First Red Nail Plus Pr Bonus Bends

Frank Pizzo

So yeah my bending session went pretty dang good today! I warmed up with some grade 2's, some 1/4 CRS, some Grade 5's then the real fun began.

First bend is a 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 (triangle)...not a PR but the first I've done on film.

Second bend is my first completed Red Nail (not measured on camera but I did check it after the bend).

Third bend is 5/16" x 8" CRS...this felt very awkward but I've been wanting to try some 8" length bars for a while now.

Last bend isn't really a bend but a wobble. I knew I wouldn't get it but I wanted to see if I could at least get some movement out of a

3/8" x 6" Grade 2 bolt....of course it didn't bend much but I'm still as pleased as a bull dog on a meat wagon after checking it and seeing some movement!

Thanks for checking these vids out:

5/16" x 8" CRS

3/8" x 6" Grade 2 wobble

• Like 2

First red nail, that's awesome.

• Like 1

Awesome job and congratulations! The first red is a milestone you never forget. Grade 8, especially the triangles are nothing to sneeze at either. Last one I calibrated hit 500 pounds.

• Like 1

Awesome job and congratulations! The first red is a milestone you never forget. Grade 8, especially the triangles are nothing to sneeze at either. Last one I calibrated hit 500 pounds.

Great job! First Red you will never forget.

Thanks Ben,

Thanks Tim,

I'm wondering what some good bends I should be concentrating on now are. Obviously doing the Red in singles is on my priority list but what about with the doubles. I was thinking of cutting some 5/16" CRS down to 6" and trying that...also I would like to bend a 5/16 x 7" Grade 5 but that one is a big jump so what are some common stepping stones up to it?

• Like 1

He'll ya! Congrats. The red nail is a huge milestone.

• Like 1

Good job bro. Your next goal should be to cert that SOB. Couple more months and it's yours, for sure.

• Like 1

Good job bro. Your next goal should be to cert that SOB. Couple more months and it's yours, for sure.

Thank you very much E.J.

I know it can take as much as a year to go from doubles to certing so I'll just keep plugging away at it...I failed over and over again to even move a Red Nail as little as a few weeks ago so I know that if I stick with it I'll take one down eventually!

Thank you very much E.J.

I know it can take as much as a year to go from doubles to certing so I'll just keep plugging away at it...I failed over and over again to even move a Red Nail as little as a few weeks ago so I know that if I stick with it I'll take one down eventually!

Took me maybe two months. But you really have to leave the doubles alone. The kink in IMP's is more about hand conditioning and pain tolerance than specifically strength.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Yeah boy! Congrats big guy! Just be careful wit them buggers at first, I hurt myself obsessing with the cert, its still a tough ass chunck of metal, Feels amazing nonetheless !

It won't take a year frank. You will do it way sooner than that. I agree that you should try and ditch the doubles. I personally just used imp wraps only but my hands and knuckles were sore after bends for up to a few days or even more a couple times. Now that they are used to it the only place that gets hurt a little or skin rubbed off is the outside of my pointer finger at the knuckle joint. Right on the side of both pointers.

You can always taper back the wraps in stages as well. I have probably 10 different levels of wrap combos from thick doubles all the way down to IMPs and a couple that are even rougher than that.

The kink of a Red in IMPs I agree is more about pain tolerance. Don't get me wrong, it involves more strength but the pain is definately the worst part for me. Chalking the heck out of the pads helps some though so I'd highly advise that.

Fantastic Frank! killer bend bro. Hold on to that first Red.

Thanks Sean!

And yeah its up on the wall.

You can always taper back the wraps in stages as well. I have probably 10 different levels of wrap combos from thick doubles all the way down to IMPs and a couple that are even rougher than that.

The kink of a Red in IMPs I agree is more about pain tolerance. Don't get me wrong, it involves more strength but the pain is definately the worst part for me. Chalking the heck out of the pads helps some though so I'd highly advise that.

Tim,

I'm gonna go for one on Saturday in just single IMP's...but if I can't get the bend done like that then I'll try either double IMP's or single leathers..which would be the better step down in padding from the leather over IMP's combo I used on this bend?

-Thanks

Just give her hell in singles. That's what I did. I just kept cranking on it after my warm up bends until I couldn't do it anymore. It eventually bent. They just got easier from there.