2015 International King Kong Grip Challenge - October 24Th

Eric Roussin

I have three questions one on weight stack height. What is the height used for competition on say the 2.5 crusher and hub lift is just to lockout right.My last question is on the hub lift besides the thumb are you allowed to put any other side of fingers on hub or is it just finger tips only. Thank you

Any guesses on what weight some of the top lifts will be on the 2.5" Crusher?

I'm guessing low 200-ish for the top guys.

The rules for the shallow hub will be the one's used by David Horne. http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bhsarules.html

Shallow Hub (one hand) – GripTopz
Only the Hub is to be grasped. To keep this lift within the spirit of the Hub Lift (proper ‘claw’ style), only the fingertips of the thumb, index and middle fingers are to grasp the Hub. The fingertips are the distal phalanges. The other two fingers may oppose, or not be on at all. These are the fingers that grasp slightly slanted.
The apparatus is lifted until the marker jutting out at the bottom (at 3.5” from the floor) touches a horizontal bar placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the bar to the floor. This allows a 13” lift.
There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control (hand grasping it all the way down). If the top accidentally touches the bar before the weight itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained.
You must not intentionally tilt the apparatus to gain leverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zj1G-u2Ib4

This is a demo of the loading pin that will be used for the Crusher. I'm leaning toward a 8" lift but I wanted to have a bunch of guys try it out this weekend as well as Eric. The pin could also be used for a 6" or 10" lift. I can't see us wanting to use the 13" setting for the Crusher you would have to be Durniat tall in that case.

I'm guessing low 200-ish for the top guys.

That's about what I was thinking. In my opinion, 200 is a huge lift on the 2.5".

• Like 2

I noticed in the past Diablo Rock gym was one of the hosts (30 min from SF). So far I see no hosts in the West Coast :/

Thanks John! I will contact fbbc

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

I'm planning on working through the weekend to make about 30 of the 2.5" and another 20 of the 2". Being sick for almost 2 weeks messed things up quite a bit.

• Like 1

IF there is anyone in NC or the surrounding areas interested, I will be trying to hold this contest at Clayton Crossfit. I have 5 guys right now that are showing interest. Wanted to put it in this thread that I'm trying to bring grip contests to NC. It will be my first time hosting anything so bear with me :upsidedwn

• 2 months later...

If I am reading the rules right for the shallow hub, it means you cannot turn and angle the thumb so that you can get a grip on the hub with your tune past the first knuckle?

Just want to practice the correct way as I know I can lift quite a bit more if I angle my thumb to get part of my thumb past my first knuckle on the hub.

Thanks

• Like 1

Getting close to the 3 month out point.

• Like 1

I'm going to come to this, specifically the Marthasville, MO location unless something else closer to Nashville pops up. When are registrations going to be up? What is the entry fee?

Edited by Squeezus

Each promoter pays a base fee to host a King Kong venue to cover the cost of the purchase and shipping of awards. Each promoter is then free to charge competitors whatever they feel is appropriate. Venue hosts are also free to handle registrations however they see fit. In my case (the Ottawa venue) I simply do registrations at the contest. I suggest contacting Luke Wicks to see what his plans are for the Marthasville contest.

Note that there is a possibility that other venues will be added. Any interested promoters should get in touch with me or Andrew Pantke.

• Like 1

I'm currently in contact with the GM of Diablo Rock Gym in Concord, California, it might be possible to host the event there. They hosted the event in 2013. We are trying to schedule meeting time to talk more about it. Eric, should I also have him contact you or Andrew? I have all the grip implements for the events except the euro. Is there anyone from northern California here that has the euro?

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

If this happens I think a lot of climbers from the Bay Area will be interested in it and also I'll try to get my buddies from the ninja warrior gym (10 min away) to come and compete.

Any questions can be directed to me and/or Andrew. The best way to reach me is via email (eroussin@rogers.com). It would be great to have a California venue again this year.

• Like 1

That would be sweet. Let me know what we can do to help.

• Like 1

Any questions can be directed to me and/or Andrew. The best way to reach me is via email (eroussin@rogers.com). It would be great to have a California venue again this year.

That would be sweet. Let me know what we can do to help.

awesome, thanks guys!

For each individual event, the same hand must be use. So if you start your crusher attempts with your right hand, all of your attempts must be done with your right hand. However, you may switch to your left hand for another event (e.g. v-bar). I suggest competitors have an idea of which hand they plan to use for each event prior to the contest. In my case, I plan to do my one-hand pinch, crusher, and v-bar attempts with my right hand, and my shallow hub attempts with my left hand.

• Like 2