Road To Crushing The Blob And Pinching The No.3

Anthony C.

Anthony, do you have a BW strict press? I ask because those are some impressive DB presses, and I think I read that you weight around 170lbs?

Thanks for the compliment, brother. Yep, I'm at 167 now heading down to compete in the 74kg class. I train with no spotter so it's difficult to max on db presses because the first rep is so difficult. I believe my all time PR for overhead db presses is something like 6x85. I would certainly try the 90s if I had someone that knew how to help me break the first rep, and then walk away from me. But everyone thinks a spot means, help me with every rep lol.

On db flat bench press my all time PR is 2x110s. I don't do barbell bench because it is like putting my rotator cuff through a meat grinder

Anthony, do you have a BW strict press? I ask because those are some impressive DB presses, and I think I read that you weight around 170lbs?

Thanks for the compliment, brother. Yep, I'm at 167 now heading down to compete in the 74kg class. I train with no spotter so it's difficult to max on db presses because the first rep is so difficult. I believe my all time PR for overhead db presses is something like 6x85. I would certainly try the 90s if I had someone that knew how to help me break the first rep, and then walk away from me. But everyone thinks a spot means, help me with every rep lol.

Damn bro, thats some strong pressing! A BW strict press(DB/Barbell, seated/standing, doesn't matter) is a big fantasy of mine(can't really call it a goal yet lol) and anyone who can do that is hella strong (and among the untrained might as well be Hercules).

I don't do barbell bench because it is like putting my rotator cuff through a meat grinder

But man I could have gone my whole life without that image in my head….

Damn bro, thats some strong pressing! A BW strict press(DB/Barbell, seated/standing, doesn't matter) is a big fantasy of mine(can't really call it a goal yet lol) and anyone who can do that is hella strong (and among the untrained might as well be Hercules).

I don't do barbell bench because it is like putting my rotator cuff through a meat grinder

But man I could have gone my whole life without that image in my head….

You'll get it one day, bro. And especially at the rate that which you're getting stronger. You're right, an overhead bodyweight press means you're packing some strong shoulders. I think it's most impressive if it can be done standing, with a barbell, ala Military press. I definitely don't think I can do 170 in that style but I may be able to manage 155-160. Hmm, got me thinking now lol.

Grip today:

Grippers: Didn't log because I was jumping all over the place. I tried the 3 twice again. On the first attempt, I THINK i closed it. But my awareness of the camera was horrible and I couldn't make it out. Therefore, I'm not calling it a close. I'll celebrate when the proof is in front of me and I'm looking at a still shot of the gripper closed in my hand. I did a bunch of Trex with extended handle. I absolutely have to start working on my off hand setting strength as it is just tanking rapidly.

2HP wooden block: 12x107.5, 1x130, 1x135, 8x115

All PR's

Hub:

Right 1x47, 1x47, 12x37

Left: Miss 47, 2x42, 11x37

Sidewinder Xtreme Heavy setting low reps multiple sets

Great piece of equipment. Sorry I didn't buy this sooner!

• Like 1

Grip today:

Grippers: Didn't log because I was jumping all over the place. I tried the 3 twice again. On the first attempt, I THINK i closed it. But my awareness of the camera was horrible and I couldn't make it out. Therefore, I'm not calling it a close. I'll celebrate when the proof is in front of me and I'm looking at a still shot of the gripper closed in my hand. I did a bunch of Trex with extended handle. I absolutely have to start working on my off hand setting strength as it is just tanking rapidly.

All PR's

Hub:

Right 1x47, 1x47, 12x37

Loving the PRs man, keep them coming.. Out of curiosity I checked the beginning of this log to see where you started and you hadn't even mastered the 2... Not even a year ago. Now you are weeks, maybe even days from grinding a 3 shut. Congrats and hats off to you man. You're making great progress and your pinch and thickbar are coming along too. Keep it balanced, and you will go far!

• Like 2

Grip today:

All PR's

Hub:

Right 1x47, 1x47, 12x37

Loving the PRs man, keep them coming.. Out of curiosity I checked the beginning of this log to see where you started and you hadn't even mastered the 2... Not even a year ago. Now you are weeks, maybe even days from grinding a 3 shut. Congrats and hats off to you man. You're making great progress and your pinch and thickbar are coming along too. Keep it balanced, and you will go far!

Thanks Jon! Yep, I remember that the 2 took me a while to get. When I first started this log I was only doing grippers and nothing else for grip lol. My hope is that one day I'll be one of the strong grip players, and I'll have this log to channel all my progress from the very beginning. And I wouldn't be making gains without the help of all you guys who visit and comment. Thank you!

First full body workout after week off today:

Squats, no belt

15x185 15x185 15x185

Static holds barbell

2 holds with 315

Standing barbell military press

3x155, 6x135

V attachment pulldowns

8x200 8x200 8x180

Incline hammerstrength press

8x100 8x110 5x120

Standing dumbbell hammer curls

3x50 3x50 7x45

Cable pushdowns

15x80 15x80

Wrist thingy pronation/supination 2 sets each with 35 pounds

Decent enough workout for having trained early and first one back. My back has been feeling really good this week so I decided to try to keep it that way and go easy on the squats. Huge quad pump today. Would've liked to have done dumbbell bench press, but the gym is putting new covers on all the portable benches so I had to go with the hammerstrength.

• Like 1

Today's lifting

DO sumo deadlift

1x300 1x300 1x300 1x300 1x310

Iron bull 2.0 deads

10x185 10x185

Dumbbell incline bench press

6x95 8x85

Pull ups

15 20

Incline bench lying dumbbell laterals

15x20 15x20 12x20

Incline bench dumbbell extensions

10x35 8x35

Dumbbell preacher curls

2x40 2x40 2x40 12/15x30

Anvil trainer

Right 8x130 1x150 1x157.5

Left 4x130 1x140 1x140

Block weight deadlifts 35lb

Right 9 reps, 7 second hold

Left 8 reps, 7 second hold

Awesome session. Pr's all around. Deadlifts felt light. Back has been good lately and I'm gonna keep easing into extra weight.

• Like 3

Nice work, Anthony! I also look forward to seeing your first #3 close video. It is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. Strong work on the Anvil Trainer too! Is that the Delmar Carter version? I don't remember if I had already asked you this question.

• Like 1

Nice work, Anthony! I also look forward to seeing your first #3 close video. It is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. Strong work on the Anvil Trainer too! Is that the Delmar Carter version? I don't remember if I had already asked you this question.

Thanks Ben! I'm gonna do some rep work with grippers next workout, and then following workout attempt the 3 again. I can't wait to close it, it's been my primary goal for over a year now!

The anvil is made by Chris rice and is slightly more narrow than the lbh. Great piece of equipment.

Today's training:

Grippers

Right: 1x2.5 130 20mm block set, 1x2.5 130 20mm block set, 4x2.5 125 MMS, 2xBBM 118 1'' block set

Left: 1x2 wide set, 3x2 wide set, 5x2 wide set, 1 hold with coc 2

Hub:

Right 1x52, Miss 53.25, 3x47, 4x42

Left Miss 49.5, 5x42, 3x43.25, 4x42

Plate Pinches (with pipe through holes)

Right: 4x4 tens +10, 8x4 tens +10, 2x4 tens + 16.25

Left 2x4 tens +10, 3x4 tens +10, 1x4 tens +16.25

Sledge Levers

All 4 directions with 8lb hammer, at assorted sizes of 12-14 inches out

Pretty good session today. I didn't go balls to the wall on grippers because I've felt burned out on them. Setting in my left hand felt much better today, although it was with a much lighter gripper. So we'll see how that goes. I'm cutting weight for the king kong and know from the past that my gripper strength suffers when doing so. Fortunately, pinch and thick bar keep improving. Got a nice hub PR today. I lifted 5 pounds over my PR at the contest using Manna the Manna's hub, so I'm hoping I can continue that trend. If I can break 60 at the KK, I'd be super happy about that. Also, got some good PR's on plate pinches and levers.

• Like 1

Yesterday's training:

Leg press

15x823 15x913 15x1003

Seated overhead dumbbell press

5x85 8x75

Tbar row

6x170 6x170 8x170 last set supersetted with 10 hammer grip pull ups

Incline hammer strength press

8x100 7x120 3x125 per side

Seated dumbbell curls

5x45 4x45 7x40

Cable pushdown

15x90 8x100 10x90

Good session. Going to train grip with john manna tomorrow, and we'll go through the events for king Kong to see where we currently stand.

Yesterday's training:

Leg press

15x823 15x913 15x1003

Seated overhead dumbbell press

5x85 8x75

Tbar row

6x170 6x170 8x170 last set supersetted with 10 hammer grip pull ups

Incline hammer strength press

8x100 7x120 3x125 per side

Seated dumbbell curls

5x45 4x45 7x40

Cable pushdown

15x90 8x100 10x90

Good session. Going to train grip with john manna tomorrow, and we'll go through the events for king Kong to see where we currently stand.

always good to train with another dedicated grip guy.. when two people push each other ya progress much faster!

• Like 1

Worked out with John Manna today in his home gym...great set up he has there. We did a little bit of everything grip and bending related. I just missed a 3 attempt again, got about 67 on 1hp, and 125 on 1 hand axle. This was my first time training those particular apparatus's (apparatii?) I also sucked on the hub and big horn today, hands were just not recovered from the last time I trained. BUT it was a great time. Got some pointers on bending, and I want to pursue the red nail after the king kong. All in all I confirmed what I already know....I suck in grip and need to improve lol.

• Like 1

Worked out with John Manna today in his home gym...great set up he has there. We did a little bit of everything grip and bending related. I just missed a 3 attempt again, got about 67 on 1hp, and 125 on 1 hand axle. This was my first time training those particular apparatus's (apparatii?) I also sucked on the hub and big horn today, hands were just not recovered from the last time I trained. BUT it was a great time. Got some pointers on bending, and I want to pursue the red nail after the king kong. All in all I confirmed what I already know....I suck in grip and need to improve lol.

Do you even bend bro?

On mobile right now so can't really check past logs, but have you done any bending prior?

Do you even bend bro?

On mobile right now so can't really check past logs, but have you done any bending prior?

Hahaha no, not really. I bent a bunch of greens a few months ago. Manna kinked a yellow for me today and then I bent that, but I'm gonna have to work on flexibility in my shoulders. I need one of those awesome certificates hanging on the wall in my apartment

• Like 1

Don't get discouraged man. Working out with fellow enthusiasts will excelerate your progress. My numbers were depressing when I started.. It wasn't that long ago - success will creep up on you if you pay your dues and stick to the basics.

• Like 2

if you ever want to plan training sessions. I can usually find some time on the weekends.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the kind words! I'm gonna just keep powering through and staying consistent. If at the Kong Kong I can pull 70 on the euro and 135 on axle, I would be very satisfied.

And absolutely chez, that'd be awesome bro

Today:

Squats, no belt:

4 sets 10 reps, 225lbs

Seated barbell overhead press

10x115 9x115

Machine row:

12x115, 8x140 8x140 per side

Dumbbell flat bench press

11x85, 8x85

Close grip incline bench

3 sets 5x135

Close grip chin ups

15, 15

Eh. Felt flat and lethargic today. My back and wrists were sore so I phoned it in on some exercises.

• Like 2

Good workout today

Good workout today

Thanks, parris. Wasn't one of my better ones though but I'll take it :)

Today's training:

Iron Bull 2.0 Sumo Deads

185, 225, 245, 265, 2x275, 4x245

Dumbbell incline bench press

7x95, 9x85, 7x85

Pull ups

5xbw+50, 4xbw+50, 10xbw+25, 5xbw+25 with iron bull 2's

Lying leg curls

10x110, 8x110, 8x110

Facedown incline bench dumbbell laterals

8x25, 8x25, 15x20

Incline bench dumbbell extensions

10x35, 8x35, 10x30

Dumbbell preacher curls

8x35, 8x35, 6x35

Now, that's a workout I can sink my teeth into! Huge PR's on the thick grip deads. Now that i've gotten my hands on an axle, i'm confident that the iron bull 2.0's are the closest thing in diameter. I've never gone over 225 with any thick bar adapter. Today I pulled 225 and in my head I was like, "can I get 275 without dropping it and looking like an assclown?" Two nice reps. Everything else weight-wise was good. Current bw is down to 165.2, so I'm very close to making the 74kg class for KK.

• Like 3