Fatgripz Experiences

bubba29

I use them on all the exercises for back day at the gym and leave looking like Popeye. Love them.

I've used them off and on for awhile but have went to a 2" axle just because. We have had the kids use them in the weightroom and they hate them. When they hate them that means they work well.

I used them for presses, curls, triceps, and anything but squats. They are a great tool and really smoke you grip.

OK, I've used these twice so far. First day I did low rep rows. Made it harder but didn't hit the forearms too hard. Yesterday, I did higher rep lat pulldowns and hammergrip DB curls. My forearms were fried and are noticebly (is this a word?) sore today. My concern is that I am not able to use heavy enough weights to tax the actual body part I am trying to train (back or biceps).

I'v been using them for 2 years now and they are worth the investment.

I use them for chinups and curls, but only every second workout.

When you're done with a fatgripz set, take them off and knock some additional reps, gives the best pump ever!

I'v been using them for 2 years now and they are worth the investment.

I use them for chinups and curls, but only every second workout.

When you're done with a fatgripz set, take them off and knock some additional reps, gives the best pump ever!

so you go every other workout. do you go a lot heavier the days without the fatgripz? does it end up being low weight/high rep with fatgripz and high weight/low reps without?

I was using them 2/3x a week- every gym session but legs- but then I started getting some bad aches in my hand. I haven't used them n a few weeks now. I liked using them on machine pulling exercises and arm exercises the most. They were also kind of fun to use for close grip bench. Felt it in my grip more then my forearms though. I felt working the forearms directly with wrist curls helped them the most.

I was using them 2/3x a week- every gym session but legs- but then I started getting some bad aches in my hand. I haven't used them n a few weeks now. I liked using them on machine pulling exercises and arm exercises the most. They were also kind of fun to use for close grip bench. Felt it in my grip more then my forearms though. I felt working the forearms directly with wrist curls helped them the most.

regular bench bothers my shoulders so i have been doing a bunch of close grip. during this exercise, do the fatgripz help with wrist pain or worsen it?

regular bench bothers my shoulders so i have been doing a bunch of close grip. during this exercise, do the fatgripz help with wrist pain or worsen it?

Help for sure, felt it in my forearms pretty decently also since I had to squeeze harder on the bar and it forced me to use better technique. I used higher volume though and had a spotter so the weight wasn't max effort type work. You could use them on machine pushing exercise pretty easily as well though.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

No I alwys use my maximum weight, with or without fatgripz. I just feel that using them everytime results in

slight overtraining for me. My grip feels weaker then. But I sould mention my slow regeneration..

Excited to be getting mine in the mail in a few days.

I'll be deadlifting and benching with them, heard they add a few inches of ROM in bench.

I'll be deadlifting and benching with them, heard they add a few inches of ROM in bench.

wow, you are excited. not sure about a few inches extra ROM but probably an inch for sure.

Excited to be getting mine in the mail...

Wait, have I mentioned this before?

How do you guys find them translating to axle pulls?

• Like 1

Excited to be getting mine in the mail...

Wait, have I mentioned this before?

How do you guys find them translating to axle pulls?

I don't have a axle to compare it too but they are quite challenging. I usually do regular deadlifts with DO grip then switch to mixed girp and finish with rack pulls with the fatgripz if I want to hit the grip a little more + possibly even some strap pulls to overload the upper back for strength purposes.

I searched the forum for fatgripz and saw that adam glass-one of the top grip athletes in the world- could do 460 axle, 405 FG. So the FG are harder it seems.

I got my fatgripz before I joined this site but manus company makes thickbar handle adapters also and they support this site so could look to support them.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Did you get the blue ones or the orange ones?

I've used both. The blue ones mimic the diameter of a normal fat bar. However, I feel they don't distribute the weights into the joints as well as the orange ones.

I use the orange ones on everything. I have a recurring AC sprain and using the fatgripz extremes Allows me to bench and press overhead pain free. 345 was my sticking point due to pain and fear of injury. I'll do that weight all day now, pain free.

DO deadlift is a nightmare with these things. I've pulled 295 with them. Never tried with the blue ones so I'm unsure of my personal weight difference.

When benching with these at first, ensure to use a spotter. I've personally almost dumped 225 onto my face a couple of years back because I wasn't used to the feel.

I used my FatGripz 2 days in a row. First day presses, second day pulls. I am pretty surprised how much my forearms were effected by the presses. My forearms are sore. I am gonna have to dial this back a bit.

Just tried benching with them yesterday.

I've had a puny bench my whole life, and have stalled at a bodyweight/125 bench for the longest time.

I learned how to use correct form from Starting Strength, and tried out the fatgripz for the first time, so not sure which exactly was the cause for my increase. But my bench jumped by 20 lbs yesterday.

My max, which is now 146, even feels a tad easier with the fatgripz because of the ease of control.

Do you guys feel that benching with fatgripz are easier or harder than regular bar?

i think i strained my left forearm last week using these. it is still sore despite not doing grip specific stuff.

Do you know what exercise using fat gripz strained your forearm.

i think i strained my left forearm last week using these. it is still sore despite not doing grip specific stuff.

Do you know what exercise using fat gripz strained your forearm.

it is weird but it may have been because i pressed with them one day and the next i did some rows with them. the rows weren't that heavy. maybe too much 2 days in a row.

...in other news, we should have Manus Grips in the store in about a week :)

DAMN! i woulda preferred those and to order from you. i couldn't find them anywhere in the US several weeks ago.

Just tried benching with them yesterday.

I've had a puny bench my whole life, and have stalled at a bodyweight/125 bench for the longest time.

I learned how to use correct form from Starting Strength, and tried out the fatgripz for the first time, so not sure which exactly was the cause for my increase. But my bench jumped by 20 lbs yesterday.

My max, which is now 146, even feels a tad easier with the fatgripz because of the ease of control.

Do you guys feel that benching with fatgripz are easier or harder than regular bar?

it may have to do with the irradiation effect. supposedly when you squeeze the bar as hard as possible, it activates the muscles of the lower arm and helps to more efficiently activate other muscles involved in the movement. that is the theory at least. could be you were squeezing the handles really hard and this helped you all the way around.

i have only pressed with them a bit and i haven't really formed an opinion yet on how it effects my pressing.

• 11 months later...
do you guys find them translating to axle pulls?
I was using fatgrips before i had access to an axle. After pulling with an axle for some time, I tried with the fatgrips again and failed at a much lower weight than my axle. Would there be a benefit in cycling deadlifts with fatgrips for a period of time with regular axle work? Opinions and experiences welcome.

do you guys find them translating to axle pulls?

I was using fatgrips before i had access to an axle. After pulling with an axle for some time, I tried with the fatgrips again and failed at a much lower weight than my axle. Would there be a benefit in cycling deadlifts with fatgrips for a period of time with regular axle work? Opinions and experiences welcome.

Now that I have more experience under my belt, I'm back from the future to answer my own question.

And because I was originally looking for information about the standard fatgdipz, this answer applies to the standard blue model and to Manus grips, and not the Extreme versions.

Standard Fatgripz are 2.2" and an axle is either 1.88" (historical) or 2.0" (IM standard).

Also the FGs flex a bit, and the feeling is a bit off.

When I used an axle for the first time, I could lift about 20% more weight than woth FGs because of the smaller diameter.

This seems to be the general difference in others too. On FGs, you'll lift between 80-85% of your axle.

All in all, they're a very good alternative given the price and portability.

When cycling FGs into your axle program, is it with the intention of improving your axle?

I could see supplemental work, along the lines of one week a month as a back off from regular diameter being helpful, as would working with FGs after axle sets to git the fingers differe tly at lighter weight.

Just not as much help when you make them the centerpiece of your program too long.

Sorry it got long, but good luck and hope this will give you any information you need.

Yori