Backyard Bash 2015

Andrew P

This is what I think the lineup looks like so far.

Expected Entries: (Verbal, Entry Forms, Emails, Etc.)

Darrin Shalman (Grip LW)

Frank Pizzo (Grip HW/ Bending)

Jake Sahlaney (Grip MW)

Brent Barbe (Grip MW)

Nick Rosendaul (Grip HW)

Stew Rosendaul (?)

Rob McMurran (Bending) Tentative will know day of

Nick will Stew and yourself be part of the short bending contest?

Expected Entries: (Verbal, Entry Forms, Emails, Etc.)

Darrin Shalman (Grip LW)

Frank Pizzo (Grip HW/ Bending)

Jake Sahlaney (Grip MW)

Brent Barbe (Grip MW)

Nick Rosendaul (Grip HW/ Bending)

Stew Rosendaul (Grip)

Rob McMurran (Bending) Tentative will know day of

Adam Thatcher (Grip MW)

I'll be bending as well. have a month to relearn how but, I do intend to try.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A little under 2 weeks out. If anyone else is planning on making it out please let me know.

Unless there is a tourney cancelled, I won't be there. Both my kids have soccer tournaments that day now. If anything changes I will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to Andrew for putting on another great comp. Rachael and I had a great time.

Has anyone picked up an extra pair of Rheband knee sleeves? Rachael seems to have misplaced hers at the comp.

Thanks

Adam

Yup great comp Andrew! I will check my bag Adam. Good seeing you again! Rachael is a beast! Did awesome!

Yup great comp Andrew! I will check my bag Adam. Good seeing you again! Rachael is a beast! Did awesome!

Thanks again Andrew. I had a great time. Perfect weather and a good turnout. I enjoyed finally getting a chance to compete with FBBC implements.

Fantastic Contest I'm going to post the results with a write-up tonight.

I found the knee sleves in my bag Adam. Send my a address and I will ship them to you.

Awesome contest(s), had a blast, great to see everyone again and also great meeting you Rachel and Stew!

Can't wait for the next one!

First off, thank you to everyone for coming out and making this contest as much fun as it was. It was especially nice to see the wife’s out supporting their crazy husbands.

Part 1:
The 1st event for the day was the 2” vertical bar. This is a solid 2” round steel shaft with a round base welded to it to hold plates. The lifter will then lift the bar off the ground to a height of 2 inches and return the devise back to the ground under control. There is no down signal but that didn’t stop me from getting down on the ground to yell out to the lifters when they crossed the 2” mark. Rachael opened up with XXX and then upped to a world record pull and made it look easy with a nice long pause at the top of a full lock out lift. She then upped the poundage to 164.05 setting the new record for the women’s 2” vertical bar. Now with the bulk of the contestants done the monster’s came out to play. Stew continued his history of crazy vertical bar lifts topping out the day with a 247.65 pound pull. Jake was going round for round with Darrin and Stew topping off with a contest lift of 254.84 but he made a good warm up pull of 270.38 before attempting a new world record of 287. Finally Darrin pulled off the win in the 2” vertical bar with a 270.38 pull on his 4th attempt with what looked to be plenty of gas to spare. This sets a new record in the NAGS 74kg weight class.

Overall Scoring
Darrin 270.38, 10pt
Jake 254.84, 9.42pt
Stew 247.65, 9.15pt
Nick 220.12, 8.14pt
Andrew 220.12, 8.14pt
Adam 196.68, 7.27pt
Frank 188.8, 6.98pt
Rachael, 164.05, 6.06

• Like 1

Part 2:

Next up the max weight farmers pick made a comeback from MGC last year. Handles were 18” off the ground with light knurling. The only support equipment allowed was a belt. The event was ran last man standing with 20 pound jumps in each hand. Stew and myself both paid attention to our nagging back injuries and bowed out early before anything could tear. Rachael pushed to an impressive 275 in each hand pull after an initial miss then walking back to the platform with 30 seconds left on the clock and ground out the pull. Adam was able to dominate the event with his background in strongman clear when he pulled 375 in each hand. All weights listed are per hand.

Overall Scoring

Adam 375, 10pt (17.27)

Jake 355, 9.46pt (18.88)

Frank 315, 8.4pt (15.38)

Andrew 295, 7.86pt (16)

Nick 295, 7.86pt (16)

Rachael 275, 7.33pt (13.39)

Darrin 275, 7.33pt (17.33)

Stew 235, 6.26pt (15.41)

Part 3:

Now that everyone’s backs and hands are getting tired we moved to the 2” crusher to a 6” crossbar. This is a 2” revolving all steel handle with a lot of spin. The devise had a loading pin with a crossbar that hits the crossbar when a 6 lift is done. This being the 1st time it was done a lot of us where playing cautious not being sure where our openers should exactly be. Frank made all four of his pulls getting an official lift of 139.98 but making a bonus pull of 151.37. It turns out that the devise ramps up rather quick with most of us missing after our 1st and 2nd official lifts. Adam and Jake once again showed off their expertise in thick bar lifting with a respective 191.66 and 209.88 pull. Thanks guys for all the positive feedback on the feel of the Crusher.

Jake 209.88, 10pt (28.88)

Adam 191.66, 9.13pt (26.4)

Stew 178.56, 8.50pt (23.91)

Nick 171.78, 8.18pt (24.18)

Andrew 169.35, 8.06pt (24.06)

Darrin 151, 7.21pt (24.54)

Frank 139.98, 6.66pt (22.04)

Rachael 115, 5.49pt (18.88)

• Like 1

Part 4: The Blob Toss

Last but not least was the Blob Toss. This has been something that I’ve been implementing in my own training for a couple years on and off but Andrew Durniat’s Girevoy Sport Sprint contest formed the backbone of the rules. Each athlete had their pick of a York block weight ranging from 25 pounds to 50 pounds. The score was the most hand to hand tosses done in a 5 minute time frame multiplied by the poundage of the block. Rachel and myself opened up to blob toss. I chose the 27.5 pound block and started with quick hand to hand. The first 60 seconds felt good and strong with about 100 transfers done. Minutes 2 to 3 started slowing down as the lactic acid built up and the sets got shorter as I had to set the block down and re-chalk. The last 2 minutes was pure torture as the hands started cramping and the lunges begged for oxygen. High performances where Rachael who tossed a 2” disk (19.5#) 334 times, and Nick who dominated with 284 tosses with the 27.5 block.

Jake 5362.5# 6.86pt (35.75)

Nick 7810# 10pt (34.19)

Andrew 6545#, 8.38pt (32.45)

Darrin 6150#, 7.87pt (32.42)

Stew 6242.5# 7.99pt (31.92)

Adam 3575# 4.58pt (30.98)

Rachael 6513# 8.34pt (27.23)

Frank 3400# 4.35pt (26.40)

Overall Standing (No classes)

1st Jake Sahlaney

2nd Nick Rosendaul

3rd Andrew Pantke

4th Darrin Shallman

5th Stew Rosendaul

6th Adam Thatcher

7th Rachael Thatcher

8th Frank Pizzo

Light Weights

1st Darrin Shallman

2nd Rachael Thatcher

Medium Weights

1st Andrew Pantke

2nd Stew Rosendaul

3rd Stew Rosendaul

Heavy Weights

1st Jake Sahlaney

2nd Nick Rosendaul

3rd Frank Pizzo

• Like 1

Thanks for that Andrew! I was not happy with my #'s but the blob toss gained me much needed points. My farmers pick was crap not sure what was up with that.

• Like 1

Bummer I didn't get to see you go nuts on the blob toss but Kate said you where a machine with that thing.

Excellent performances! Darrin's 270 2" V-bar is crazy, and in light of his smaller hands, it's shake your head-crazy!

• Like 1

Looks like everyone had a great time. Awesome numbers! How did the bending contest go?