King Kong 2014 Scores

Andrew P

I noticed something when looking at the overall standings. If you take the top 20 competitors and look at their individual lift ranks, in all but two cases, the hub is either the competitor's best lift, or worst lift. What does this mean? Is hub strength really that different from the other aspects of grip strength? Interesting...

My theory is that you either care about that event or you don't. If you don't, you don't really train for it. If you do, you train for it. It shows up in the numbers. Until the "Crushed to Dust" Certification popped up, and the texture of the hub was changed at that time, no one cared about it. Just my theory.

^I have a hard time believing this to be the case. I would think that the top 20 finishers are all guys who trained for this event, and they likely trained all of the different lifts.

We had a great time at the NY location. Big Thanks to Eric, Andrew and the rest of the promoters. This competition is always highly anticipated and I'm looking forward to next years comp.

Thank you to all the organizers and all the competitors who helped make this year's King Kong contest a success! There were 73 entries in all, 10 more than last year!

A special congratulations to Ari Siltaoja, this year's "King Kong of Grip"! Kody Burns came in a very close second, and once again had the top lifts in the one-hand pinch and the Little Big Horn.

Personally, I was pleased (not elated) with my performance in the one-hand pinch, axle, and LBH, but the hub just wasn't working for me on this day. I don't know why. Oh well, I know it's not often where one is satisfied with all of their lifts.

I noticed something when looking at the overall standings. If you take the top 20 competitors and look at their individual lift ranks, in all but two cases, the hub is either the competitor's best lift, or worst lift. What does this mean? Is hub strength really that different from the other aspects of grip strength? Interesting...

A quick look at the top 20 shows most of those guys were either good in the hub or good in the axle, but not both. Small hand vs. Big hand?

I see Adam Glass didn't compete. That's too bad. He would've done well at his much lower bodyweight. Neither did Keith Thompson, in the Missouri contest.

That is a lot of work to do. Thank you for putting in that kind of time, energy, expertise, and commitment to do that.

I second this! Super job to everyone involved. Such a large list of competitors and locations. Definitely KING KONG style. Amazing.

Once again Biggest respect to Andrew, his wife and Eric for the enormous amount of accurate and highest-quality labour.
The level of this grip competition became a top notch. Greetings from Russia !!

5nBmne-T5fE.jpg

• Like 3

I see Adam Glass didn't compete. That's too bad. He would've done well at his much lower bodyweight. Neither did Keith Thompson, in the Missouri contest.

Shocking..

I was actually intrigued to see where his numbers would be... I wonder why he's no showing all the time..

Posting some of the videos from my leg of the contest. Right now all I have is 1HP and Axle. Little Big Horn is uploading currently. I can't get the Hub file to render. Not sure if it will get posted or not. I apologize ahead of time for any swearing, crazy antics, or anything crazy in there. I didn't edit these with a lot of detail. I just didn't have the time.

One Hand Pinch:

One Hand Axle:

I want to say thanks to Andrew and his wife and to Eric for putting this all together as the organizers and data managers.

Finally was able to do something with this video, although the audio is all messed up...

Hub Lift:

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank Andrew and Eric for running this contest. This was my first time competing and it was a good experience. Andrew was really organized which made things run smoothly.. Just wanted to say it was awesome competing with Dave and Kody, they pushed me to get PR's in all four events. And Kody is beast. You have some crazy strong hands Kody!

• Like 1

Thanks Jake ! Dude ! Your one of the strongest guys I've ever competed with. Being a new guy and being so strongly balanced already is pretty rare. You got one heck of a strong grip too ! It was pretty awesome witnessing it. Couldnt believe some of the things you were pulling off already. Keep up that hard work !

As far as how the contest went i cant complain about 2nd place other than that it sucks lol. A strained AC Joint still doesnt help at all and I had been up for close to 30 hours with maybe an hour of sleep before the contest. Thats just how my work schedule and life is at the moment. One of these days things will come together ! Just enjoying the ride ! Thanks to everyone involved especially Eric, Andrew and all you other promoters ! Next year King Kong is on like Donkey Kong !

• Like 1

Had the Ironmind LBH record in the bag. I definitely opened up my first attempt too soon. Had 1 attempt left and warmed up and pulled 221, then 226, then took 226 for my 4th attempt and bombed. Must of psyched myself out. Then 10 seconds later I locked it out easy. Then added 10 more pounds and pulled 336. Then put on 242.5 lbs and pulled it twice to half lockout. Oh well...thats how it goes sometimes. Live n Learn :)

Edited by kodyburns

^Wow! I guess it's only a matter of time before you officially break the LBH record!

^Wow! I guess it's only a matter of time before you officially break the LBH record!

It would be nice Eric ! Wish it was contested more than once a year.

I'd like to highlight some of this weekend’s remarkable achievements:

The following competitors hit 0.5x body weight or higher lifts in the one hand pinch:

• Kody Burns
  • Fenne Muhonen
  • Darrin Shallman
  • Yori Skutt (0.6x body weight!)

The following competitors hit body weight or higher lifts in the one hand axle:

• Eric Roussin
  • Kody Burns
  • David Blayan
  • Brian Burgos
  • Yori Skutt

The following competitors hit 0.4x body weight or higher lifts with the hub:

• John Ezra McCarter
  • Brian Burgos
  • Vladimir Abrikoskov
  • Darrin Shallman

The following competitors hit body weight or higher lifts with the Little Big Horn:

• Kody Burns
  • Darrin Shallman

Congratulations, guys!

• Like 11