How To Wrap A Steel Bar For Bending - Instructional Video

Sean Cashman

Thought this might be helpful for new benders. The importance of a good tight wrap is often overlooked by beginners.

I did not invent this wrapping technique. There are many ways to wrap steel but this is how I do it. Also I tend to use the term pad and wrap interchangeably.

Cheers!

Edited by Sean Cashman
  • Like 7

Thanks for the video, Sean. I just watched it without sound (I'll watch it at home later with the sound), so maybe you cover it, but:

Do you specifically wrap the bar on the tag end of the pad first, or did it just happen to be that way when you shot the video? If yes, is there a reason you do it that way? I always wrap with the tag at the end of the wrap, not the bar (beginning) end. I don't remember why, though. I read/heard it somewhere, and just have always done it. I wonder if it is a tradition that I don't have to worry about. I think it had to do with somehow getting a more even wrap.

There is no dialog in the video only music anyway. Great video Sean. That is how I've been wrapping mine. Thanks.

Thanks for the video, Sean. I just watched it without sound (I'll watch it at home later with the sound), so maybe you cover it, but:

Do you specifically wrap the bar on the tag end of the pad first, or did it just happen to be that way when you shot the video? If yes, is there a reason you do it that way? I always wrap with the tag at the end of the wrap, not the bar (beginning) end. I don't remember why, though. I read/heard it somewhere, and just have always done it. I wonder if it is a tradition that I don't have to worry about. I think it had to do with somehow getting a more even wrap.

The wrapping of the tag doesn't matter. A few serious small pad benders wrap the tag on the outside of the bar or place it inside the fold, so it's not touching the metal. It's done this way to preserve the tag and show they are true ironmind pads. Do what makes you comfortable. Bending is all about comfort.

On a huge side note, thanks for this video Sean. Another impressive video to say the least.

Thanks jchap! It doesn't matter where the tag is on the wraps. I have no personal preference, it's just how my wraps got rolled for the first time. Though some might say it can get in the way at the beginning of the wrap, and others might say it can get in the way at the end of the wrap. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

The wrapping of the tag doesn't matter. A few serious small pad benders wrap the tag on the outside of the bar or place it inside the fold, so it's not touching the metal. It's done this way to preserve the tag and show they are true ironmind pads. Do what makes you comfortable. Bending is all about comfort.

On a huge side note, thanks for this video Sean. Another impressive video to say the least.

Thanks EJ. I know to most it probably seems like rolling a wrap is rudimentary common sense but this video is aimed at someone brand new to bending who might never of wrapped a piece of steel before in their life. Thus I tried to keep it quick and basic. Cheers.

There is no dialog in the video only music anyway. Great video Sean. That is how I've been wrapping mine. Thanks.

Thanks King Crusher!

where can i get those plastic bands ?

Any office supply store, pharmacy, big box store. Pretty much everywhere. You just have to look for them. I got a package of a hundred or so at a walgreens.

know to most it probably seems like rolling a wrap is rudimentary common sense but this video is aimed at someone brand new to bending who might never of wrapped a piece of steel before in their life.

There has actually been alot of questions as to this, and its a bit hard to describe. Good video as always.

Any office supply store, pharmacy, big box store. Pretty much everywhere. You just have to look for them. I got a package of a hundred or so at a walgreens.

i found some online but there is lots of lengths , so would you mind measuring the length and width of your bands

i found some online but there is lots of lengths , so would you mind measuring the length and width of your bands
Not sure if you are serious or messing with me?!? It doesn't matter what size the bands are.

Not sure if you are serious or messing with me?!? It doesn't matter what size the bands are.

the bands sizes varies from 1/2 inch to 7 inch , i was asking because i dont know if i get a 3 inch band would that be too small or if i get a 6 inch band would that be too large , and since we dont have those bands here and shipping them would take 3:4 weeks i can't make an order and if the size is not right make another order and wait another 3:4 weeks

They don't sell rubber bands where you live? If you really can't find any, I can mail you some.

• Like 1

They don't sell rubber bands where you live? If you really can't find any, I can mail you some.

the only rubber bands i know of looks like this http://www.alnaharegypt.com/upload/press/13/12/22/1387748712851.jpg a cross section of them would look like a square not rectangular like yours , and they are not that big so they would snap if i wrapped the pad with them , and thanks for your offer but i actually found some on ebay and want to know which length to get

the only rubber bands i know of looks like this http://www.alnaharegypt.com/upload/press/13/12/22/1387748712851.jpg a cross section of them would look like a square not rectangular like yours , and they are not that big so they would snap if i wrapped the pad with them , and thanks for your offer but i actually found some on ebay and want to know which length to get
You're rubber bands that you have will work fine

Thanks for the video Sean, there are multiple things in this tutorial that I haven't been doing right! I'm glad you posted this up because I might not have ever thought about using a clamp, (or at least not thought of it for a long time) and I didn't know to fold the wraps over before you start rolling them...heck I just started folding my pads into thirds instead of in half thanks to suggestions in that topic I started...again great video.

That clamp is nice if you have a table where you bend. I just use my foot to hold it tight as I roll it. Clap probably would be better though.

• 3 months later...

Good video, as someone absolutely new to bending I was wraping all wrong, tried it doing what you just showed and the warps felt firm and tight, also the bend felt easier.

Thanks

I am not a bender, but it is something I am thinking about taking more seriously. I notice that you roll the steel toward your body in the video. You stated to be sure to pull away from the clamp when rolling. Would this not be much more effective if you were rolling away from your body instead of toward it? Then you can pull more tightly. Not sure if rolling one way or the other is that much better or not? Any opinions?

Good video, as someone absolutely new to bending I was wraping all wrong, tried it doing what you just showed and the warps felt firm and tight, also the bend felt easier.

Thanks

Glad it helped!

I am not a bender, but it is something I am thinking about taking more seriously. I notice that you roll the steel toward your body in the video. You stated to be sure to pull away from the clamp when rolling. Would this not be much more effective if you were rolling away from your body instead of toward it? Then you can pull more tightly. Not sure if rolling one way or the other is that much better or not? Any opinions?

It's really personal preference I guess. When I roll toward myself I can see the roll better and feel like I can maintain tension on the wrap throughout. I've tried rolling away and I didn't feel as comfortable. But that's not to say it wouldn't work for others.

Are there any special concerns for wrapping when you will be removing the bands to bend?

I wrap exactly the same way. I just don't wind the bands over and over excessively. This way the bands can pop off easily.

If you're new to taking off the bands it does take some skill and practice. So practice taking off your bands on your easy warm-up bends so that you get comfortable doing it. Still perform you max attempts with bands so you can just focus on crushing big steel. But after a month or so of using no bands on your warm-up attempts you'll be so confident and comfortable without them it won't matter.