Barbell Advice

CANCRUSHER

Ok guys recently i bent my second olimpic bar and although i am about to get a refund this situation really piss me off so i decided to buy a good bar and i need some good advice .

I am considering these models from rogue europe:

Westside power barhttp://www.rogueeurope.eu/westside-power-bar.php

The rogue barhttp://www.rogueeurope.eu/the-rogue-bar.php

and this from ironmind:

York powerlifting barhttp://www.ironmind-store.com/York-Powerlifting-Bar-32004/productinfo/1219%2DPL/(the cost of this bar in euros would be 380)

Keep in mind that the shipping cost from rogue is about 30 euro,while seems that the shipping from IM is free.

Any advice will be very helpful.

You might also give Sorinex a call. If you are board member maybe they can work something out so shipping would not be cost prohibitive?

If not, I would go IronMind. The support what we do here and their stuff is bomb proof. :)

Out of interest how did you bend the bar? Was it through normal use or.....

I think was pretty normal,i was doing some rack pulls for reps with 280 kg and after the set i noticed that the bar was bent.

You might also give Sorinex a call. If you are board member maybe they can work something out so shipping would not be cost prohibitive?

If not, I would go IronMind. The support what we do here and their stuff is bomb proof. :)

Ill check out the sorinex also;talking about IM i know their products are good i was only concerned about the quality of the bar that is from york.

Edited by CANCRUSHER

Rack pulls are famous for bending bars, even a very short "drop" onto the pins will bend nearly any bar - even the very best - and heavy partials will bend some cheap bars even without a drop - most companies won't warranty a bar against rack pulls. I was talking to the Eleiko rep here for the US at the Arnold and he said even leaving a very heavy weight "sitting" on the squat stands (or pins) can leave a permanent bend in a bar. I have a cheaper bar (that is bent) that I keep just for those lifts done in the rack. I would recommend buying a thick "rack" bar and just expect that it will end up bent. Cheap bars are just that of course and can bend in regular use by strong people. But even the great bars will bend if used outside their design. And the best of bars are made for different styles of lifting. I have yet to find a single bar that does it all without some degree of compromise. That said the bars you have listed are all nice bars and it would be hard to go wrong with them. When considering shipping etc - are there any European companies closer with high quality bars that might save you money?

Rack pulls are famous for bending bars, even a very short "drop" onto the pins will bend nearly any bar - even the very best - and heavy partials will bend some cheap bars even without a drop - most companies won't warranty a bar against rack pulls. I was talking to the Eleiko rep here for the US at the Arnold and he said even leaving a very heavy weight "sitting" on the squat stands (or pins) can leave a permanent bend in a bar. I have a cheaper bar (that is bent) that I keep just for those lifts done in the rack. I would recommend buying a thick "rack" bar and just expect that it will end up bent. Cheap bars are just that of course and can bend in regular use by strong people. But even the great bars will bend if used outside their design. And the best of bars are made for different styles of lifting. I have yet to find a single bar that does it all without some degree of compromise. That said the bars you have listed are all nice bars and it would be hard to go wrong with them. When considering shipping etc - are there any European companies closer with high quality bars that might save you money?

As the matter of fact i didnt drop the bar but what you said makes sense,after all i am a noob not only in the grip world but in strength sports in general.

Talking about european companies the answer is no;for me is cheaper buying a bar from rogue usa and paying all the shipping that buying one from rogue europe.

You don't have to "drop" the bar - it's that the contact points are so very small - it doesn't take much. I think it was Ivanko that used to have a write up about this on their site - but it may have been some other company.

Edited by climber511

Check out the ironmind S-cubed bar, it's 1-3/8'' thick and weighs 52lbs, I think bending this would be a challenge.

Check out the ironmind S-cubed bar, it's 1-3/8'' thick and weighs 52lbs, I think bending this would be a challenge.

I know about that bar but its just too long and tick for my needs;plus at 580 bucks seems too expensive.

Instead of doing pulls in the rack - use boxes and set the plates on them -much better on the bar.

• Like 2

Instead of doing pulls in the rack - use boxes and set the plates on them -much better on the bar.

This is absolutely the way to go if you want to preserve your bar.

Sorry, but shipping from IronMind is not free and if you're in Europe, I would definitely look into buying your bar locally—most of the best weightlifting and powerlifting bars are made in Europe, but if you're not in the market for a top tier bar, something like an original Texas power bar might do the trick for you.

Yep, I'll back these points up, hence asking how you bent two bars in the first place. No point in spending money on a new bar just to bend it again by using it in the same fashion as before.

Yep, I'll back these points up, hence asking how you bent two bars in the first place. No point in spending money on a new bar just to bend it again by using it in the same fashion as before.

That's an excellent point - just keep the bent bar(s) for rack pulls. Rack pulls usually aren't contested, so it should make no difference if the bar is bent. Use the bent one for rack pulls, and the replacement one you are pursuing for all other work.

I have a bent bar that I bought used in a package deal that I use for rack pulls, chambered work, etc. and I have a really stiff, high quality bar for all other work (deadlifts off the floor, etc.).

Sorry, but shipping from IronMind is not free and if you're in Europe, I would definitely look into buying your bar locally—most of the best weightlifting and powerlifting bars are made in Europe, but if you're not in the market for a top tier bar, something like an original Texas power bar might do the trick for you.

Yes now i know that and i emailed for a quote and again in europe prices are CRAZY ,for me was cheaper buying all my coc from IM that buying them from companies in europe.

Guest Squat More

Go for the rogue power bar, and stop doing rack pulls. Pull from blocks or the ground, full deads are the fathers of the shameful rack pull. If you're new to strength sports (and barbell lifting) you don't need to be doing rack pulls unless it's just you wanting to feed your ego. Not trying to be a dickhead here either, just being honest - ask anyone who is an elite lifter (I am not) and they will tell you the same thing.

Go for the rogue power bar, and stop doing rack pulls. Pull from blocks or the ground, full deads are the fathers of the shameful rack pull. If you're new to strength sports (and barbell lifting) you don't need to be doing rack pulls unless it's just you wanting to feed your ego. Not trying to be a dickhead here either, just being honest - ask anyone who is an elite lifter (I am not) and they will tell you the same thing.

Ill probably go with the rogue bar,by the way i was doing rack pulls at knee level only because my legs were too sore from a previous squat workout.