My 100-Lb "inch Jr." Dumbbell Is Complete!

JakeNS

For awhile now I've wanted to make my own globe dumbbell. One that resembles the inch in every way but lighter. A dumbbell that I could use as a stepping stone for my inch training as well using it for some high volume thick bar work. I can recall multiple times where Andrew P and I discussed about how nice it would be to have a more accurate high quality globe dumbbell. A dumbbell where the handles diameter and length feels exactly the same as the Inch. I know that a lot of other Dumbbells out there that were made with the same idea in mind weren't exactly what I was looking for. Some of the lighter "baby" inches out there have longer handles that seem to be more oblong shaped rather then being perfectly round, and they're panted rather then having a smooth bare iron handle like the inch. So I took it upon myself to get one made. I figured out exactly the right size diameter for the globes after speaking with a foundry and discussing the densitys of its specific iron. Then I was able to draw up my plans for a pattern to be made.. After a little bit of time and $$$$ my pattern is finally complete. Here is the dumbbell from the first pour.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QpzfGa7FmWM

• Like 3

That's really cool...well planned out...I'm kinda curious as well on what the end cost was...regardless of cost very nice baby inch!

Expensive, I've had a few other projects quoted I suspect the mold has to be over 1000$

Bob you'll have to play with it when your in for the Kong

• Like 1

Expensive, I've had a few other projects quoted I suspect the mold has to be over 1000$

Bob you'll have to play with it when your in for the Kong

Kinda what i figured...Any kind of mold work is usually pretty pricey unless you work at a foundry...either way still a cool project ...Hard to put a price on a valuable training piece that'll last a lifetime...again nice work.

Yes, it definitely cost more then I originally thought.but totally worth it to me. I'm more then pleased with the way it turned out. Very well made and feels great.

Looks great Jake, well done!

Thanks Bob, I'll bring it to the King Kong at Andrews for you to try it out.

• Like 1

Yes, it definitely cost more then I originally thought.but totally worth it to me. I'm more then pleased with the way it turned out. Very well made and feels great.

Looks great Jake, well done!

Thanks Bob, I'll bring it to the King Kong at Andrews for you to try it out.

Are you going to be selling these?

• Like 2

Since I had a perminent pattern made I plan on selling the Inch Jr. to anyone that is interesred. I talked with the foundry and have been communicating back and fourth with Andrew P. to set up a page for me too take pre orders till the end of October. This will be a limited production run. I'll leave the link below.

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/InchDumbbellReplicas.html

• Like 3

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you're coming to the Detroit King Kong or Gripmas this year Ill be able to bring the Dumbbells with me to the contests if you'd like to save on the shipping costs.