Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge Xix

Martin_Arildsson

You can watch some photos from the contest here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1603265143281293.1073741849.1375359916071818&type=3

Despite that Oscar came in last he was very impressive, he's only 13 years old!

Peter, I saw that some lifts were recorded, but neither Arne or I have any photos or videos.

• Like 2

Eric,

It was glued to the floor. I knew already as we were warming up that your WR would be safe. We did initially plan on using Arne's pinch set up but had to dropp that idea when it turned out that he had removed all chalk. I don't think Martin's set up (which we ended up using) had been used frequently lately (correct me if I am wrong Martin). It had two generations of chalk build-up, an old one slick as snott (had actually turned gray) and a new one on top of that. It was a rather slippery set up (eg Kalle Lane's pinch numbers were down as well), not extremely slippery but below average. Given the stable environment in the gym conditions would never going to be optimal (which for me is cool and very humid) but probably average with a properly prepared set-up. My guestimate is that I lost maybe 2 kg compared to if the implement had had an average 'grippiness'. Unfortunately (for me that is) I had failed to peak in the 2HP leading up to the competition and pulled 85k back home in Perth the week before. Based on the last time I went to Sweden I knew I would loose 2-3 % in strength from jet lag but also that I gain about 5% from the adrenaline kick of competing so in the end (given the condition of the implement etc.) I pulled exactly what I could hope to achieve this time. Bottom line is I was not strong enough. I think one should be able to beat a record even if all the planets are not lined up perfectly. I was happy though to get that 85.3k as I think it will place me as #2 in the 74k class at the moment and, after all, I have always struggled with the 2HP.

Grippers went exactly according to plan as I got what I done in training just before I left Perth. The gain I normally get from competitng was most likely negated by feeling a bit off (jet lag).

In training I was at peak strength in thickbar (in -74 that is as I loose a lot of strength in thickbar compared with weighing closer to 80k) and equalled my training PR.

For some reason my right hand refused to cooperate in the wrist event as I only managed 3.0k (had done 3.5 k in training) but I was happy to get 3.25k with my left hand (a PR) and I think I equalled David Wigren's result with my left (he beat me easily with the right though).

Not much to say about my overall 6th place as there was a huge weight difference between myself and most of the competitiors (to add yet another excuse). My hat off to David for beating me (we had a friendly competition within the competition) and it was great to meet him and all the others. I think several of the grippers results were good enough for the top15 lists.

Finally a big thank you to Martin for keeping track of all numbers and to Arne for judging (Martin judged the gripper event). I was a great competiton and I look forward to return again some day.

• Like 4

Good write up Siversson! I had a great time meeting you and the others. It almost felt like a who's who meetup of all the swedish grip legends.

Regarding my own performance, it probably couldn't have gone much better. Going into this contest I've struggled with some minor injuries. Back in February i sustained a back injury that kept me from pinch and thickbar lifting for little over a month. I had a injury in my right wrist that prevented heavy training for the wrist event. Thankfully though the injury got fully cleared a few weeks before the contest and I was able to lift with full effort without pain at all. For the grippers however, I think I peaked my gripper strength to early. Might be that training for the wrist event sapped gripper strength, I know Siversson mentioned having experienced something similar. So with all this in mind I really didn't expect much from myself. But I managed to snag a 4th place. Not to shabby considering I weighed in at 79.6 kg.

Grippers. I got a 156 close righty and a 137 close lefty. Got within a nuthair of closing a 162 righty and 141 lefty, but I didn't quite get it. Martin did a great job judging this event.

2HP as Siversson mentioned, the device as a bit slippy. Had a bit of a powdery feel to it. I thought it was leftoverchalk from other lifters so I took a few seconds to wipe the surface and slap away to chalk dust. But it still had the powdery feel to it. I think maybe it might have been fine particles from the old seasoning breaking off. Anyhow I managed to lift 74 kg in this event.

LGC rolling handle. Felt super strong on this today. Going in to this my previous best was 62.5 kg lefty and 67.5 kg righty, and those are the exact numbers I hit in the contest. Got very close to a 64 kg lift lefty. Got it to lockout but didn't have the strength to pause at the top so it was red lighted, and rightfully so.

Wrist event. I was placed 7th leading up to this event. I knew I would do well since my wrists are pretty strong. But I had no direct experience with the device. My supination felt superstrong but my pronation was holding me back. I could feel how I was drastically weaker at the very end of the supinated position. If this will be a reoccurring event, I will definitely have to address this weakness. Thankfully though I was able to pergorm very well and I was able to lift 3.75 kg righty and 3.25 kg lefty. It was enough for me to jump up to 4th in the total.

It really was back and forth with me and Siversson. I beat him in the gripper event. But he destroyed me in the 2HP and jumped ahead. I narrowly beat him in the thickbar event. Leading up to the last event Siversson was ahead with just a few points in the total score. But the last event really suited me and I was able to steal the friendly competition between him and me, this time! And I say this time because I expect many more battles in future competitions here in Sweden and mayby even in Perth Australia!

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 4

Pesky pinch is, of course, as much about "conditions" as it is about your own condition. But you needn't worry about me bumping up the record in your weight class anytime soon, Mikael, as I'm currently 218 and climbing. Maybe I'll host a contest in the winter just to see what I can pull under good conditions at a much higher body weight.

David, quite an impressive performance! Congrats on the win over Mikael.

• Like 1

No worries Eric, I just enjoy the challenge of improving weak areas of my grip. Last time I competed in the Europinch was in 2006 when I pulled 88.5k but at a bodyweight of 85k. Conditions during that competition were good for pinch lifting so I regard my 85.3k in -74k as a much better result all things considered.

I might stop by in Finland next time I visit Sweden if they are holding a summer competition featuring the 1HP (I don't think my 83k WR will survive for much longer) and the axle deadlift (which I don't have a competition result in).

No worries Eric, I just enjoy the challenge of improving weak areas of my grip. Last time I competed in the Europinch was in 2006 when I pulled 88.5k but at a bodyweight of 85k. Conditions during that competition were good for pinch lifting so I regard my 85.3k in -74k as a much better result all things considered.

I might stop by in Finland next time I visit Sweden if they are holding a summer competition featuring the 1HP (I don't think my 83k WR will survive for much longer) and the axle deadlift (which I don't have a competition result in).

Not sure if we have competition with those events coming but if you decide to visit Finland, welcome!

Well the LGC competition has a long history of attracting some very large individuals (typically strongman oriented in their training) and this time was no exception.

In all fairness I regard Darrin Shallman is the current #1 overall on the Europinch in -74k as the 2HP is only one side of the coin. He is the highest ranked (combined) of those that have a result in both the 2HP and the 1HP.

Plenty of people would beat someone like Jon Vance with ease in the 2HP only to be beaten by a large margin in the 1HP. These days I strongly believe there are anatomical (but as yet unidentified) features preventing many (but notably not all) from reaching elite levels in both lifts.

But you needn't worry about me bumping up the record in your weight class anytime soon, Mikael, as I'm currently 218 and climbing.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Ok, I have the results for this contest entered and they should be live on the site now.

Congrats to all that competed,

Aaron

• Like 2