Left-turn Grippers - Ironmind

jchapman

Since I'm ambidextrous/mixed-handed I'm looking forward to seeing how these feel.

Also I wonder when that page was last updated.

They will show you to be a little stronger on the left than with RH wound gripper. Mostly due spring bind on close. When closing a RH wound gripper in the LH the bind is more pronounced from my experience. You are not closing the gripper exactly with the direction of the torsion spring wind, it is somewhat diagonally across it. In the LH this diagonal angle is greater.

Does it really matter when it was last updated. Its been up for years though I can tell you that.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Since I'm ambidextrous/mixed-handed I'm looking forward to seeing how these feel.

They will show you to be a little stronger on the left than with RH wound gripper. Mostly due spring bind on close. When closing a RH wound gripper in the LH the bind is more pronounced from my experience. You are not closing the gripper exactly with the direction of the torsion spring wind, it is somewhat diagonally across it. In the LH this diagonal angle is greater.

Does it really matter when it was last updated. Its been up for years though I can tell you that.

- Aaron

Thanks for the information. I'm most defiantly stronger with my left arm on just about everything except grippers. Is anyone currently making left wound grippers?

I guess it doesn't really matter, I guess I was thinking it could be an outdated page on the site. I guess that's not really an excuse.

- Aaron

Thanks for the information. I'm most defiantly stronger with my left arm on just about everything except grippers. Is anyone currently making left wound grippers?

I guess it doesn't really matter, I guess I was thinking it could be an outdated page on the site. I guess that's not really an excuse.

same here.. grippers on left arm always felt odd for me.. still do reps on it though.. as far as i know only Baraban used to do some back then (gripper superstore was selling them)... other than that you have the adjustable Baraban that has a neutral stance...

I just learned about these here, today. IronMind doesn't do any kind of dealer forewarning or press or notification. I'll look into them, but with only 4 strengths my guess is that we'll stock a short supply and see if they catch on. Zenith sales have been very slow.

I also really like the black handles.

Good news! I welcome this IM move.

What I find most people don't realize is rotational force fingers have on a gripper handle when closing a gripper.

Different spring wind direction alone does not affect how hard (rating) the gripper is.

How hard (difficult) the gripper is to close depends on hand and spring wind direction together.

If this isn't clear here's what you can try:

Take a sheet of paper and roll it into a tube.

Put it through the coil of a gripper.

Now, close the gripper right-handed and left-handed and observe which direction the coil turns and how much (paper tube will help you get the idea).

What you can also do is draw straight lines on bottom of gripper handles with a marker.

Then observe placing of these lines when the gripper is closed with different hands.

When this is clear it's time to ponder if spring wind direction matters when closing grippers right-handed or left-handed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I just learned about these here, today. IronMind doesn't do any kind of dealer forewarning or press or notification. I'll look into them, but with only 4 strengths my guess is that we'll stock a short supply and see if they catch on. Zenith sales have been very slow.

That's because the Zenith sucks. But these left turn grippers sound intriguing. I also have a hunch that the lefty 3's will come in lighter than regular 3's, and if that ends up happening, well, you know lol.

• Like 1

I was thinking about it more and unless you are into collecting the grippers I am leaning towards these grippers being more of a novelty than anything else. While it "may" feel different, IMHO it doesn't matter since over 90% grippers are made the other way which gets me thinking to myself: why bother? For instance, lets say I finally get my hand strength to the point I can put my name with the MM list. Those aren't made in this manner so why use them (lefty turn)? I think it's another product that IM is trying to develop to keep grip fanatics interested and coming to make purchases.

I am in the group where I found I don't like to have too much of something if I don't need it. I just recently ordered 3 different kinds of grippers for different levels as I progress but as I long leave a level I also donate that gripper to a fellow that could use it. Also, I use grippers for 2 things:

1. Testing my progress

2. Something to do while driving or sitting at the office

Short of that my grip training really isn't dependent on grippers at all. They are a tool that I use to see how the grip training goes. Then again I left dedicated grip training a long time ago because and this isn't to offend anyone on here but I personally found it extremely boring. Instead I found it a lot more fun to use my favorite/consistent exercises that I do today and using tools/ideas to develop my grip strength while it also develops the other parts of my body that the exercises that I execute.

Just my thoughts. I am sure many wouldn't agree but maybe some do. Who knows.

Get a bucket of black paint and dip the gripper handles in it while a string/wire is attached to the string.

Steve Vai did this when they colored his guitar but in his case they mixed colors and that is how he gets those mixed color effects.

I don't think painted handles would be very nice at all, same goes with any painted tool handles it just is going to come off in the hand.

I'm pretty sure IM is just having this anodized.

I was thinking about it more and unless you are into collecting the grippers I am leaning towards these grippers being more of a novelty than anything else. While it "may" feel different, IMHO it doesn't matter since over 90% grippers are made the other way which gets me thinking to myself: why bother? For instance, lets say I finally get my hand strength to the point I can put my name with the MM list. Those aren't made in this manner so why use them (lefty turn)? I think it's another product that IM is trying to develop to keep grip fanatics interested and coming to make purchases.

I am in the group where I found I don't like to have too much of something if I don't need it. I just recently ordered 3 different kinds of grippers for different levels as I progress but as I long leave a level I also donate that gripper to a fellow that could use it. Also, I use grippers for 2 things:

1. Testing my progress

2. Something to do while driving or sitting at the office

Short of that my grip training really isn't dependent on grippers at all. They are a tool that I use to see how the grip training goes. Then again I left dedicated grip training a long time ago because and this isn't to offend anyone on here but I personally found it extremely boring. Instead I found it a lot more fun to use my favorite/consistent exercises that I do today and using tools/ideas to develop my grip strength while it also develops the other parts of my body that the exercises that I execute.

Just my thoughts. I am sure many wouldn't agree but maybe some do. Who knows.

Different folks, different strokes. For me, I've been weight training for the better part of a decade and i found THAT to be boring. Go into the gym...squats, bench, pull ups, maybe some snatches or cleans for the daring but overall very monotonous flow. In grip, there are so many toys to play with and aspects to train that you can literally not do the same thing again for months if you didnt want to. So for me, grip really made me enthusiastic about training again. But I respect where you're coming from!

As for the grippers, they're only going to cost like 20 dollars a pop, I don't see the purchase of one or two preventing me from taking that vacation I've always wanted. If Cannon stocks them, I'll buy a few if for nothing else but to support a friend's business.

• Like 3

I have some RB's with black anodised handles (and chromed springs, though one or two have flakes a little) the black handles look great.

In the UK CoC are about £22-24 (~$35) and I've only seen zeniths at £30 (~$45) I'm guessing if the Left turn CoC get here they will be the same price as Zeniths. It may be cheaper to order through Canon (and hopefully I'll get the option to have them rated!).

just ordered one.. couldnt help myself. :rolleyes

im curious to see if it adds a slight challenge to CCS'ing it in the right hand actually..

Please let us know.

just ordered one.. couldnt help myself. :rolleyes

im curious to see if it adds a slight challenge to CCS'ing it in the right hand actually..

Please let us know.
About what? I thought you werent interested in these...

Still would like to hear your input. geez. You would think I was asking you to donate a limb. :grin:

Been thinking about this for a while, but always struggled with how to explain it, hopefully this makes sense.

Yes, the winding of the spring matters, and the key is the handle of the gripper that sits in your palm.

Observation #1: The more stable the handle in your palm, the more closing force you can generate, the easier it is to close the gripper.

This should be self-evident to most, but if you're unsure, take a gripper that is near the limit of your ability (or slightly beyond) and try to close it. Now try to close it but use the opposite hand's thumb to brace the bottom end of the palm side handle into your hypothenar eminence (the pinky side pad of muscle in your hand -- everyone seems to talk about the thumb pad, but if you're setting the gripper properly for the maximal closing force, the palm side handle should actually be digging into your hypothenar, not thenar [thumb], eminence [HTE]). You should be able to feel and see the difference.

Observation #2: The current most commonly wound type of spring results in the palm handle sitting slightly deeper when held in the right hand, slightly shallower in the left.

This is the part that's hard to explain: hold the gripper so that the spring is up, and the handles are overlapping in your line of sight. Hold the handle that is farther away from you straight up-and-down. Look at the handle that is closer to you: it sits slightly askew, so that if you go from the top of the handle to the bottom, it is pointing a little to the right. This means that when you are using the gripper in your right hand, there is a tendency for the palm side handle to dig a little deeper into your HTE. If you're using the gripper in your left hand, the tendency is to point away from your HTE.

tl;dr

When Cannon starts carrying these, I'll be placing an order for them, too :)

This is a brilliant idea. I have a gripper that favors the left hand as it "feels" like it twists into the palm. This small nuance may be that little extra something that puts you over the hurdle so to speak.

Cannon do you have an ETA by chance as to when you might have these on the site?

We're probably 2 weeks out.

One thing I did talk to Randall about is that you cannot certify on the LT3 (Left-turn #3) as an alternative to the standard. Their product copy says the Left-turn grippers are "CoC compatible" which basically only means "a useful training tool in conjunction with existing grippers".

• Like 3

SPOILER ALERT :grin:

We're going to have these up in the store for an exciting pre-sale to go along with some sweet Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

• Like 3