Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge Xix

Martin_Arildsson

Which/how many of the wrist tendons broke? I know there are quite a few controlling finger and wrist flexion. Some are more visible/palpable than others

I am guessing it was only one. It snapped really loudly (David Horne among others witnessed the drama unfold). If I do a medium-heavy wrist curl with my left hand a couple of the bones jump out of alignment. Essentially I 'fixed' it myself by resuming training a few days later. I remember it hurt a lot doing pinching movements and wrist curls were a no go zone. I just used as much weight as I could (initially less than 1/4 of my original strength in the pinch) and endured the pain. Slowly over about 4-5 months the pain subsided and the strength returned. Basically I ignored the pain and hoped for the best. I only went to one clueless GP who suggested taking some anti-inflammatory pills.

These days it only bothers me in the flexion/extension plane but not at all in eg pronation/supination.

The tendon that snapped was on the right half of the left wrist (looking at it with the palm facing down).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I see. A sup/pron event will be fine then. I've started to train this lift, going light doing reps of 10 with weights I feel I could do 15-20 with. Slowly build up durability and maybe do a couple max effort lifts in preparation for the comp. I'm using a sledgehammer at home and a lat-pulldown bar when I'm at the gym. Getting strange looks at the gym, but I'm used to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153115601241100&pnref=story

Said I would only use light weights... well, that lasted about two weeks before I wanted to know what I could do with some heavier weights. First time trying heavy supination today. Not super strict, but whatever. Posting this here to strike fear into the hearts of the poor competitors who dare step up against me in the wrist event!!! :happy or maybe not. Like Siversson said, it's hard to know what's "good" in this event. Just putting this up to get a reaction to gauge others opinion on how good, bad or mediocre it is.

Any chance of posting the video here (can't be bothered activating my dormant Facebook account for a single video)?

Any chance of posting the video here (can't be bothered activating my dormant Facebook account for a single video)?

What? I thought for sure you were an Instagramin' celcius drinking facebooker! :grin: Just kidding. I've uploaded it on Youtube my friend! It's a 6 lb hammer with a shorter handle. I think the total handle length is 27" and I'm grabbing it 1-2" from the end with my right hand and about 4-5" away with my left hand. Cheating just a tad with my right, cheating quite a bit with my left.

Haven't done any heavy work for the pronation. I strained my right wrist 3-4 weeks back with my right hand. And I can't quite do any heavy pronation with my right yet.

Also I'm wearing wrist sleeves(not wraps!) in this video to keep my wrists warm for injury prevention. I don't know if they perhaps add a little, maybe they do, maybe they don't.

BW around 82kg. Plan to be sub 80kg for the contest.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

They have now finalised the wrist event and will hopefully upload a video here for clarity.

Why are you planning on weighing below 80k if I may ask (given there is a weight class limit at 83k for the records list)? Are you aiming for the 74k class?

The date has been changed back to the original date, which is July 4.

The third event will be the LGC Rolling Handle.

The fourth event will be a test of wrist supination/pronation.

Here's a video (in Swedish):

More info will come soon. I'll hopefully get some time over this weekend.

• Like 2

The wrist event looks great! I originally fered that it would be a mess. Wrist events have a tendancy to end up looking like a mess. With that in mind I felt adding a new event testing a wrist movement that haven't been done as a single event before felt very risky to me. But with a setup like this it looks like it might work better than I originally feared. Any cheat grip, position shift, or bounce will be very obvious and easy for the judge to call. Good work Arne!

They have now finalised the wrist event and will hopefully upload a video here for clarity.

Why are you planning on weighing below 80k if I may ask (given there is a weight class limit at 83k for the records list)? Are you aiming for the 74k class?

I'm planning to hit below 80kg for other goals. It would also ensure that I comfortably hit sub 83k without having to worry about what I eat before the comp. I would love to compete against you in the 74kg class. But I don't think I could hit that weight. I am 188cm tall with a good portion of muscle mass(no legs though) so at 82-83k I am already fairly lean. Hitting 74kg would require more effort than I am willing to give.

• Like 1

I can maintain a weight below 74k only because I deliberately avoid all 'gym' lifts like squats, bench press, lats pulls etc. When I trained powerlifting 15 years ago I was around 95k and had to diet to get down to the 90k class.

The wrist event looks great! I originally fered that it would be a mess. Wrist events have a tendancy to end up looking like a mess. With that in mind I felt adding a new event testing a wrist movement that haven't been done as a single event before felt very risky to me. But with a setup like this it looks like it might work better than I originally feared. Any cheat grip, position shift, or bounce will be very obvious and easy for the judge to call. Good work Arne!

I'm planning to hit below 80kg for other goals. It would also ensure that I comfortably hit sub 83k without having to worry about what I eat before the comp. I would love to compete against you in the 74kg class. But I don't think I could hit that weight. I am 188cm tall with a good portion of muscle mass(no legs though) so at 82-83k I am already fairly lean. Hitting 74kg would require more effort than I am willing to give.

Thank you David! :)

I can maintain a weight below 74k only because I deliberately avoid all 'gym' lifts like squats, bench press, lats pulls etc. When I trained powerlifting 15 years ago I was around 95k and had to diet to get down to the 90k class.

Mikael... I think you forgot to mention your successful bodybuilding career in 1989... 1th place in -90 kg category... AND (of course) Overall Winner! :whistel:)

Edited by Arne

Well, I think you'll kick my ass in at least 3 out of the 4 events regardless of what weight class I'm in :) I'm not really at the level where I'll be competitive at any weight class. So I'm staying in a comfortable weight class that suits me and my other goals better.

Not so sure about that. None of my 'pet lifts' are featured in this comp (eg 1HP and vbar) and my thickbar numbers on the LGC handle are modest (may pull 62.5-65k both hands). My left hand is hit and miss in grippers and I don't expect more than 120-130lb with it and 140-150 for my right (training PR is 145 rated by CannonWorks). No idea about the supination/pronation implement relative to the rest of you.

Add to that some jet lag...

Well, I think you'll kick my ass in at least 3 out of the 4 events regardless of what weight class I'm in :) I'm not really at the level where I'll be competitive at any weight class. So I'm staying in a comfortable weight class that suits me and my other goals better.

Not so sure about that. None of my 'pet lifts' are featured in this comp (eg 1HP and vbar) and my thickbar numbers on the LGC handle are modest (may pull 62.5-65k both hands). My left hand is hit and miss in grippers and I don't expect more than 120-130lb with it and 140-150 for my right (training PR is 145 rated by CannonWorks). No idea about the supination/pronation implement relative to the rest of you.

Add to that some jet lag...

Sounds like we might be pretty close then. But I seem to remember you closing #3 grippers and above with either hand. Is it the wrist injury preventing you from closing the big grippers, or are you just not hitting them as hard as you used to?

I have closed an easy BBE in LGC competition with my left hand (probably around 150 if rated by CannonWorks) but that was with MM set and I trained grippers every day back then. Daily gripper training prevented me from reaching my potential in other events. My left hand needs daily training with grippers to stay strong and I simply can't force myself to train grippers that frequently.

My right hand training PR stated above refers to 20 mm block set. With a MM set I have closed a gripper in competition that was rated at 160lb but would probably have scored 156-157 if Matt Cannon had rated it. I feel you loose speed with grippers as you get older (I am 52).

Importantly I was around 80k back then. I have not dropped my weight to sub-74k to get stronger but to get more competitive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Would one of the moderators please update the first post with the information below?

Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge XIX

2015-07-04

General information: Important dates and times:

2015-04-13 - From this date until 2015-06-30 you can send your entry request to us, either via email, Facebook or by calling us.

You can contact Arne at arne_w_persson@hotmail.com or +46708182246.

Martin at martin.arildsson@gmail.com or +46705124699.

The contest will start at 11:00.

Weigh in will be between 9:30-11:00

Starting fee:

200 SEK.

Scoring system:

The best performance in the event is awarded 100 points. All other lifters’ performances are divided by the best performance and then multiplied by 100 for their score.

For example if Lifter A lifts 90 kg and this is the best lift in his/her division, he gets 100 points for his lift. If Lifter B lifts 87 kg, his score is figured like so: 100 X 87/90 = 96.667.

Weight Classes:

Men: 59k, 66k, 74k, 83k, 93k, 105k, 120k, 120k+

Women: 47k, 52k, 57k, 63k, 72k, 84k, 84k+

Master's: Age brackets 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+.

Miscellaneous:

Calibrated scales and weights will be used.

Only approved chalk may be used by the competitors.

No strapping of wrists, hands or arms is allowed (unless approved beforehand in light of injuries).

Lifting belts and knee supports are permitted.

The rising bar principle will be used with 4 attempts. Starting weights will be submitted by the competitors and the lowest starting weight will be used first. After this the second lowest weight will be used. If you fail at a weight you can not go down in weight for your next attempt. You can only request the same weight or a higher weight for your next attempt.

Both hands will be tested on the Hand Grippers, Rolling Handle and the Supination/Pronation leverage bar.

The smallest weight increment is 0,5 kg (0,25 kg for the wrist event).

The contest is limited to 12 contestants.

Events Hand Grippers

The gripper can be "set" with the off hand by pre-positioning the handles with the off-hand. The lifter must show a clear view of the Gripper handle, and pass a 20 mm block between the handles with the off hand. If the view is blocked by the lifter so the referee can’t view the attempt, the lifter’s attempt does not count and he/she can try again without losing their turn.

NOTE: Spring must be facing up. The gripper is to be closed until the handles are clearly touching. No contact can be made with the gripping hand or the gripping arm from the elbow down with the free hand once the close has begun. The entire set and close must be clearly visible to the referee. The close finishes on the referees signal. At no time should the judge touch the hand or forearm of the athlete making an attempt on the gripper.

List of availabe RGC rated grippers:

Martin’s

74 - CoC #1

83 - CoC #1.5

101 - CoC #2

125 - CoC #2.5

141 - CoC #3

146 - CoC #3

152 - CoC #3

156 MM1 Repl.

162 MM2 Repl.

175 - CoC #3.5

179 MM3 Repl.

180 - CoC #3.5

186 MM4 Repl.

190 MM5 Repl.

190 - CoC #3.5

196 MM6 Repl.

198 MM7 Repl.

198 BBSE

201 MM8 Repl.

208 - CoC #4

214 - CoC #4

Mikael’s

110 - CoC #2

124 - CoC #2.5

131 - CoC #2.5

137 - CoC #3

145 - CoC #3

149 - CoC #3

Two Handed Pinch Lift

Legal Lift Requirements: The athlete must lift the apparatus in a Double Overhand Pinch Grip and touch the loading bar to the cross-bar, which sits 42 cm (16.5 inches) high, measured to the bottom of the stick. The lifter does not have to be erect upon completion of the attempt.

The athlete's hands may not be separated by more than 7,62 cm (3 inches) between the index fingers during the lift.

Because this is a quick lift based on friction, there is no referee's down signal. The referee, however, must be ready to judge that the loading bar makes proper contact with with the cross bar during each attempt.

The lifter must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the stick before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

NOTE: The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different sized hands. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The competitor can choose to use 44, 54 or 64 mm on the pinch apparatus. We will not change the width from lift to lift, instead the same width will be used until all the lifters are done with the width of their choosing. The starting order will be decided on the day of the contest.

LGC Rolling Handle

The lifter grabs the Rolling Thunder handle in approximately its center and lifts with the handle remaining approximately parallel to the ground.

Knuckles must be facing forward, any outwards rotation of the hand will disqualify the lift.

A thumbless grip is not permitted.

Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift; and other than incidental contact, the hand or the handle must not touch the body before the lift is completed—dragging the hand or handle up the leg is cause for an immediate "No lift."

The lifter must fully straighten up (back erect, legs and hips locked out); once standing straight, the lifter must maintain control of the lift until getting a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. The off hand can be posted on the hip or leg or left out to the side during the lift.

Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the handle until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed or not. 

Wrist Supination/Pronation Levering

The bar is to be held at the far end, it must not stick out below the pinky finger.

The forearm is the placed on the surface with the palm facing down (pronated position), with the bar resting in horizontal position. From this position the competitor will start the lift by rotating the hand outwards (supination) under control until the palm is facing upwards and the bar is resting in horizontal position. After the referee has given a start command the competitor will rotate the bar back to it’s starting position under control.

NOTE: The forarm must be in touch with the surface during the lift. Excessive tilting backwards or forwards will disqualify the attempt

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have just got my old LGC competition grippers calibrated from Matt Cannon. :)

102 CoC#2 (2001)
112 CoC#2
126 PDA 359 (2001)
131 PDA 399 (2001)
146 CoC#3 (2001)
154 CoC#3
156 PDA 437 (2001)
169 BB Blank
187 BBSE
209 BBSE
226 CoC#4 (2001)
Edited by Arne

I have just got my old LGC competition grippers calibrated from Matt Cannon. :)

102 CoC#2 (2001)
112 CoC#2
126 PDA 359 (2001)
131 PDA 399 (2001)
146 CoC#3 (2001)
154 CoC#3
156 PDA 437 (2001)
169 BB Blank
187 BBSE
209 BBSE
226 CoC#4 (2001)

These are some brutal grippers :) I don't envy the contestants. Smooth, worn knurl and wide spreads. :pinch

But some classic old beauties in there!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the results:

1. Kalle Lane

2. Håkan Carlsson

3. Markus Eklund

4. David Wigren

5. Peter Karlsson

6. Mikael Siversson

7. Björn Ståhl

8. Hugo Karlsson

9. Oscar Bertrandsson

Detailed scoresheet:

Edited by Martin_Arildsson
  • Like 3

Hope to see a video soon!

Nice lifting, guys!

Mikael, how close did you get with your final pinch attempt?

• Like 1