From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Richard, I'm thrilled to hear about your recovery rate stepping it up to high gear.

Training does not cause me pain ,but the entire time there was no muscle recruitment. Sore?,yes from a good beating but the muscle fibers were not being contracted. The medial nerve and its connections snakes its way from the thumb and first finger up the back side of the forearm ,tricep ,then enters in at the armpit , through the shoulder blade ,up over the traps and into the base of the neck. You can imagine if that entire area was non responsive. One arm dumbbell rows ( adds a balance to overworked front pressing muscles)which were my strong point now give me most trouble and if the scapula shoulder blade area is not stabilized the entire arm unit flaps unsteady like a loose sail in the wind. If the scapula and tricep can become steady the force of the other muscle levers created can come to bear on grip. I am each morning after dyno testing doing 3 back to back quick sets of 20 with the three lightest Zenith grippers.

A tip for you that was posed by the orthopedic doctor and generally confirmed by my recent rehab training. The first way to set yourself up for unbalance and" other side injury "is to train the good side the same as normal and the hurt side progressively. What I am saying if a limb is injured, train both sides with the same balanced mass and slowly add resistance as injured limb progresses (in proper form ). A common case in the past ( for example)was to rehab weak leg only and the unbalance leads to the same type of injury on the "good" part. Even if dumbbells are used for resistance keep the same form and weight resistance with both the injured and "healthy side".

I have been following this with great interest Richard. You and I are almost in the same boat, and from the sounds of it, we are experiencing the same things and have the rare opportunity to turn ourselves into living science experiments. Not many get the chance to start all over again and really see what the body is capable of. So many slog along for years making little to no progress never realizing what they have. We do, because we have lost it.

When my heart stopped last August my doctor looked me straight in the eyes and told me to chose between living to see my kids grow up to be adults or lifting weights. The choice was an easy one. Then, through the miracles of modern science and the perspective of a new doctor, I was "healed" so to speak. This past April the exact same doctor looked me straight in the eyes and said I have his blessing to resume lifting weights.

To say it was a shock is an understatement. When you hinge your life around something since you were 12 years old to have it swept away is one of the worst, sick in the stomach feelings you can have. It is an even sicker and scarier feeling to have it given back to you. Almost like a re-birth of sorts. I remain cautiously optimistic as I head out on this new journey, as I am sure you do as well.

Good luck to you Richard. The things you learn when you get a second chance are amazing. I wish you nothing but the best-

-Rick

• Like 2

People like Rick have seen the elephant so to speak. In pretty short order you become more of a man as to your true responsibility in life to yourself but all those you hold dear to your heart. I have lived as best I can a strong life but it was not about beating people , you and they know what you can do it is more using every opportunity and moment to the maximum. Use and share your gifts. Rick was a tough ,strong guy to be dealt with when I met him ,but I see in his words he has risen to a level above that. We will ALL be challenged and as my cancer surgeon said 8 years ago" in many ways my job is sad , people get sick and just die, you chose not to ,and as a doctor I feel good to see this".Guys ...don't lie down, leave a good quality mark ,and if you really like something ..share it. Memories and respect is all you will take with you. ......

MRI during a thunderstorm ....priceless! The doctors have completed their tests. The MRI even after two months had a report containing the word "severe" used 5 times in the first paragraph. The electro / needle into nerve study results caused the doctor to have to regroup as to level of damage. But, while I can do anything to improve the "rest of the machine "I will. The damage to spinal cord corridor and disk will have to be addressed as well as the nerve damage sustained.

Enough of that. I did want to give a closer focus to a tip I gave the other day. Deep breathing which flushes the muscles with oxygen , and stretches the rib box muscles to function better has been embraced by the best. Pondering the question of who might be the strongest man ever I have been doing a bit of research. It seems like grip plays a huge part in the final result because all the body power flows through this point. I have seen Zydrunas Zavicas many times and now after seeing his strength rating in the 1212 WSM he was rated highest in power of all athletes. He uses a particular breathing technique before any attempt. Learn from the best! In particular look at his chest and arm position and the all important position of his mouth during exhale. The tunnel he creates with his face muscles creates a Venturi type exit of used air allowing quick emptying and refil. This is huge!

• Like 2

This info on breathing is very interesting to me richard, especially because as of late I've taken a great deal of interest in increasing the power of my lungs and diaphram. I just started using hise shrugs with deep, controlled breathing in sync with the lift.

I hate to hear that and hope you recover fast.

Hope you recover soon Richard!

As "Bob" says in his song "Understanding" it is all about being ready to grow and enlightenment. To look at an impressive grip video or picture is almost like tunnel vision, as we only see the obvious.While we are having a flood of input and emotion about what is before our eyes we need to also consider the who, what, and why. Look all around to see the atmosphere in the training or competition area, the equipment, the things in the backround( or not) is there outside stimulus, different breathing, improvised tools,WHAT is the rest of the body doing when a great feat is done. Are we overwhelmed by the person or number and fail to see if even this person can improve his environment or mechanics? I have looked at some great people doing great things and try to learn" the rest of the story" by careful observation. Look, ...REALLY look!

Off to a second opinion consultation on my options for surgery. My feeling is to be medically prudent but exercise( literally) every positive option I have before a decision is made. The body will heal for the most part by itself if cared for (in some circumstances).

Lifts are being separated from a big day every training day as the tonnage and volume climbs. My first division is moving the squats and grip work to another day. Arm work is stepping up so as in long ago might join in my leg/ grip day as a natural warmup and flow. I have started including pinching again with stacked 10 lb. plates and a pair of not deep dish 45s held in a stand to keep them upright. In that way I can move through sets safely and quickly and as I did yesterday work for both hands pinch to combinations of fingers on each hand. It really worked well. The Pops Gripper is up another 15 lbs and I feel it is a direct link to my added ,

ongoing success in the grippers , Dyno, and overall grip return. In the morning I continue to daily test the Collins Dyno, tear paper( great rehab for overall mobility and dexterity) and run fast light "memory sets "of 20 with the Zenith grippers.

I hit three solid workouts this week . In an instinctive way I try to increase the total load, or intensity. A wave type of workout in lifting and grip seem to be working the best. Fatigue and muscle soreness( great to feel again) set in yesterday but instead of just loosing the opportunity I adjusted and coaxed myself through the workout. With the "must do this" stress off everything flowed well. I have had to step up the Arm Aid work in more in a light way as my grip volume increases. Rehab, stretching, mind focus ,and daily goals seem to be moving me along. As I work the supportive muscles in concert with my main movers it supplies a more solid platform to blast off from and overall ability to recruit general strength increases. As for grip ...I have to keep reminding myself to coax the muscles along not kill them. If by lasting and being productive for a long time gives you the opportunity to be part of grip for decades not 2-4 years and gone , I think this mind set is worth exploring.

Glad to see your improvement Richard and thanks for all the great gems of knowledge you are sharing in your writings.

I was up early the last two mornings walking a couple of miles and practicing my deep(er) breathing. In agreement with a long time Iron mauler"The Breeze" "you need to do something physical each day. In his years of competing, wrestling ,and being a student of strength I heed his suggestions.

On this fine morning as I walked I reflected on the quiet man of great inner strength... my dad. I wish I could thank him face to face for the strong example, loving support and interest he paid to me his son. I think he always knew I would find my road and keep to it. I was shallow enough to think it was all me and what I did was all that mattered. That my friends was a folly of youth and pride. The part we play is small but a huge part of the positive or negative force of he world. Say it, do it , don't wate it, and help others. Here is a salute to all dads out there that have helped us to have our lives and reach our dreams. R.Sorin

• Like 1

Here is a salute to all dads out there that have helped us to have our lives and reach our dreams. R.Sorin

My Dad died 10 years ago. Thanks for reminding me. Happy Father's Day!

A huge day ahead! What started as big birthday get together has over 6 years become quite an event. We are having Summerstrong 6 this coming Saturday June 22 which will be a greatly expanded day of education , fellowship,and strength challenges of all kinds. We are having a huge open house / multi activity day at a new complex we outfitted in a nearby location to fit the size of the crowd. World class speakers and demonstrators are coming from all parts of the country. Educational credits of .9 are available. Lunch big time and after party ( and probably a grip spectacle) back at original gym training site at 7pm. All grip tools will be used , on display and for your personal examination. I am honored to see how this tiny seed has grown into something good for all. Particulars on the Sorinex.com site. Grip men and other fans of strength are cordially invited to observe and participate.Funds will be collected for Wounded Warriors. My horses are ready to run with great memories ahead. This will help keep the interest and fire in what started over a half century ago.

I have found that switching from the conventional grip in the Pops gripper and maintaining a almost straight fingers claw grip has brought balance ,straightened my wrist out and best of all developed the thumb pad actively so my fingers can draw back like rope not curl around the front gripper handle. Seated position seems ideal from a comfort and a good mechanical non cheating position. The strength and reps climbed up today again after my planned weekend hand rest goes in accord with my Monday heavy (?) grip day. My left hand has stepped up as well with the more movement specific training. I do the same resistance and form with both hands not just right hand domination as in earlier years.This is the first day I can maintain proper wrist (without downward canting) position. Heading to speak with surgeon tomorrow on his final thoughts.

During my training last night both Ms.D and Adriane Wilson were present. D is planning for a big surge...I can feel it ...and Adriane in between sets casually with more ease than I have seen before just closed the 2 several singles with a smile. I feel it is such a wonderful thing to see the gals Amy, Liz , D ,and Adrian just gearing up for the next level. The "want to "is being focused and I am interested and proud to see the work being done by all these ladies. Besides, it is hard to not push a bit more in such a positive atmosphere.

Prayers are with you. Ronni from Maine.

Richard, I dreamt about you farmer's walking Blobs the other night brother. Keep plugging away!

A good moment when the final say to move forward looked at all the tests and said no life threatening situation involved at the moment and the improvement was the key. No surgery is required to "fix" me.What was broken or damaged has the ability to restore and repair and.... I can do that.

The training log and progressive testing and training gave the surgeon as much feedback as to making a decision as the MRI or electromyograph study.

Working in balance and keeping form while nerve beds restore will be a major concern to keep doing everything possible right. I have found out much about what I took for granted when healthy and now perhaps can move on with more open eyes . Grip is one wonderful part of entire package of being a strong person, addressing these issues and finding focus, goals and inspiration from wherever it comes will be the move ahead plans.

I hit three solid workouts this week . In an instinctive way I try to increase the total load, or intensity. A wave type of workout in lifting and grip seem to be working the best. Fatigue and muscle soreness( great to feel again) set in yesterday but instead of just loosing the opportunity I adjusted and coaxed myself through the workout. With the "must do this" stress off everything flowed well. I have had to step up the Arm Aid work in more in a light way as my grip volume increases. Rehab, stretching, mind focus ,and daily goals seem to be moving me along. As I work the supportive muscles in concert with my main movers it supplies a more solid platform to blast off from and overall ability to recruit general strength increases. As for grip ...I have to keep reminding myself to coax the muscles along not kill them. If by lasting and being productive for a long time gives you the opportunity to be part of grip for decades not 2-4 years and gone , I think this mind set is worth exploring.

We are in too much of a hurry anymore and people want results NOW. This is something we have to learn with age. If we are lucky, we will all live long lives, so the idea here should be strength and health over time, not get strong for 2 years and suffer a serious injury that leaves you unable to ever train again. It is the ME-generation. We want to get it done now and get it posted on YouTube for the admiration of our peers. The older guys still doing it had it right back then and still have it right today. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say, and neither is strength. I find myself some what lucky to be in this position. We can see things others cannot. Pride gets in the way.

Good stuff on the stretching. Interesting enough, I have found when I am deep into my DDP yoga stuff my grip is super strong. Much stronger then it is when I am slinging weights. I can routinely close my #3 with no warm-up when I am doing my yoga 5 days a week. Once I stop, my grip goes to crap! Also the breathing, super important, and it stifles panic attacks as well.

I was up early the last two mornings walking a couple of miles and practicing my deep(er) breathing. In agreement with a long time Iron mauler"The Breeze" "you need to do something physical each day. In his years of competing, wrestling ,and being a student of strength I heed his suggestions.

On this fine morning as I walked I reflected on the quiet man of great inner strength... my dad. I wish I could thank him face to face for the strong example, loving support and interest he paid to me his son. I think he always knew I would find my road and keep to it. I was shallow enough to think it was all me and what I did was all that mattered. That my friends was a folly of youth and pride. The part we play is small but a huge part of the positive or negative force of he world. Say it, do it , don't wate it, and help others. Here is a salute to all dads out there that have helped us to have our lives and reach our dreams. R.Sorin

My dad turns 79 this year. The time flies by. I remember when my wife was pregnant with my twin-sons. She had just been pregnant and we lost it so I was super scared. At any rate, she had some issues with the twins and I remember thinking, just let these babies be healthy. I will give up anything in the world, I will trade my own life, just let them be healthy. 3 years later they are crazy twin boys full of life. I consider fatherhood the greatest achievement of my 35 years on this planet!

Our Children are the only true and sincerely important legacy we can leave behind! I ran for years burning both ends of the candle with a flame thrower but I rarely truly enjoyed anything, was never proud enough or at least satisfied with my own achievements because I was too busy looking for my next thing to knock out, and crazily thought I was damn near indestructible and most of all there would always be time...The older I get the more God shows me his true reality and the most important things in life are not really things at all.

• Like 1