Under The Radar - Grip Profile - Karl M. Skjelvik

anwnate

Feedback has requested a little training info, so I have added a question to this and future profiles.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to meet Karl Skjelvik at the Holdfast Gauntlet (The Grip Authority) Competition. I say lucky, not just because he's a cool gripster (which he is), but because we seldom get non-USA competitors at our contests. That pretty much made him a little bit of a celebrity in Wyalusing, PA that weekend. I found him a very approachable (and strong) gripster. Let's find out a little bit more about this man from Norway.

Karl pic.png

Six questions to get to know Karl.

1. What are your stats? Age, height (inches/meters), weight (lbs/kgs), dominant hand size (cm/in), country, city (or region…whatever you are comfortable with), married/single, kids, occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Height :1.80 mtr (5' 11")

Weight : 90.7 kg (200lbs)

Dominant Hand size : Right hand, 19 cm (7.5")

Country/City: Norway, Rogaland (region),
Marital Status : Married, one child

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started training grip in 2008 after having read Brooks Kubik's book Dinosaur Training. After a while I started searching the internet for more info on grip, and I found The Diesel Crew, and then I signed up for Jedd Johnson's coaching site, The Grip Authority, and I was hooked. Most of what I know about grip, I have learned from Jedd Johnson

3. Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

My ultimate grip goals are to reverse bend a red nail and to do rows with an Inch dumbbell.

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

Monday, I do DOH deadlifts and pinching. I also do Fat Bar Dumbell rows. Tuesday, I do push-presses and grippers. Wednesday, I train my wrists with a sledgehammer from all angles, and I do some reverse bending. Thursday, I train one hand barbell deadlifts with and without FatGripz, and then Dips and Fat Bar Curls. Sometimes I also add in FatGripz Trap Bar Deadlifts. On Saturday or on Sunday I only train grip. I start with a low weight and work my way up a ladder with Coin Pinch, Hub Pinch, Little Big Horn, Rolling Thunder, V-bar and Eagle loops.

5. What hobby (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

My hobbies are vintage motorcycles, dogs and outdoors life.

6. Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

The next grip profile I want to see is Lucas Raymond.

Thanks Karl, Lucas will be profiled in two weeks. This series will return next Wednesday with Christopher "Tank" Andrade.

• Like 13

(Number 5 edited to correct a double paste.)

Great to see these gripster profiles! Good work

Admin - is it possible to have these grouped together in their own subforum (similar to The Grip Well) for ease of access?

• Like 4

Karl, keep up the good wok, my man. What is your name here on the board?

• Like 2

Everybody: Hi Karl! That's a pair of solid arms man. They tell the story by themselves already haha

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Jedd, my name here on the board is Karl Skjelvik.

Great name!