The Bar Just Got Raised

Paul Savage

It looks like he is contracting every muscle in his body for that gripper feat... I think this is critical for maximum strength in a hold like that.

Great stuff.

It looks like he is contracting every muscle in his body for that gripper feat... I think this is critical for maximum strength in a hold like that.

Great stuff.

Good point... That is called radiant (?) tension. I think. I've heard it thrown around here a few times on the board. And Jedd has written about it... I've only recently started messing with it, but it really seems to get the whole body into the squeeze.

i would point out that this is also the reason we started using weight classes in NAGS comps. especially for an event that is hand size related. arguing that a six six 350 pound guy is going to lift more on the axle than a 170#er doesn't seem like much of an argument to me. while it is a huge lift i don't see the pro strongmen taking a lot of the records in anything other than the 120k+ class. i could be wrong but, i think it's a case of comparing apples to oranges in large part.

• Like 1

Also, Mike was 1 of 13 athletes competing in the grip comp. Many of the 6'+, 300#+ strongmen couldn't break 400# off the ground on the axle. Outside of Mark and Mike, no one lifted the InchDB from the pro-strongman crowd. Mike trains his grip specifically, he cleans the Inch with relative ease, and is not new to block weights and grippers. Mark and Mike have both said that strongman is #1 for them, but grip is a fun challenge on the side and it helps them with strongman events.

• Like 2

good point andrew. also, there do seem to be some people who have the proper hand anatomy for thick bar, regardless of hand size. for instance daniel reinard and i have the same size hands as far as length and span go. yet, he could slightly hook on a RT while I can barely touch.

andrew are you saying that only 4 people even lifted the Inch once in the Inch for reps challenge?

Also, Mike was 1 of 13 athletes competing in the grip comp. Many of the 6'+, 300#+ strongmen couldn't break 400# off the ground on the axle. Outside of Mark and Mike, no one lifted the InchDB from the pro-strongman crowd. Mike trains his grip specifically, he cleans the Inch with relative ease, and is not new to block weights and grippers. Mark and Mike have both said that strongman is #1 for them, but grip is a fun challenge on the side and it helps them with strongman events.

andrew are you saying that only 4 people even lifted the Inch once in the Inch for reps challenge?

Mike had 37, I had 30, Mark was 25ish, Odd 22, Chad had a couple and that it from what i remember. I think only 1-2 broke it from the ground. Most just rolled it around and laughed.
Edited by ADurniat

Do you know if Mike can clean and press the Inch?

Do you know if Mike can clean and press the Inch?

Yes. video is on his facebook page and he apparently did it easily before the comp started as well.

Accusations of drug use and such and talk about roids in general is for other boards...not the GripBoard.

Per our rules:

4. We do not talk about performance enhancing drugs on the GripBoard.

Thanks guys.

I stand on principle. Can we talk about that?

Who cares if he's juiced, there are a TON of guys, and many on this board as well I would bet who couldn't do that no matter how much test was pumped into their system. Stop trying to piss on someones accomplishments.

"U jelly bro?"

Seriously?

I don't know...maybe Andrew Durniat. Just a guess. Maybe it doesn't bother him in the least.

Doesn't bother me at all. We're all there to do our best and try to win the competition. I want to compete against the best and strongest, so I go to the LA FtiExpo. Everything else is a personal decision. My job is to get stronger, I can complain about it or just get stronger.

Andrew, you sound like a class act.

Guest Squat More

You're right Sharkey, anyone can just get on a cycle of test with some orals to jump start and break records, it has nothing to do with any other factor, it's all the juice. I eagerly await you to get on cycle and smash Benni's deadlift record.

wouldn't it be great if grip sport got so popular that "natural" competitions became necessary. till then we need more people to stop lurking and start participating in competitions.

In my opinion... Grip strength is more related to the work you put in and not what you put in your body... Supplements of any kind generally do nothing for a smashing grip

What mike did was phenomenal and I am not in a position to question anybody's ethics

• Like 1

wouldn't it be great if grip sport got so popular that "natural" competitions became necessary. till then we need more people to stop lurking and start participating in competitions.

Looking through the site I saw that they already have world records distinguished by weight class

http://www.gripsport.org/lists.php?list=1&gender=1&event=1&country=all&measurement=1

I feel that is the most important thing. This ironmind contest is geared towards pro strongman and its cool to see what average joe so to speak-Andrew is obviously a world class strength athlete, more reference to his size- can do against a pro strongman. Someone like andrew who is low 200lbs would get demolished in strongman contest yet he placed decently well competing against these same guys in grip. I think these events favored the strongman in general though also if you added like bending and other more technical girp events andrew could have placed even higher. I think its fascinating to see what is possible and helps to motivate me to just get stronger in general.

Did anyone get some videos of the big lifts or the 3.5 cert?

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Reminder of Bill's post above.

Per our rules:

You're right Sharkey, anyone can just get on a cycle of test with some orals to jump start and break records, it has nothing to do with any other factor, it's all the juice. I eagerly await you to get on cycle and smash Benni's deadlift record.

Ump, for someone so smart, you're really kind of an idiot.

Reminder of Bill's post above.

Per our rules:

And why is that?

The main reason is because Bill says so.

Also, because it usually leads to people throwing jabs and flaming one another over something neither of them have any control over. It goes downhill and everyone gets mad, we get to delete stuff and then people can talk bad about the mods. :)

It's in the same category as discussing religion or politics. It's all opinions and a lot of people are passionate on either end of the spectrum.

So Michael Burke makes number 10 on the #3.5 certification list...

So what I want to know is, who will be number 11?

..i vote Juha.

Thats a good candidate

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Apologies to Bill, Heath, and the rest of the board. I just don't like it when others attempt to shit on the accomplishments of someone over things that are not even proven, and IMO are trivial even if true.

Major Kudos to Mike for these records, I would really love to see what he could pull on the Rolling thunder with some focused training. Felix could have someone nipping at his heels and threatening that record too.

I also shudder to imagine what Shaw would do at a competition like this if he got really amped up for it, hearing the stories I have heard. It is my understanding that he toys with feats in training that even some top notch grip guys would struggle with... scary.

..i vote Juha.

Thats a good candidate

Pretty sure Juha will be the next, dude is all around a beast, not many with his passion and dedication.

Apologies to Bill, Heath, and the rest of the board. I just don't like it when others attempt to shit on the accomplishments of someone over things that are not even proven, and IMO are trivial even if true.

Major Kudos to Mike for these records, I would really love to see what he could pull on the Rolling thunder with some focused training. Felix could have someone nipping at his heels and threatening that record too.

I also shudder to imagine what Shaw would do at a competition like this if he got really amped up for it, hearing the stories I have heard. It is my understanding that he toys with feats in training that even some top notch grip guys would struggle with... scary.

..i vote Juha.

Thats a good candidate

Pretty sure Juha will be the next, dude is all around a beast, not many with his passion and dedication.

Especially because you have NO accomplishments of your own? Sorry, I didn't realize you were the FINAL authority on everything. Thanks for clearing it up. We can all rest easy now. Bumpy Umpy is on the case.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Guest Squat More

Last I checked I have a lot more than you do, and I am not the one trying to take away from world class strength like a catty, jealous little high school girl.

While you're on this forum whining about why Mike may or may not have broken those records, and how it is sooooo unfair, Mike was probably eating, sleeping, warming up with a weight that you will never touch, or being an awesome and badass individual in one way or another.

Think about that for a minute or ten.

Last I checked, being a loud mouth who changes his goals every other week wasn't much of an accomplishment, but what do I know. Oh right, you have that Grade 5 bolt you reversed. Blew me away. The wraps WERE touching so that's super legit and awesome. Face it my old friend, you are all talk. Living in the shadows of giants and living off other's accomplishments. But hey, you sound tough, and you know words like 'awesome' and 'badass' and 'jelly' (which I had to google), so its all good.

Hmmm, could it be its YOU who are jealous because you know no matter how many squats you do or how angry you get, you'll never get to the top of the mountain you're always looking up to, and you just don't have the balls to actually take dope to get there and that pisses you off even more? Last I checked, I never claimed to have, want, aspire to, or be capable what you think of as world class strength. But it was fun having you project your massive inadequacy on me. Let's do it again soon. :rock

And Jon, I'm new here and everybody seems real nice, so if you want to continue our hate filled tirade, I'm down, but lets do it in private.