Lessons Learned

Bill Piche

Rest, rest and more rest. It's amazing how good you can feel after just a couple of days off.

DONT UNDERTRAIN!! Some are so afraid of overtraining that they just dont do enough.

When you just cant anymore and the pain is unbearable, thats when you do a few more.

Very few have ever even come close to their limits you would be amazed of what you can do.

Dont compare yourself to others, their limits are not your limits you might be able to do more.

I remember training exercises in the army. We were in the bush for months working like animals. Very little sleep, freezing, wet and eating ration packs. Lifting bridge parts all day. After 2 weeks we were drained, impossible to go on, begging for an injury so we could rest, it was freakin crazy. Well, guess what, we were still there 6 weeks later working as hard and suffering as much. Awsome experience you really shut down all thoughts and focus on survival.

Youre mind is sometimes the one that you must strengthen youre mind is often the true obstacle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Heavy sets Low reps = much strength

• 7 months later...

I expected beginner's gains to carry me to crazy, ridiculous grippers. I used to believe that the tougher grippers were closeable, but many people just rested on their laurels with the #4 and had no motivation to go after the bigger ones. I remember my early newbie claims in 2005 that I'd mash shut the Galaxy someday. One thing I learned is that once you get beyond the #2, the mountain gets a lot steeper than the poudnages on Ironmind's grippers will indicate. I used to claim that any gripper was closeable, but now I believe that at the very most, the World Class is the biggest that anyone could ever humanly close someday, and even that may be a stretch, the limit may be the Pro. The World Class and Galaxy I now consider "chest crushers", meaning they'll probably only ever be closed chest crush style and the Super Galaxy and Universe are just fancy paperweights, although a Super Galaxy chest crush MAY be possible, but still very doubtful.

Edited by MVillani1985

I expected beginner's gains to carry me to crazy, ridiculous grippers. I used to believe that the tougher grippers were closeable, but many people just rested on their laurels with the #4 and had no motivation to go after the bigger ones. I remember my early newbie claims in 2005 that I'd mash shut the Galaxy someday. One thing I learned is that once you get beyond the #2, the mountain gets a lot steeper than the poudnages on Ironmind's grippers will indicate. I used to claim that any gripper was closeable, but now I believe that at the very most, the World Class is the biggest that anyone could ever humanly close someday, and even that may be a stretch, the limit may be the Pro. The World Class and Galaxy I now consider "chest crushers", meaning they'll probably only ever be closed chest crush style and the Super Galaxy and Universe are just fancy paperweights, although a Super Galaxy chest crush MAY be possible, but still very doubtful.

I kinda agree but with a little reserve...people used to laugh at the idea of a 1000lb deadlift even not too long ago. Bob peoples had the world record at 700 something pounds and now we have guys like poundstone lifting 800 for 9 reps...The thing is, grip strength training is still somewhat unconventional, we have not really developed it enough to be able to project now how far we can reach in terms of human potential.

• 3 months later...

If you have a question about something look it up first by performing a search in old threads using key words in the search engine. Chances are somebody asked that question before and sometimes several threads were made on the subject. In some cases that question sparked up a whole contoversial debate like wraps and bending.

• 3 weeks later...

For beginners like me.

When your grippers arrive do not be to excited and train with them to hard.

I got mine last Monday the 12th and 6 days later and my hands are just starting to recover...I can't wait to use them again though! :D

Hit the head of the spike, not the tip of your finger.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone new to hand/grip training and don't use their hands a great deal in their work, be careful with heavy negatives on grippers in the early days - you can strain ligaments or damage tissue in your hands and that can keep you out for a little while.

Learn as much as you can from Gripboard and its members - Build a solid foundation and at first approach your training as progressive not aggressive, or you may be sorry.

Edited by Sir Gripalot

• 9 months later...

Be slow to build volume with grippers, even if you're doing singles. Remember they are almost near max efforts and without a doubt (unless you're closing a #4) that each gripper is well over a 75% 1RM.

• 3 months later...

If you train hard, you must rest hard. ALL gains come from rest and recovery.

Most people undertrain, explaining why they don't set WR's in grip. I train grip 9 hours/week by the way but I would do better if I did more.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That the greatest joy in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Never overwork yourself because more isn't always better!

• Like 1

That the greatest joy in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

I like that too

• 2 weeks later...

• squats should be the cornerstone of your training.
  • there will be pain; work through it. BUT--
  • if nausea accompanies the pain, go see a doctor.
  • don't start bending until you've been doing grip training for a while. like a year+ (learned that one the hard way)
  • don't just focus on grippers, do a wide variety of exercises. everything boosts everything else.
  • take care of the skin on your hands--knurling will tear it off eventually.

Edited by jmatney

• 2 weeks later...

"The hands follow different rules training wise than the body at times, remember that" Be open, listen, and experiment to find what works just right for you

Like any strength training endeavor, without dedication and discipline, you won't reach your potential.

Dedication, discipline and determination!! The 3 "D's"!! :bow

Don't forget the 4th D - DESIRE

Without it you'll find the find the other 3 hard to maintain.

It's one thing to set goals, but it's entirely something else to have and operate with the desire to make them a reality. Joe Kinney comes to mind as a good example. . . .

Desire is the fuel that keeps you going when you would otherwise quit, make excuses, or stray.

I think determination implies desire is there too. If you're determined to do something, there has to be a reason for you to pursue it in the first place. If you choose to pursue something, that means you want it for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...

"Dont just train train train without rest just because you feel like it" Respect the body and rest every now and then. "Your Strength maybe even greater than you thought"

• 2 months later...

Train smart.. This doesn't necessarily mean train until you drop. Listen to your body. It knows when enough is enough for the day

My 2nd tip;

Getting your technique right can be the difference between getting that extra rep in or not, whether you're dead lifting, squatting, bench repressing or shutting that goal gripper. Getting the form right is way more important than lifting that heavy ass weight up.