Under The Radar - Grip Profile - Geralt Hulshof

anwnate

On Wednesday's I'm going to be posting a Grip Profile. Although the subjects can choose any gripster (from anywhere) to follow, in general the aim is to highlight those who are not all that well known. There will eventually be two lines started...this one, and one that starts with a U.S. citizen. In about six months, it will reduce to an every-other-week feature.

geralt pic.jpg

Five questions to get to know Geralt.

1. What are your stats? Age, height (inches/meters), weight (lbs/kgs), dominant hand size (cm/in), country, city (or region…whatever you are comfortable with), married/single, kids, occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Height :1.94 mtr (6'4")

Weight : 104 kg (229lbs)

Dominant Hand size :(guesstimate 7.75"- 8")

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

In 2008, I bought my first COC gripper when I had an arm injury because of overtraining on pullups. Somehow I found some stuff on the internet about grippers and bought the COC #1 (which I could close immediately from no set).
Shortly after I bought an IM#2 which I also could close, but barely. I did no other grip training and overall training then. I bought the IM#3 shortly after from a Dutch sports store and of course I was stopped in my tracks. From there I simply trained too much.
Eventually I closed the #3 first time in 2010 after a long period of rest. From 2010 till now I have been exploring grippers mostly but I have also done other gripstuff. In general I have been overtraining for a long time. I am now at the point of working towards the #3 certification.

I think grippers are actually my lesser implements, and that thick bar comes more natural for me. However I have been struggling so much with this #3 certification that I want this out of my way first. During this time I also started general weight training. During 2011/2012 I also had a long and nasty radial tunnel syndrome injury, which really pushed me back with training. I now focus on heavy partials with grippers, creditcardset speedwork and short overall strength training, trying not to damage my recovery for grippers too much.

3. Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

I don’t have a true ‘before I die’ goal but the #3 cert will feel as a huge accomplishment for me, since I know it is still a good feat of handstrength. After that probably the CTD challenge will be next, which should be relatively better to do for me. After that perhaps the Red nail?

4. What hobby (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I love spending time with my family. I am also always busy around the house and with the time I have left besides work I just relax with some videogames or watching movies.
I want to keep strength training as a part of my life and after I have completed my goal list. I will then focus more on quality of movement and keeping my body healthy and in good form (possibly also combining training with more endurance training). When I get to grow really old (which I hope I will), I don’t exclude growing Bonsai trees as a hobby, these things have always fascinated me.

5. Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Next up I would like to ask Eirik Bruun Ingebretsent.

Thanks Geralt. This series will return next Wednesday with Eirik.

• Like 17

After that perhaps the Red nail?

:devil:rock

Great write-up. Can't wait to see you cert the 3 brother.

• Like 2

Hey Nate, this is a very nice profile man. I was honored by your request. I think it is cool to see more guys this way. There are a lot of guys really putting in time and effort in training and all we see is a username. Mostly we get the see the topguys only, but there are more people doing their stuff and working and training seriously, without the big PR's we are getting used to see every week, no discredit of course to those achievements.

• Like 3

Cool write up. I still remember that Geralt was the first person to reach out to me on the board and welcome me. That was back in 2011. Man time flies when you are having fun.

• Like 3

Very cool idea Nate!

• Like 2

Excellent write up on Geralt. Best wishes for success on your #3 certification!

• Like 2

Cool write up. I still remember that Geralt was the first person to reach out to me on the board and welcome me. That was back in 2011. Man time flies when you are having fun.

Oh yeah man...I still see you coming in...just a child...insecure...hi sir...I am Cesare...I said 'son....you are destined to do great things'. And look at you know. Lol

• Like 1

Nate, this is an awesome idea you are doing. Keep up the killer work.

Great write up too.

• Like 2

I love this idea - there are so many super strong people out there that I have barely any knowledge of. Geralt - just keep on keeping on and you'll reach all your goals!!!

• Like 2

Nice idea!

And man, what a nice baby inch you've got there!

Yeah, you should definitely try it someday! Lol