Redo: One Arm Dumbbell Military Press

hellswindstaff

The last thread was locked. So the question remains who can put up 100lbs++ in this fashion? Let's leave the bantering on the last thread, if someone makes a claim that you don't believe, then please don't let the conversation delude into an argument b/c my curiosity will still remain unquenched.

Pretty sure someone will be able to do it on here, I have weak shoulders due to snowboarding injuries and can do 60lbs for 6 reps with strict form. Still working towards a HeSPU with good form.

Also, when you say 'strict' do you mean torso upright, which is what I use for carryover to HS work, or is it acceptable to lean to the side like this very strong guy:

Edited by patrickmeniru

If I remember Correctly, Rich Williams pressed Two inch Dumbbells at the same time, in strict fashion! They hung the DB's from cables so he didn't have to lift them into the rack possition or anything. I seem to recall Richard Sorin saying that in the warmup Rich did something like 150 for reps (regular, thin handled DB's). That man has got some STRONG shoulders. There is video of this feat so no locking threads please :P

That guy there is a BEAST!

Anyone know his name?

Thanks for posting the vid Patrick!

Pretty sure someone will be able to do it on here, I have weak shoulders due to snowboarding injuries and can do 60lbs for 6 reps with strict form. Still working towards a HeSPU with good form.

Also, when you say 'strict' do you mean torso upright, which is what I use for carryover to HS work, or is it acceptable to lean to the side like this very strong guy:

I think that he leaned because the dumbbell was that was a rather large dumbbell... his head would have been smashed had his torso been upright. I've actually seen some of that guys other videos, 400lbs seated military press... that's insane.

Yeah I say strict I mean without excessive lean, and no leg drive... military press not side press nor utilizing any leg drive.

I need to test myself again, to see how much I can do these days.

Here is an old video, in response to Andrew Durniat, who was curious about how well KB pressing carried over to DB pressing for me. While I was not doing a side press, or leg drive, there was definitely some 'body english'. So I'm not sure if this meets the definition of strict. In the past 6 months, I have added these to my regimen, so I would hope my form looks better these days.

Here was my KB press from last year. I was bummed to find out it was 103# when I put it on the scale. Anyway, I press this for ladders these days.

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 2

Here is an old video, in response to Andrew Durniat, who was curious about how well KB pressing carried over to DB pressing for me. While I was not doing a side press, or leg drive, there was definitely some 'body english'. So I'm not sure if this meets the definition of strict. In the past 6 months, I have added these to my regimen, so I would hope my form looks better these days.

Here was my KB press from last year. I was bummed to find out it was 103# when I put it on the scale. Anyway, I press this for ladders these days.

Great pressing! The KB presses in particular looked really easy, impressive stuff.

Both those looked legit in my book

Great pressing! The KB presses in particular looked really easy, impressive stuff.

Definitely legit. Good pressing man!

Thanks guys!

Over the past few months, I think that mixing db and kb pressing has really stabilized the performance of both movements. Once I get my swiss bar in, I'm going to be pressing with that too, and that should help with pressing things more toward the front of my body.

My goal is to strict press my 123# kb someday, but that will probably be a ways off. I think a few of the other veterans on this board can probably strict press in that range.

Thanks guys!

Over the past few months, I think that mixing db and kb pressing has really stabilized the performance of both movements. Once I get my swiss bar in, I'm going to be pressing with that too, and that should help with pressing things more toward the front of my body.

My goal is to strict press my 123# kb someday, but that will probably be a ways off. I think a few of the other veterans on this board can probably strict press in that range.

You said that you press it in ladders now? Is that how you trained to press those weights? I've found that the combined high volume and frequency of pressing ladders daily has really helped my press. High intensity, low frequency... not so much.

I've been doing the ROP plan for kb pressing - light on Mon, med on Wed, and then high volume on Fri or Sat. So for example, if I was working on a 5x(1,2,3) ladder, it would be 5x1 on mon, 5x(1,2) on Wed, and then 5x(1,2,3) on Fr or Sat.

With the 103# kb, my recent block period maxed out at 4 x (1,2,3). With my 90# in plates (not sure what it is on the scale) db setup, I think I did 5x(1,2,3).

I'm sure there's a lot of ways to achieve a strong one armed press, I just like this cuz it's simple, and fairly consistent in progress. I would say it's not the fastest way to a heavy press. Kenneth Jay had his book with a method he claims is much more effective. In many ways, Kenneth's method is similar to the Westside Barbell philosophy. The reason I have not tried that one, is because it requires a lot of work to figure out the programming and his volume day would probably smoke my shoulders, and I would be less effective in bench and other things I'm doing during that part of the week. Various people have also written blogs about how they achieved a strong one arm press with their own programming.

I will say that a big gap in the ROP method is the avoidance of assistance exercises. For me, turkish getups helped a bit, but much more was needed - specifically, rotator cuff dumbbell movements, kb/db rows, horizontal pull-ups (with feet on something). Could be just cuz I'm older, and don't hit those planes of movement in my daily activities.

Martin, you are a BEAST! Only an easy pull up and pistol away from being a "tamer", too.

STRONG Pressing right there!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks gents! I appreciate the kudos! This thread got me interested in testing my PR today (since it's been over a year since those were shot). More vids tonight...

somebody call a doctor, because this guy is SICK!

Ha, ha! Thanks man! One of these years, I will get that 123# kb overhead.

somebody call a doctor, because this guy is SICK!

Ha, ha! Thanks man! One of these years, I will get that 123# kb overhead.

I read an article by mark reidnisjfioanfoieafoie, however you spell it, earlier today after you mentioned the ROP. The three weak links that he has seen has been shoulder, tricep, and back; he said without fail bringing up the weak link brings up the press. It seems like your sticking point is when the dumbbell reaches the the eyes-to-forehead area... I think that Pavel wrote about overcoming this in "Beyond Bodybuilding" saying "the point where the shoulders have checked out but the triceps haven't kicked in". I dont remember where it was in the book, but it may be worth looking into.

I agree - bringing up the weak links bring up just about any movement. Louis Simmons makes the same point. Although he also mentions that bar speed is also important. If the bar is moving fast enough, then there won't be a sticking point. Kenneth has a number of exercises targeted to address each of the various sticking points.

All that said, I'm not interested in rapidly increasing my pressing strength, only because it takes time for the joints and connective tissues to get used to the loads. At least that's what I have experienced. There have been times when I have blasted forward, and the muscles were able to handle it, but the shoulder joint was not happy about it.

I can do 100+ both arms. I'm not sure what my max is exactly. The biggest I have ever done strict is 100 but it was not a max. I have also done a 100 kettle bell strict for reps no problem. I don't consider any of this even close to world class or anything but if anyone was interested in a video I'll bring my camera to the gym shoulder day this week and upload whatever I get.

Adam Glass is a board member who came to mind right away when I read this topic. I'm sure you've probably already seen his one arm pressing vids.

can anyone here one hand press a 100lb barbell? The leverage would make this lifter harder I would think and would require some strong wrists.

I know these are easy for a pro strongman but pressing a 100lb dumbbell is seriously strong, big lifts in here.

Somebody should experiment, but it's known that bent pressing a barbell is easier than bent pressing a dumbbell.

Does this remain true for strict pressing? I don't know.