, 670 RAW) giving my Elite Grip Challenge an awesome display of grip strength!

We all had an absolute BLAST all day long watching people test their grip strength against established feats recognized

as Elite level grip!

Met many new people and had some great conversations when introducing newcomers to this awesome sport we

call Grip!!!

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 1

I am not surprised in the least by al's performance he is one of the strongest men on the planet.

Yet the 18 year olds performance is shocking for sure. Do you know his background at all or hand size? How much does he weigh? I'm about his same height and i would like to be as lean as him. Like did he work with his hands at all growing up or do sports that involve grip strength? He kind of reminds me of andrew durniant but a little bigger.

Looks like you had a great time, and a solid crowd also. Hopefully some people got interested in grip training and sign up on here to be apart of the community.

I am not surprised in the least by al's performance he is one of the strongest men on the planet.

Yet the 18 year olds performance is shocking for sure. Do you know his background at all or hand size? How much does he weigh? I'm about his same height and i would like to be as lean as him. Like did he work with his hands at all growing up or do sports that involve grip strength? He kind of reminds me of andrew durniant but a little bigger.

Looks like you had a great time, and a solid crowd also. Hopefully some people got interested in grip training and sign up on here to be apart of the community.

When I went through the crowd to hunt Craig down after his first performance he was competing in the Strongman competition so I waited till he finished his event at that time and asked him if would come over and try the Grip Challenge again but this time with the video camera rolling. He agreed! Before I went back to my space I asked him about his background as an athlete and he told me he's never trained his grip and he went on to say he doesn't even train strongman. He just enters strongman competitions when he can because he thinks they're cool. Craig went on to say he lives for challenges specially strength challenges. I was about to ask him his occupation when his name got called up again so I never did get that information. Good news is I got his mailing address and phone number so I can call him and get more information. I almost forgot! Craig squeezed 238 lbs with his right hand on my Baseline first try and 43 lbs. on my pinch dynamometer for his key pinch. That's the highest # on a key pinch I ever witnessed or heard of! My good friend and Grip Freak, Paul Knight got 37 lbs. on my dyno for his right hand key pinch if this gives you any idea of just how strong this kid was! STRONGEST first time Grip newbie I've ever seen or met hands down! And I've met hundreds and hundreds!

BTW, the grip strength measurement certificates I issued had the gripboard.com and my blog as 2 places they could look up for more info on getting involved in grip and how to acquire a stronger grip. I specifically asked Craig to come over and join the Grip Board. Hopefully he will do as I suggested. He sounded really interested in more info on Grip for sure!!!

And yes! We had a great time and the crowd was quite large at times! When Ronnie Coleman started signing autographs right next to my space the crowd really began to grow and so did the number of people trying my Grip Challenge! I wanted to get Ronnie to try my Grip Challenge but it was fruitless trying to get to him and run my booth at the same time.

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 2