Fbbc & Bb Closed.

Mike Sharkey

Chez just told me that FBBC is closing up shop for good. I will assume that means the certs will no longer be contested either. Obviously Bender's Battlefield died an ugly death earlier this year as well. Perhaps we could get something going over here on the Gripboard. Not sure exactly what that would entail or who would be responsible for it, but it seems like the bending section has become more active. Obviously there would have to be either rating steel, or a consistency of supplier, as well as someone responsible for judging and overseeing everything.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

This weekend, I'm going to be going to the hardware and trying to make a set-up to calibrate steel all my weights are calibrate so I will report back on progress.

I'll let EJ chime in, but I think he has some plans in the works.

• Like 1

I did not hear anything from Fbbc about this. I will email them tonight.

I did however get a hold of Mike K about all the calibrated steel. He has no problem giving it to me and me seeking it as needed along with the roll of wraps. Him and I are working out the details on price or a consignment type thing.

I have no problem being a judge. I judged for the Battlefield and FBBC for years, so I'm not new to judging. I also moderated, wrote rules and different things vs like that- so that's not new to me either.

I wanted to get my post count up and establish a reputation on here before I even thought about pm'ing Bill (wannagrip). But if the mods of this site will allow it, I have no problem getting things started and off the ground.

• Like 7

I did not hear anything from Fbbc about this. I will email them tonight. I did however get a hold of Mike K about all the calibrated steel. He has no problem giving it to me and me seeking it as needed along with the roll of wraps. Him and I are working out the details on price or a consignment type thing. I have no problem being a judge. I judged for the Battlefield and FBBC for years, so I'm not new to judging. I also moderated, wrote rules and different things vs like that- so that's not new to me either. I wanted to get my post count up and establish a reputation on here before I even thought about pm'ing Bill (wannagrip). But if the mods of this site will allow it, I have no problem getting things started and off the ground.

Let's make this happen. You are definitely the right man for the job. Let me know if you need anything. Other then, you know, for me to bend something :whacked

It would be good if the cert list from FBBC could be keep somewhere so we don't lose all the year of cert from there.

• Like 2

I saw FBBC's post a while ago on Facebook announcing that they were closing and that the business was up for sale. I actually reached out to them for more information and after one e-mail I received no further responses and no information....oh well.

I copied their bending cert lists and also took screen shots to have everything documented just in case.

The FBBC certs were the only thing that kept me bending after my red nail cert. Now would be a great time for someone to get something off the ground to fill the void that BB and FBBC have left.

If IronMind came out with a "black" nail...something between the red and gold...I'd train for it.

• Like 6

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I've been preparing for this quite honestly. I loved the FBBC certs and the service I got was always top notch. My crappy internet wouldn't allow me to watch vids to judge but as far as the steel and the technical parts of that I've been putting together some things that I think will be pretty neat. I've developed a really good relationship with quite a few steel suppliers and I will have my own calibration rig soon.

It was a nice ride and I was proud to chase the FBBC certs. My first really big goal was to be the first to cert on the 8 inch spike (80d) and that was back when John used the USA made keystone spikes and they were much tougher. Once he had the cheaper Chinese spikes, the list really took off. That was my first major goal and I still have that spike to this day.

• Like 3

Damn ive fallen in love with bending and now ive lost my chance to ever get on a cert list? Hoping EJ can get something started.

I just found some of my old stock cut by John Beatty himself. I'm glad I have a MOAB, KOAB, KOASB and others to keep as a souvenier.

• Like 1

Very sad about this,there were great names and grip legends on those lists and they must be kept they are part of history in my opinion.

talking about i still dont know what happened to the benders battlefield.

Keep the bastard certs going and all those as they are the best! Maybe someone could take over the business or create one just like it or atleast find out where the steel is sourced from to get exactly the same bars as sold before!

• Like 1

I think anyone who attempts a cert on a bastard should still be able have that recognised on here and able to add it to their title

I personally never did one cert for FBBC. I did however really enjoyed looking at the names on the list, as it was full of legends, people I admire and many Internet bending friends. But for me the list never distinguished between someone that bent a bastard in imp’s verses someone that bent it in double leathers with crush pads. The two bends are not even in the same league yet are recognized as the same achievement.

I did however cert on the benders battlefield as the cert lists used calibrated stock, only kept a top 10 bend list, and distinguished between types of wraps.

I don’t know what the best step forward is. I don’t want to lose the FBBC lists as it encompasses the majority of the history of bending. Maybe the FBBC cert lists could continue on and be updated. But it might be time to start a new list of sorts. A brand new GB bending list or certification. The GB is now the place to go for bending. It might be cool to have a bending ladder like grippers have the MM ladder. MM0 could be a red in imp’s. A MM1 could be a piece of steel above that etc. If someone could calibrate steel then we could have an easy progression from MM0 – MM8 or something by using a poundage range for each cert attempt. Something clear and laid out like what grippers have would be cool.

Either way the history of bending needs to be preserved and the future of bending needs to be established.

• Like 3

I personally never did one cert for FBBC. I did however really enjoyed looking at the names on the list, as it was full of legends, people I admire and many Internet bending friends. But for me the list never distinguished between someone that bent a bastard in imp’s verses someone that bent it in double leathers with crush pads. The two bends are not even in the same league yet are recognized as the same achievement.

I did however cert on the benders battlefield as the cert lists used calibrated stock, only kept a top 10 bend list, and distinguished between types of wraps.

I don’t know what the best step forward is. I don’t want to lose the FBBC lists as it encompasses the majority of the history of bending. Maybe the FBBC cert lists could continue on and be updated. But it might be time to start a new list of sorts. A brand new GB bending list or certification. The GB is now the place to go for bending. It might be cool to have a bending ladder like grippers have the MM ladder. MM0 could be a red in imp’s. A MM1 could be a piece of steel above that etc. If someone could calibrate steel then we could have an easy progression from MM0 – MM8 or something by using a poundage range for each cert attempt. Something clear and laid out like what grippers have would be cool.

Either way the history of bending needs to be preserved and the future of bending needs to be established.

Someone has to step up and put the time and effort in to making this happen, and it probably needs to be someone who has experience. This is a lot to ask, but hopefully this person can get help from a few trusted people. It almost seems like BB should be purchased and migrated over to the Gripboard. I have no idea if this can be done, or how it would work technically, or who would pay for it and put in the time and effort. It just seems like what we want and need already existed on BB.

We can all help, I have no clue how I can help but am willing to try. Wojo awesome call on the screen shots etc. All that hard work cant go to waste!

I was going to get a last snapshot of the existing FBBC certs before the page is taken down and see if I can get a cleaned up copy up for posterity sake. Wish I had the time to take on the bendiing bars making but that is a pipe dream right now.

Certainly would be happy to help with video judging though.

• Like 1

So that's two of us wanting to judge.

So that's two of us wanting to judge.

The question is what will be judged? The continued fbbc lists or something more refined? I would be willing to help out with the judging.
  • Like 1

I am down for helping with anything, doesn't matter what, just want to help contribute to a great society.

• Like 1

I'd help with anything to get something up-and-running. It'd be awesome for the new benders to have something like we did to chase and make things competitive and interesting.

• Like 1

I can't help judge unless hughesnet improves a lot really soon but the steel and the technical details I'd gladly help and even take it on myself. Behind the scenes I've supplied many people on here with steel, both common and very rare. I've got steel that took me 6 months to wait for a full shipping container to be available from European countrys. I've chased steel and studied this to probably an unhealthy level. I've been designing a new calibration rig for a couple months now that would allow me to calibrate more efficiently and not get burned out. It's going to be top notch but quite expensive but the results should be awesome. Should start building it in a week or so.

I've already invested in a good metal cut-off saw and that has made life much easier for me.

I was going to put something together either way and now that this news has surfaced, the need is even greater.

We'll make this happen guys.

• Like 3

Hello to all! FBBC is closing up shop, but I am not going to just shut the door. I am working with getting all of the stuff together so I can sell it to someone who has the same passion John and I have had with running FBBC. I have never sold a business before and am not really sure how to get things in order, but I am working on it. The reason I am selling FBBC is that I helped John when he had the business and then my wife helped me run things after I bought the business from John. My wife and I have decided to divorce and this is something I don't feel comfortable doing by myself. I have 2 kids that are going to need me to be around and not working in the garage. I dont get on the gripboard as often as I should and checking emails on the FBBC site is not my strong point. My wife took care of all of checking emails so if you would like to keep in touch or have questions you can email me at katsdad6@aol.com. I check that one about every day. Sorry for the bad news! I REALLY have enjoyed doing FBBC and thank you all for making FBBC what it has become.

Jerry Donaldson

Edited by qball
  • Like 3

Sorry for the news and your kids are definitely more important. I've never sold a business, just closed one so I can't say much on that either. Owning your own business is a trial unlike any other I've faced. My store was burglarized 3 times in one week and that was the final straw for me.

Anyway Jerry, I hope all works out well for you. I was sort of retired from bending when John sold the company so I never got to deal with you but I loved FBBC back when I was certing on the steel. Lots of good memories.