World's Most Lucrative Grip Feat

Squeezus

I saw this video the other day:

https://youtu.be/pvyYgrzMc7U

and a few questions popped up in my mind:

1. Can any of us do it?
  2. Is it even humanly possible?
  3. Can we make an implement to simulate the feat?
  4. Can we put the feat in a medley?
Edited by Squeezus

Must know how much it weight and is chalk allowed.

Based on my gold atomgripz vs brass grippers feeling similar. A simulation could be built with a brass gripping surface.

• Like 1

Rough guess if his hands are about the same size as mine (7.5" Long). 4" wide at top 3.5"deep 5 Bottom guessing 7" long. 85 pounds give or take.

For the fun of it i calculated weight based on value. They said it is 0.5 million dollars and comparing that to value of biggest gold bar that is 250kg i got quite reasonable weight of 34kg.

However, that was with fixed price. If changes in gold price between 2005 and 2008 are taken into account we get not so reasonable number of 17kg.

2005 was year that big gold bar was estimated and 2008 was year they filmed show.

• Like 2

Rough guess if his hands are about the same size as mine (7.5" Long). 4" wide at top 3.5"deep 5 Bottom guessing 7" long. 85 pounds give or take.

Eyeballing it and using a trough volume calculator and Wolfram Alpha to get mass and value (I'm laaaaazy), I had the base being 8"x4", the top being 7.3"x3.3" with a 4" height (to maintain a 5 degree draft angle). That gave me a 78lb bar worth USD$1.334M, current value. We need to make something like this and brass plate it.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 2

Interesting but probably not going to be in the Gripmas Medley this year :). If we had actual size measurements it would probably be possible to weld one up out of plate steel and attach it to a loading pin - then if we knew the weight, give it a go.

• Like 1

David Horne has a video on his youtube page where he shows off many of the prototype grip tops. One was a Gold Bar simulator.

• Like 1

David Horne has a video on his youtube page where he shows off many of the prototype grip tops. One was a Gold Bar simulator.

Awesome! That's perfect! Can you link the video? I looked and didn't see it..

True story...... I met through his attorney a gent that was an investor in finding the richest shipwreck of all time. It took 10 years and several lives to find the Atocha sunk in 1622 in about 15 feet of water. It was valued at 500 Million dollars with an "override "of smuggled items not listed on the manifest valued at near a billion.

We arrived at one of his properties and low and behold on the floor holding the washing room door open was a 74 lb solid tapered ingot of silver. The bars generally ranged from 65-85 lbs on the cargo manifest. He noticed me looking at it and smiled while he said "you know what that is"?After reading about the family finding the hoard,seeing them ,holding their treasure in their museum , and saw films on National Geographic telling the story . I said wide eyed with a firm "yes" .

He was a different type of fellow ,wide open to adventure and living large so he immediately said" any man that can lift "that "off the floor with one hand can have it. The lawyer was stunned ,I was jacked up with excitement, and was in quite good lifting and grip shape. I knew the value of the bar even back in the day and being a verified piece of history was a 250,000 item probably sitting there. First try ,even with the taper. It came right up to near deadlift lockout. I put the bar down and said" well ,I guess it's mine" . In a uneasy few moments he sweated bullets but ,in a blustering laugh said "aw you know we were just kidding" ..........I wasn't . We all laughed a bit and I asked "why would something like that be just lying on the floor" a simple reply, " what the hell can you do with it? I guess he had a point.

Well ,that was I guess in its own way the most valuable grip prize won and " lost " in history.

• Like 6

Yes that link Andrew posted is to the video of David's I was thinking of.

The "South African" gold bar grip top is near the end of that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0nl7TRdaw8 I think this is it.

If I can get caught up on some of my other projects, I'm seriously thinking of playing with the welder this weekend.

Awwww yeah, man, you gotta do it!

True story...... I met through his attorney a gent that was an investor in finding the richest shipwreck of all time. It took 10 years and several lives to find the Atocha sunk in 1622 in about 15 feet of water. It was valued at 500 Million dollars with an "override "of smuggled items not listed on the manifest valued at near a billion.

We arrived at one of his properties and low and behold on the floor holding the washing room door open was a 74 lb solid tapered ingot of silver. The bars generally ranged from 65-85 lbs on the cargo manifest. He noticed me looking at it and smiled while he said "you know what that is"?After reading about the family finding the hoard,seeing them ,holding their treasure in their museum , and saw films on National Geographic telling the story . I said wide eyed with a firm "yes" .

He was a different type of fellow ,wide open to adventure and living large so he immediately said" any man that can lift "that "off the floor with one hand can have it. The lawyer was stunned ,I was jacked up with excitement, and was in quite good lifting and grip shape. I knew the value of the bar even back in the day and being a verified piece of history was a 250,000 item probably sitting there. First try ,even with the taper. It came right up to near deadlift lockout. I put the bar down and said" well ,I guess it's mine" . In a uneasy few moments he sweated bullets but ,in a blustering laugh said "aw you know we were just kidding" ..........I wasn't . We all laughed a bit and I asked "why would something like that be just lying on the floor" a simple reply, " what the hell can you do with it? I guess he had a point.

Well ,that was I guess in its own way the most valuable grip prize won and " lost " in history.

Awesome story, Richard! His integrity wasn't as strong as your grip.

Yes that link Andrew posted is to the video of David's I was thinking of.

The "South African" gold bar grip top is near the end of that video.

Good call man, I hadn't even though of making a loadable grip top of the gold bar. I need to watch more David Horne videos.

• Like 2

Lead is a lot lighter than gold. 11.3 g/cm3 for lead gold is 19.3 g/cm3. Hard to belive when you feel the heft of lead.

Eyeballing it and using a trough volume calculator and Wolfram Alpha to get mass and value (I'm laaaaazy), I had the base being 8"x4", the top being 7.3"x3.3" with a 4" height (to maintain a 5 degree draft angle). That gave me a 78lb bar worth USD$1.334M, current value. We need to make something like this and brass plate it.

Interesting how would the texture of the gold bar effect the challenge? Would gold even hold chalk? It looked very smooth in the video so I'd imagine it was very slippery.

Interesting how would the texture of the gold bar effect the challenge? Would gold even hold chalk? It looked very smooth in the video so I'd imagine it was very slippery.

It would definitely be slippery. I doubt the surface would hold chalk either. Since the gold doesn't easily oxidize, there would be no seasoning or surface porosity of any consequence.

And I always thought the most lucrative grip feat was getting free dumbbells from an old YMCA and then turning them into two $400 Blobs...

• Like 4

Very cool. On edge it seems much more doable than from the top.

Lead is a lot lighter than gold. 11.3 g/cm3 for lead gold is 19.3 g/cm3. Hard to belive when you feel the heft of lead.

Wow, that is crazy!

If it was made out of tungsten carbide no one or thing on earth would lift it with one hand lol. My ring is made from it and is far heavier than a gold ring. Much stronger too.

read tungsten is 19,600, plutonium and platinum were the only two heavier at 19,800 and 21 something, respectively.

read tungsten is 19,600, plutonium and platinum were the only two heavier at 19,800 and 21 something, respectively.

I think osmium is the densest at near 22 something.

• Like 1

I didn't see that one on the list I was looking at even? Not sure