Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

1. Negatives with choked #4: 18 singles

Nice! What distance is the #4 choked at? :cool

Thanks Mat! It's choked at 20 mm, so it's pretty close. My plan is to use that to help my close and BB Pro to work my sweep. Within few weeks I should know if that works, success or failure with Elite will tell.

Mat, I appreciate your feedback, as well as anyone's who goes through the trouble reading my log! :cool

3.8.2006: Gripper workout #2 of the week

1. Extended handle severe negatives with BB Pro:

15 singles

These took ages for me to do, I tried to do them so that I rest a bit longer between every five singles, I'm totally beaten up by those. But now, I got a full three days rest from grip training ahead and I should be ready to take the beating by Monday.

2. Dynamic thumb 3 sec. overcrushes:

15 singles

Cooldown with dexterity balls and that was it.

I hate you! :(

I suck with grippers. ARGH! :)

Great job.

Patience, buddy, patience... :rolleyes You'll get where you want eventually, just work hard!

7.8. 2006 Grippers: workout #1 of the week

1. Negatives with choked #4 alternated with 3 second overcrushes with filed #3: 20 singles

2. Two finger closes with #2 alternated with pinky and ring finger work with IMTUG #6: 8 singles

(I did these both with 3 second overcrushes)

Decided to add BTR overcrushes with filed #3 instead of doing just negatives.

Total amount 28 singles. Love hurts.

Edited by Teemu I

Short workout, I like it. When does one file a gripper? .. Yesterday I proved to myself that I can shut the #1 for almost 10 singles (not reps!) with my right hand... you think this is a good time to file some off of it? I can't close it left handed yet, I'm about 5-6mm short. (so I don't know if it's a good idea to file it yet, maybe I ought to get another #1.... I have a feeling this one is getting seasoned, although it's never been repped, just closed and attempted to be closed a lot).

7.8. 2006 Grippers: workout #1 of the week

1. Negatives with choked #4 alternated with 3 second overcrushes with filed #3: 20 singles

2. Two finger closes with #2 alternated with pinky and ring finger work with IMTUG #6: 8 singles

(I did these both with 3 second overcrushes)

Decided to add BTR overcrushes with filed #3 instead of doing just negatives.

Total amount 28 singles. Love hurts.

I think this is smart thinking, it allows you to work the last 1/8 to 1/4, something that negs alone rarely can accomplish. :rolleyes

• Like 1

Well that is a good point Paul. When I started to go by this plan, I left those BTR singles out because I was thinking that since sweep is my weakness I'll take care of that now. But since working them both within same workouts has worked for me before, why drop them out!

What you said is true especially now that fatique seems to cumulate allready and I've done only three hard gripper sessions so far. My plan is to continue like this (adding at least few singles each time) for at least three more weeks, or as long as it takes to push myself to the edge, slightly over, then back off and reap the harvest :)

Edited by Teemu I

Short workout, I like it. When does one file a gripper? .. Yesterday I proved to myself that I can shut the #1 for almost 10 singles (not reps!) with my right hand... you think this is a good time to file some off of it? I can't close it left handed yet, I'm about 5-6mm short. (so I don't know if it's a good idea to file it yet, maybe I ought to get another #1.... I have a feeling this one is getting seasoned, although it's never been repped, just closed and attempted to be closed a lot).

Short workout? Not. Those took ages for me to do, actually :) I try to rest enough between each single, at least three minutes, towards the end of the workout more, about five minutes. So 20 singles takes quite a while to do.

I suggest that you file down your #1 gripper right now, but just a little. My opinion is that the sooner you start to file down a gripper you can close, the better. You don't need another #1 at this point. Wasted money if you ask me, since you are now going to get ISG. Later on you'll end up buying several #3's anyway. :) It doesn't matter if you can't yet close that #1 with your left, you can allways force it closed with your other hand.

8.8.2006: Active recovery for grip

I've been training at home for some time now, but what I lack is barbell and plates. I've been working hard to gain core strength with sandbags and kettlebells so that I can hold my back together while doing heavy exercises. Now I think I've gone to a point where I can actually start doing deadlifts safely again, so I went to a public gym to do some deadlifts. That sure felt good, no problems whatsoever, so I'm going to start working with basic barbell compound lifts now. I really want to be stronger overall than I am now.

Reason I'm telling this is that it was kind of funny how deadlifts didn't tax my grip at all, but pinching even a 5 kg plate and putting it back to the plate rack hurt my hands :D

When I came home from the gym, I did finger extensions with IM rubber bands, dexterity ball rotations and very light thumb work with a small rubber ball. That was it for today.

Edited by Teemu I

Thanks man, I see you've been reading my log since you even remember I'm getting an ISG. I _should_ have it here tomorrow, but one never knows when things fly overseas :)

I should follow your advise and file down the #1.. I'll just feel a bit bad since I haven't closed it left handed yet, and it appears to have a long way actually (several weeks I guess), to close those 5 or 6 mm. Is there a tutorial on filing grippers? :P

Thanks man, I see you've been reading my log since you even remember I'm getting an ISG. I _should_ have it here tomorrow, but one never knows when things fly overseas :)

I should follow your advise and file down the #1.. I'll just feel a bit bad since I haven't closed it left handed yet, and it appears to have a long way actually (several weeks I guess), to close those 5 or 6 mm. Is there a tutorial on filing grippers? :P

Don't feel bad about it. My left hand is always way behind my right. Not a reason to neglect it, but what else can you do except train hard, so I don't worry about it.

9.8.2006: Grippers

Sometimes you just have to admit yourself, that your plan sucks and then change it. I've been thinking, reading, talking to Paul Doire, reading and thinking again and decided to change my workouts. It is not my sweep that stops me from closing Elite... :rolleyes

Now, it's going to be overcrushes with choked Elite, forced in if necessary, alternated with overcrushes with filed #3, forced in if necessary and severe negs with choked #4.

Later on, I'll start copying Paul Doire's way to keep log to really keep myself doing what I'm supposed to do, details help with that. :cool Today, I'm really not in the mood for details.

12 singles with right hand only. Left hand has no skin left.

Edited by Teemu I

13.8.2006: Grippers+dynamic thumb

Warmup with dexterity balls

#2 2x1 Violent closures

BBE choked at 15 mm

R: Closed, 3s OC

L: Missed by 2 mm, Forced in

BBE choked at 17 mm

R: Closed, 3 s OC

L: Missed by 2 mm, Forced in

BBE choked at 20 mm

R: Missed by 1 mm, Forced in

L: Missed by 3 mm. Forced in

L: missed by 4 mm, Forced in

L: Missed by 5 mm, Forced in

BTR OC #3, 5 sec (forced in with left)

NC #4, 5sec

BTR #3, Forced in and held for 5 sec

NC #4, 5sec

Total amount 12 singles, felt quite good today.

Dynamic thumb with modified pony clamb (with two rubber bands):

8x1 (5 sec OC's)

15.8.2006: Grippers+dynamic thumb

Warmup with dexterity balls

#2 2x1 Violent closures

BBE choked at 20 mm

R: Closed, 3s OC

L: Missed by a mile, Forced in

L: Missed by 5 mm, Forced in

L: Missed by 4 mm, Forced in

BBE Choked at 25 mm

L: Missed by 7 mm, Forced in

L: Missed by 8 mm, Forced in

BTR OC #3, 5 sec (forced in with left)

NC #4, 5sec

NC #4, 5sec

Total amount 12 singles, right hand felt a lot stronger than last time.

Dynamic thumb with modified pony clamb (with four rubber bands):

8x1 (5 sec OC's)

Nice training regiment Teemu. Look forward to your progress!!

Nice training regiment Teemu. Look forward to your progress!!

Thanks Paul, I'm positive I will nail Elite with this program!

What do you use to choke your gripper?

I use just a regular hose clamp tightened around the handles.

I thought about that, but I'm scared of losing an eye....

I thought about that, but I'm scared of losing an eye....

Well I don't blame you for that.. hose clamps are pretty sturdy here, like everything. Things are built to last here :cool

You could make one (or several, if you want variation) out of wood instead. Take a small piece of board, drill a couple of holes and saw of the rest. I think you can see some pictures af that kind of chokers in some galleries, I just don't remember where I saw one.

Edited by Teemu I