90lbs.  --  Good
97lbs.  --  Good
101lbs.  --  Good
105lbs.  --  Miss

Medley -- 9 Total

Steel Bending
19/64 x 7" (400lbs.)  --  Good
8mm x 7" (452lbs.)  --  Good

I'm going to do a write-up of the OVERALL experience ... including my travels and hotel stay.  :ohmy

I drove from the Pittsburgh-area, on the PA Turnpike.  The normal trip would take about 6 hours, but I was having some GI/stomach issues, which had me stopping at almost every stop along the turnpike.  This turned the trip into about 8-9 hours.  I didn't have much of an appetite, but gave-in at one of the stops.  I walked up to Starbucks and grabbed one of their spicy chicken sandwiches.  It looked awesome!  I was starting to get hungry and found a nice spot outside, at the tables.  I took my much-anticipated first-bite, and then ... (blah) ... the chicken was partially frozen.  I was so hungry, I ended up eating most of it, which I knew I was going to pay for later.  I thought about taking it back up and getting another, but really didn't feel like talking with the person who rung me up again.  So, it was onward ...

As I approached the end of the PA turnpike, I was starting to get tired, and was looking for another place I could stop.  All-of-a-sudden, I noticed a bunch of signs and people slamming on their brakes.  The end!  But, I realized I was in the wrong section of lanes (EZ Pass) and needed to get way over on the other side.  But, it was impossible with the traffic.  So, I ended up coasting through the EZ Pass thing and having a million (it felt) pictures taken.  At this point, it was only 20-30 minutes to where I was staying (in Mount Laurel), but I was thinking that there was some kinda APB out on me and I would be getting pulled-over in short-order.  (I don't ride on the turnpike much, and when I do, it's usually for an exit-or-two.)  

I also tried calling ALL of the turnpike numbers I could find and talked to a bunch of different people, who told me something different every time.  No one seemed to know (or care) what to do.  Finally, an operator told me to call back on Monday.  OK.  :]

When I finally found the hotel, it was in a pretty nice area ... lots of stuff to do.  I checked out the hotel - all pretty nice.  So, I get up to my room and ... it has a doorbell?  And two peepholes?  Once inside, I realized it is the wheelchair-asseccible room.  I checked with the front desk about getting another room, but there were no comparables.  

On the plus-side, the room was big.  But, the bed was really low to the floor and, after laying on it for awhile, I knew I was going to have trouble sleeping on it.  I made the best of it, and hung out in my room watching Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and ESPN, while drinking some very good Cabernet I picked up on the way.  When I finally fell asleep, it was around 2:00.  At least I got 4-5 hours of sleep, so I can't complain.  I woke up ready for a shower.  As I'm getting into the shower, I realized that the nozzle was really low and there was no way to raise it.  It was on a slider with an adjustment wheel.  This might have worked at the highest level, but the adjustment wheel was broken, which meant, no shower.  :(

The ride over to Nate's was easy, taking about 20 minutes.  Walking up and seeing everyone outside, and the set-up/tent etc. was AWESOME!  It was early, and everyone was already having a great time.  I saw a bunch of people I have met in other contests, some new people I've known from the Gripboard, and some other people I got to meet for the first time.  It was a great group of guys.  Chris Schoeck was there the entire day.  This guy is really interesting to talk to, as he has a very methodical perspective on strongman/bending.  You can tell how much thought he has put into training/feats after talking with him for a few minutes.  His love of the sport is immediately evident too, just observing him a short-time.  As we were getting ready to take the group picture, you hear a loud "Wooooo."  A few seconds later, Jedd comes running up the driveway.  It was pretty wild!  Mike Krahling was there too, the entire day.  Mike is still a beast ... super-strong.  I still remember the Beast of the East Steel Bending Championships 2 at Mike's place like it was yesterday (4-5 years ago?).

Everyone was talking and having fun prior to the start of the comp.  So much so, that when Nate announced it was time for grippers to start, a lot of people were surprised, myself included.  I drew the #2 position, right after Tom, so was a little panicked, as I wasn't warmed-up at all.  Nate said we'd be starting in about 5 minutes, so I grabbed a few grippers and did some quick clicks.  I picked a 118lb. Super Master for my first attempt, which turned out to be a super-easy rep.  (I should have started with the 123.)  For my second attempt, I chose the 123lb. #2.5, which was a very easy close again.  My max in training, with the 20mm block set was a 128lb. GHP6, so I wasn't completely sure of my next attempt, but decided to try for the 129lb. #2.5.  I really got set-up tight and hit this one hard.  It turned out to be a smash-rep, feeling pretty solid.  I didn't know how much I would have for the final attempt, but picked a 132lb. GHP6.  I had a decent set and close, but just missed it at the end.  Might have been 1-2 mms.  I was really happy with this, as I have had no luck with my  131lb. #2.5 with the block set.  Maybe I need to do some closes in different locations to mix things up, or get a little more intense with the bigger grippers.

The second event was the Flask.  In training, my best lift was 67.5 multiple times.  I was able to get a "bump" with 70lbs. recently.  So, I figured I'd be somewhere in the middle with the Flask.  My opener of 57lbs. was easy.  I took 64lbs. for my second attempt.  It went up pretty good, but was starting to slip toward the top.  This attempt felt no where near as strong as my training attempts.  So, I picked 66lbs. for my third attempt.  I was able to break the ground and get about halfway up, but lost it.  I missed the same weight for the fourth-attempt, but wasn't as close.  It was a disappointment with the Flask, but only a few pounds off from my best.  I think, though, if I would have opened at low 60s and then went for 66-67, I would have gotten that as a second attempt.

The final event was the 2.5" Crusher.  I knew I would go nowhere with this.  One of my worst implements ever is the Rolling Thunder, despite training extensively on it.  I knew the Crusher would be worse, due to the diameter of the handle.  In training, my best with the Crusher was 107.5.  Getting this weight has been hit-or-miss lately, so I was hoping for a solid 105, maybe 110 if everything went perfect.  But, during warmups, I couldn't get a good grip on it and was starting to second-guess my strategy.  I ended up opening with 90lbs., which turned out to be pretty easy.  My second attempt of 97 pounds felt identical to the last - both easy (and probably wasted attempts).  I picked 101lbs. as my third attempt, which started to slip from my hand on the way up, but I was able to hold on well-enough.  I tried 105 for my final attempt, but couldn't do anything with it.  Just too drained and weak.  I should have opened at 101, and then went for 105 or 108 on my second, which I think would have gone.  But too many wasted (easy) attempts ended up doing me in on this, with my already meager numbers.  

After the sanctioned events, we had a lunch/early-dinner break.  Let me start off by saying that Nate's wife (and Nate) made some of the BEST food I have ever eaten.  I am being serious when I say this, in that the chicken (at that moment-in-time) was the best chicken I have ever tasted.  I ended up eating 4-5 pieces of chicken and some ribs, which were really good too.  I think a lot of other people felt the same way about the food, as it turned out, we ended up having a very, very long break before the start of the medley/RT course.  At this time, it was approaching 4:00 I think, and I was starting to worry about getting home.  I was only in town for the day, and was driving back to Pittsburgh after the contest.  It turned out to be an awesome time, though, sitting around eating and talking to everyone about strength-sports and training.

When Nate announced it was time for the medley, though, I was happy.  Originally, I had told my wife I'd be getting home around 9:00.  No way that was going to happen any more.  ;)  It was cool seeing the kids compete and go all-out on the medley.  Actually having the three younger competitors gave an awesome vibe to the overall comp and was really fun to watch.  By the time it was my turn in the medley, I was pretty beat.  It was 90+ outside and I think everyone was drained. Not getting much sleep, coupled with the traveling was starting to take it's toll around 5:00.  But, I ended up getting 9 items on the medley, just missing on a 10th.  When I went back through and checked things, I found a block weight that I could have easily gotten, but totally overlooked it.  I didn't touch the sledges for fear of time (1-minute), but should have done the easier two.  The medley was a lot of fun, though, and didn't take that long.  

Next was the Rolling Thunder event.  It was a great time watching everyone compete in this.  There were some surprise performances, and some guys really gave it 100% effort.  As I mentioned above, my thick-bar strength stinks.  My Rolling Thunder max with my right hand varies between 120-140 (when I train it) and my left is just over 100.  With the bending comp still coming up, I decided to pass on this event, and wanted to save whatever I had left for the bending (which I was looking forward to for weeks). 

Last-but-not-least, it was time for the bending competition.  EJ really came prepared and had a TON of calibrated steel.  The competitors voted on the wraps/rules.  The choices were IMPs/no bands with a 1-minute time limit or BBW/bands with a 3-minute limit.  Everyone voted and IMPs were chosen.  I did not want to waste any effort and planned my warmups and two attempts ahead of time.  I decided to take 2 easy warmups (which ended up hurting way more than I felt comfortable with), and one semi-opener, to test things out.  My last warmup was a 375lb. bar, which turned into a painful series of movements.  I was starting to feel a little discouraged at this point, actually letting thoughts of "You are too tired" and "It's too hot out ... just pass on this" into my psyche.  But, I started to dial things in mentally, listened to some music that fired me up, and told myself it was "time to go."  When I saw the first few competitors taking their attempts, most of the pain disappeared.  I chose a 19/64 x 7" bar rated at 400lbs. as my opener.  I got fired up for this, not really knowing how I would respond, feeling as i was.  But, I got a little too amped up for it and it melted like a Yellow Nail.  Knowing that I had very little left in the tank, I called for a 8mm x 7" bar rated at 452lbs.  To get this bar, under the conditions and the way I was feeling, I knew it had to be a 100%-effort bend.  I got myself ready for it and hit it with everything I had left.  It fought me every step of the way, but I was able to finish it under a minute.  It felt great to compete in steel bending with others, as that was just the kind of thing I needed to give me a little kick.  

All-in-all, it was a great, great contest.  Nate really went all-out with everything, and worked very hard to make sure everyone had a great experience.  His family really went the extra-mile in opening up their home for everyone.  The sponsors that gave to the contest really took this to another level.  Everyone that competed put it on the line and did a great job.  Watching the kids compete was awesome and Tom's oldest son is going to be a force very soon.  Congratulations to Tom on the win, as he demonstrated phenomenal overall strength and did it with a lot of poise and humility.  

I really wished I could have stayed another night, as it looked like everyone was having fun, and it would have been cool to hang out longer, without worrying about travel.  As it was, the ride home was not fun.  A bunch of night-coffee and thrash was the only things keeping me going.  I didn't get home until 1:30 am, but couldn't sleep from the coffee.  :D

Sun (6/12)

Squats
(1x5)  135
(1x3)  225
(1x1)  315
(1x1)  335
(1x1)  355

Speed Deadlift
(3x2)  225
(3x2)  265

I'm still pretty beat-up from the comp/trip, and overall-tired, but wanted to get my squat session in before the week started.  It turned out a halfway decent workout.

Mon (6/13)

Axle Bench Press
(1x5)  125
(1x3)  175
(1x3)  215
(1x3)  235
(1x1)  265
(1x1)  305

Standing Barbell Press
(1x3)  95
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  155
(1x2)  170

Pull Ups
(2x5)

Wed (6/15)

Deadlifts
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  225
(1x1)  315
(1x1)  405
(1x1)  440
(1x1)  485

Pull Ups
(1x8)
(1x5)

Thur (6/16)

Grippers - MMS
(1x3)  #1
(1x1)  HG200 - 95
(1x1)  #2 - 102
(1x1)  #2 - 114
(1x1)  RB 210 - 120
(1x1)  Super Master - 126
(1x0)  RB 280N - 136
(1x1)  RB 280N - 133

Secret Weapon
(1x1)  50 - 10 sec.
(3x1)  60 - 5 sec.
(2x1)  70 - 3 sec.

Ironmind Hub - Holds
(3x1)  50 - 5 sec.

2" V-bar
(1x1)  105
(1x1)  130
(1x1)  155

Finger Walks - F/B
(2x1)  8

On grippers, I just missed the 136lb. close ... probably 1 mm off.  The 133lb. right after it was pretty solid.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sun (6/19)

Squats - briefs
(1x3)  225
(1x2)  315
(1x1)  405
(1x1)  435
(1x1)  455

Standing Barbell Press
(1x3)  95
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  165
(1x1)  175

We are in Florida for the week, so I had to get a week-pass at LA Fitness.  :blink

Mon (6/20)

Bench Press
(1x5)  135
(1x3)  185
(1x3)  225
(1x3)  265
(1x2)  285
(1x2)  300

Dumbbell Bench Press
(1x8)  100s
(1x5)  100s

Barbell Shrugs
(1x5)  225
(1x5)  315
(1x5)  405

Bench felt pretty good today, despite having to use a commercial gym bench, with weird-height slots.  The 100s felt light on dumbbell presses.  I did the second set after a 30 sec. break, so was gassed a little.

Wed (6/22)

Sumo Deadlifts - briefs
(1x3)  225
(1x2)  315
(1x1)  405
(1x1)  455
(1x1)  475

Standing Barbell Press
(1x3)  95
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  165
(1x1)  175

Grippers - MMS
(1x10)  Trainer
(1x3)  #1.5
(1x1)  Master - 106
(1x1)  #2 - 114
(1x1)  #2.5 - 123
(1x0)  GHP6 - 128
(1x1)  GHP6 - 128

Over crushes - 5 sec.
(5x1)  Master -106

Deadlifts felt great today, despite having to use a standard gym bar, which had no flex.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to get up to what I had planned, but had no problems.  Grippers, on the other hand, felt really weak.  I think this was mainly due to vacation and related travel stuff.  BTW, I had to go through the entire expanded security stuff at the airport due to the grippers I took.  (I had them in my carry-on bag, for fear of them getting "misplaced.")  They added another 30 minutes to my time with the TSA.  

Thur (6/23)

Close-grip Pulldowns
(1x8)  125
(1x5)  150
(1x5)  175
(1x5)  200

Lat Pulldowns
(1x10)  125
(1x8)  150
(1x5)  175

Dumbbell Curls
(1x5)  35
(1x5)  40
(1x5)  45
(2x5)  50

Decline Pushups
(2x20)

DO - IMPs
60d spiral
18/64 x 7" O1
Red Nail

I had to get a session in the hotel today, so it was some stuff I normally don't do, due to lack of weights/equipment.

Sun (6/26)

Grippers - MMS
(1x10)  Trainer
(1x5)  #1.5
(1x3)  GHP4 - 94
(1x1)  #2 - 114
(1x1)  #2.5 - 123
(1x1)  Super Master - 132

Secret Weapon
(2x1)  60 - 5 sec.
(3x1)  70 - 3 sec.

2" V-bar
(1x1)  105
(1x1)  130
(1x1)  155

Ironmind Hub
(1x1)  50
(1x1)  55
(1x1)  60

Finger Walks - F/B
(2x1)  8

2 25s Pinch
(2x1)  5 sec holds

Mon (6/27)

Bench Press
(1x5)  135
(1x3)  185
(1x3)  225
(1x2)  255
(1x2)  285
(1x2)  315

Standing Axle Press
(1x3)  85
(1x3)  125
(1x2)  155
(1x1)  175

Pull Ups
(3x5)

Dips
(2x10)

Bench felt strong today.  But, I've been having some shoulder pain, exasperated when I do standing presses.  I have been able to work through the sets, but this is totally dependent on hand and elbow placement.  The only time it seems to be hurting is when I am doing overhead presses.

Tue (6/28)

Squats
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  225
(1x1)  315
(1x1)  345
(1x1)  355

Speed Deadlifts
(1x2)  135
(1x2)  225
(3x2)  265

1-arm Kettlebell Swings
(2x20)  35

Wed (6/29)

Deadlifts
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  225
(1x1)  315
(1x1)  405
(1x1)  435
(1x1)  475

Kettle bell Swings
(2x12)  70

Pull Ups
(2x5)

Grippers - MMS
(1x8)  Trainer
(1x3)  GHP4 - 94
(1x1)  #2 - 114
(1x1)  Super Master - 126
(1x0)  GHP6 - 131
(1x10)  Master - 106

Overcrushes - 8 sec.
(1x2)  #2 - 102

Flask
(1x1)  50
(1x1)  55
(1x1)  60

Ironmind Hub - Holds
(3x1)  50 - 5 sec.

2 25s Pinch - Holds
(2x1)  5 sec. 

Finger Walks - F/B
(2x1)  8

I missed the GHP6 by a few mm's, which wasn't surprising, as all of the attempts prior felt pretty weak.  I did grippers about an hour after deadlifts today, which turned out to hurt more than help, it seemed.  The only thing that felt strong today were the Hub holds.  :ohmy

I think that missing a 131 lb rated gripper with only a few millimeters after those deadlifts is strong! :D

On July 1, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Fist of Fury said:

I think that missing a 131 lb rated gripper with only a few millimeters after those deadlifts is strong! :D

Thanks man!  Normally, I can get this gripper, but don't want to get into that rut of mental "misses" and worrying about a particular gripper.  I think the GHPs are tougher all-around on the close.  I have a 132lb. Super Master that seems a little easier to close than the 131lb. GHP6.

Fri (7/1)

Barbell Shrugs
(1x8)  135
(1x8)  225
(1x5)  315
(1x5)  405
(1x5)  475

Standing Axle Press
(1x3)  125
(1x3)  145

Barbell Curls
(1x5)  115
(1x5)  125

Kettlebell Swings
(2x12)  70

Pull Ups
(2x5)

My shoulder was feeling weird during the presses, so I ended up stopping.  It seems that it is only hurting during presses.  Pull Ups and bench are fine so far.  Even double-overhand bending doesn't seem to be a problem of late.  

16 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Thanks man!  Normally, I can get this gripper, but don't want to get into that rut of mental "misses" and worrying about a particular gripper.  I think the GHPs are tougher all-around on the close.  I have a 132lb. Super Master that seems a little easier to close than the 131lb. GHP6.

Yes I know you can. Doing grippers after deadlifts is really difficult, it totally kills my crush, I would probably not be able to close that gripper if I did deadlifts only at 80% of my max prior to it. You're strong in bench pressing also by the way, I would be happy to be anywhere near your numbers :) 

• Like 1

Sat (7/2)

Squats
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  225
(1x1)  315
add briefs
(1x1)  405
(1x1)  435
(1x1)  460

Grippers - MMS
(1x10)  Trainer
(1x5)  HG200 - 95
(1x3)  #2 - 102
(1x3)  #2 - 114
(1x1)  SM - 126
(1x1)  SM - 132

DO - IMPs
60d spiral
Yellow Nail
1/4 x 6" Grade 8
Golden Bastard

Horseshoe - 1.2" Suede
DC00

Today's session was split in two: lifting and grippers in the morning, and bending at night.  The bending was actually during our family's Fourth of July picnic.  I brought a bunch of stuff for people to try and bend.  As it turned out, my brother-in-law ended up bending a spiral 60d nail; no-one else was able to make any bends.  I wrapped up a horseshoe too, and a few guys tried it, but weren't able to move it (with coaching).  

So my bending tonight was in the middle of all of this, with a lot of distractions.  When I bent the G8 bolt, it melted.  I wasn't sure how I would perform, especially as this was late-night and things were not "optimal" for bending.  But after the G8 bolt feeling so easy, I wrapped up the Golden in IMPs and made the attempt.  It helped that all of my nieces/nephews (all aged 1-9) were watching and cheering.  This was enough to give me a little boost, which turned the bend into a total of 12-15 seconds.  (The last time I tried a Golden Bastard in IMPs, it took well over a minute.)  We were bending in the dark, by the fire, which was pretty cool too.   

• Like 1

Mon (7/4)

Standing Log Bar Presses
(1x3)  85
(1x3)  100
(1x3)  125
(1x2)  150
(1x1)  175

Partial Overhead Axle Presses
(1x3)  125
(1x3)  145
(1x2)  165
(1x1)  175
(1x1)  180
(1x1)  185

Barbell Shrugs
(1x5)  225
(1x5)  315
(1x5)  405
(1x5)  475

Pull Ups
(2x5)

Kettlebell Swings
(2x12)  70

1-arm Kettlebell Swings
(1x15)  35

Presses felt OK ... tolerable today; my shoulder is still bothering me though, and I am going to keep trying variations of overhead stuff, or take some time off, if I have to.  The swings had me pretty gassed!  :blush

Tue (7/5)

Standing Partial Barbell Press
(1x2)  95
(1x2)  115
(1x2)  135
(1x2)  155
(1x1)  165
(1x1)  175
(1x1)  185
(1x0)  195

Bamboo Bar Bench Press
(2x20)  75

Axle Curls
(1x5)  85
(1x5)  105
(1x3)  125

--SuperSet--
Pull Ups (2x5)
Decline KB Pushups (2x10)

I missed the 195 about halfway up.  Same thing with my shoulder today--not bad, but not good.  I am going to begin doing some other stuff for shoulder warmup/health throughout the day (ie. rotations, light swings etc.)  I might look into club swings too.  

Wed (7/6)

Sumo Deadlifts
(1x3)  135
(1x2)  225
(1x1)  315
add suit/straps down
(1x1)  405
(1x1)  445
(1x1)  475

KTA
Phase 1/Week 1 (Day 1)

It appears that I have a broken rib.  :(  Over the weekend, I bent my first horseshoe in a long, long time.  While I was bending it, I felt something in my rib-area pop.  There was instant pain, but I pushed through it, and finished the bend.  I went-on to get a bunch of DO work in, including the Golden Bastard in IMPs.  It hurt, but did not seem to be getting worse.  So, I was hoping it would be a few days of pain (a bruise) and then go away.

The past few days, I have been doing things that have not aggravated it.  If it hurt, I altered my position or did something else/different.  So I thought it was getting better and close to being back to "normal."  But, today, I tried to deadlift for the first time with this.  135 felt fine.  With 225, I felt an uncomfortable "tweak" in my side rib-area.  I set-up to do 315, but couldn't get down to the bar without pain.  In despair, I sat down for 5 minutes and then tried to set-up again.  Same thing.  Pain.  Not as much as the first attempt, but definitely not normal.  I waited another five minutes and then walked up to the bar and got in a speed pull.  It hurt, but happened so fast, I didn't have time to think about it.  

I was ready to call it wash, but just couldn't walk away.  So, I got into my looser deadlift suit, and tried to get into position with the bar.  It seemed to help, and wasn't causing as much pain.  I loaded the bar to 405, and was able to get the rep, with about the same amount of discomfort as the 315.  So I did the same thing with 445 and 475, just trying to hit the reps quick.  Throughout the session, I came close to puking a few times, but made it without.  

I've had rib injuries from shoes in the past, but this one is in a new place and further to the side than the others.  I am going to have an x-ray tomorrow and hopefully get some decent news.

I restarted KTA today.  :D  My goal remains the MM0 cert.  I have closed my easy #3 a few times, but just not with good enough documentation/video.  So I hope to accomplish this soon, and will be posting "practice" videos to make sure I find the best way to film my attempts when they count.  The first workout went pretty good.  The only thing that hurt was when I was trying to get in position for the negatives, so I had to use an easier gripper for that.  

I went to the doctors today and got my ribs checked-out and had x-rays.  The doctor said that it might be a rib fracture, but won't know for sure until the x-rays come back tomorrow.  I'm still in a lot of pain, but there are a lot of things I can still do (safely, I hope) that does not aggravate the area.  One of the most painful things is getting in-and-out of bed, or turning to the side and picking something up.

I am going to try to get in a light bench session a little later today, and go by feel.  On a plus, my shoulder is feeling a little better!

Thur (7/7)

Bench Press
(1x8)  135
(1x3)  185
(1x3)  225
(1x3)  265
(1x3)  300

Standing Axle Press
(1x3)  85
(1x3)  105
(1x3)  125
(1x3)  140

Axle Curls
(3x5)  85

KTA
Phase 1/Week 1 (Day 2)

I was leary of benching today, but decided to take it slow, and planned to back-off if I had to.  As it turned out, the worst part of benching for today was laying down and getting up off the bench.  The standing presses and curls were aggravating my side, so I didn't go too heavy on them.  Bench felt pretty good though.

Fri (7/8)

KTA
Phase 1/Week 1 (Day 3)

The x-rays showed no fracture, to which I am relieved!  It appears that I have some deep bruising, that is considerable in size, and is aggravated easily by any forward-bending or side-to-side movement.  I may take a week off from deadlifts, and start slow on other lifts that might aggravate it, while turning it down, if I have to, due to pain.  

Gripper work was considerably tougher today than the past two.  Negatives felt weak.