One Arm Chinning Pains...

Solid_Snorlax

Just how helpful are one arm chins to an armwrestler? I have been able to pull a few on both arms for a while now, but all they give me a sore biceps. Should I give up on them in favor of weighted pull ups?

you could do both.. cut back a little bit on volume if your elbows are playing up. you could invest in a good elbow sleeve to keep the elbow joints warm.

ive just bought some Super Cissus.. good joint supp.

• Like 1

You could do something like this:

week1: one single everyday

week2: two singles everyday

week3: three singles everyday

week4:4 singles everyday

week5: one single everyday

[repeat and continue to add volume according to what you can handle]

• Like 1

Elbow sleeve. Hmmm Intresting. I will look into it. Do you find they help much?

I think it helps by keeping the elbow warm during training. but backing off a little is still necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Just how helpful are one arm chins to an armwrestler? I have been able to pull a few on both arms for a while now, but all they give me a sore biceps. Should I give up on them in favor of weighted pull ups?

IMHO if you can do at least 3 reps with one arm you have an edge on the competition. I am lover of the weighted pull-ups but if I was competing in arm wrestling, one-arm pulls would be a goal of mine. I would start with static holds meaning pull yourself up with both arms and then hold with one for 10-seconds and switch and then rest and so on. That is my initial thought for an approach to it.

IMHO if you can do at least 3 reps with one arm you have an edge on the competition. I am lover of the weighted pull-ups but if I was competing in arm wrestling, one-arm pulls would be a goal of mine. I would start with static holds meaning pull yourself up with both arms and then hold with one for 10-seconds and switch and then rest and so on. That is my initial thought for an approach to it.

I think that it's a bad idea to build one area in this feat and neglect others (ex: strongest in the middle but weaker in the top and bottom). Training isometrically for these is the only time that I've ever aggravated my elbow after a year of specializing in tendon strengthening exercises. A better idea would be to train with multiple methods + prehab + deloading... training for the one arm chin has been described as hell on the elbows by better men than myself.

• 1 month later...

Strengthen your obliques. A lot of the strain I used to get in my biceps from this training was due to my body swinging to the side. When I was able to stabilize better using core strength, I did not get the strain in my biceps or shoulders.

Elbow sleeve. Hmmm Intresting. I will look into it. Do you find they help much?

If you have winter socks that would do also, the point is making it warm and supplying more blood circulation to that area and not just for during training session, also cooling down has some importance so wearing them some time after training also good idea.

Should I give up on them

Never ever give up. Just prolong your rest period and wait it to be more stronger.

Should I give up on them?

Have you considered starting with very low volume singles. Something like Week1: 1 single per day, Week 2: 2 singles per day, Week 3: 3 singles per day; adding a single per day for each week and if you feel beat up start the cycle over? A little bit everyday can really add up to big things.