Rgc Vs Actual Difficulty For Choked Grippers

avasatu

So, CPW rated my whole collection, and I noticed something strange.

In training, when I would work with 10 mm choked grippers, my GHP 8 felt noticeably more difficult than my CoC 3.5. For example, there was a workout where I closed the 3.5 for 5 reps and near missed the GHP 8. The next time I did 10 mm choke, I got the GHP 8 for 2, but the CoC 3.5 was still noticeably easier. Yet, I got my ratings back the other day, and I believe the CoC 3.5 was something like 9-10 RGC more difficult. Now, I could understand how this MIGHT make sense if we were talking non choked closes with wider sets. Heck, I'm even willing to buy that something like this might come up in a 20 mm close. But RGC determines the end strength rating of a gripper, which is exactly what 10 mm choke tests. What gives here? I'm certain it's not CPW's fault. I highly doubt it's a brand issue at that close of a choke. Maybe once they were oiled, things changed a bit? I'm honestly stumped here.

• Like 1

I can't quite explain this but first of all these are the ratings:

GHP8 = 168

IM3.5 = 175

I still have the grippers here so I doublechecked those numbers and got the same thing. So then I redid the ratings using a roughly 10 mm block.

GHP8 = 133

IM3.5 = 145

So this means that for the GHP8 the last 10 mm represents about 35 pounds of the total rating. For that IM gripper it's only 30 pounds.

So maybe it matters in some way that the last 10 mm of the GHP represents a higher percentage of the total rating. Otherwise, I have no idea. Possibly the fact that GHPs tend to have a heavy sweep still matters even when the gripper is in the choker. I'm not sure.

• Like 2

I can't quite explain this but first of all these are the ratings:

GHP8 = 168

IM3.5 = 175

I still have the grippers here so I doublechecked those numbers and got the same thing. So then I redid the ratings using a roughly 10 mm block.

GHP8 = 133

IM3.5 = 145

So this means that for the GHP8 the last 10 mm represents about 35 pounds of the total rating. For that IM gripper it's only 30 pounds.

So maybe it matters in some way that the last 10 mm of the GHP represents a higher percentage of the total rating. Otherwise, I have no idea. Possibly the fact that GHPs tend to have a heavy sweep still matters even when the gripper is in the choker. I'm not sure.

Haha, thanks for double checking; you certainly didn't have to! I knew it wasn't something on your end. Interesting analysis you have there. I think the only reasonable answer here, although I hate to admit it, is that 10 mm simply isn't close enough to truly test the "end-rangeness" that the RGC rating so aptly rates. Other possibilities include oiling, and the fact that the strength "curve" between brands may be drastically different.

Edited by avasatu

They were both freshly oiled of course. No problem. It's an interesting question. By all rights the IM "should" be harder in a choker. Have you ever tried the GHP8 first in the workout?

They were both freshly oiled of course. No problem. It's an interesting question. By all rights the IM "should" be harder in a choker. Have you ever tried the GHP8 first in the workout?

I have. In fact, when they were unrated during the first workout I mentioned in my OP (where I failed), I naively went by average rating on your site and tried the GHP 8 first. Had a Super Near Miss, then got 5 reps for 3 sets with the #3.5. Weird indeed.

The other strange thing is that for the most part, regardless of choker width, everything else agrees with your ratings! There is one exception: My 2.5 is near and possibly as or more difficult than my 3 in 10 mm chokes.

Edited by avasatu

More speed and momentum initially with the 3.5?

I do all my sets the same as far as set, bracing, and power is concerned. If anything, the GHP would have benefitted more from this because the knurling is so much better.

I'm suggesting less lbs at the start of a choked close might make the finish easier.