2x12 @ IM1 (84)

1x7 @ FBBM (102)

1x4 @ GHP5 (114)

1x2 @ BBSM (122)

2xF @ IM3 (150)

TSG Neg: 1x1 @ MM4 (184)

V2: 6x4 @ Level 12 <-- this was tough

TSG OC: 3x1 @ BBSM (122)

Got laid off today, feels realy weird. Haven't been working full time/schooling part time or vice versa since the mid-90's.

5.14.13 CUBE W4 DL Reps

Deadlift: 2x3 @ 295

Snatch Grip DL off 2" Blocks: 3x10 @ 200

Shut it down here. Haven't lifted in a week--the pre-layoff stuff that was happening was a lot more intense than I prepared for, so I'm thinking of last week as a deload week. Gonna build back this week and go full bore next week.

Also the 2" SGDL's were impossible. Almost fell over after walking away from the bar after the last set. I've been doing them off 4" blocks as prescribed--what a difference 2" make.

Sorry to hear about the job hopefully you can take the energy towards your workouts before the move. JT is an absolute monster in grip and bending that looked easy for him. Have you tried a 20lb sledge lever not full but at different lengths from your face maybe using a bar to block it like from the squat rack? Not sure how to do it but kind of working the motion with the heavier sledge but not full motion kind of like doing block pulls to help with deadlift.

TSG: 3x30 @ IMS (42)

2x12 @ IM1 (84)

1x7 @ FBBM (102)

1x4 @ GHP5 (114)

1x1 @ GHP6 (138)

V2: 8x5 @ Level 11

2xF @ Level 15

Closed my GHP6 which ties an all time PR, and did it fairly easily. Last and only other time I closed that was a full on, true max effort in a comp so my strength is good right now, especially my setting strength which is probably better than it's ever been.

Cut the negatives and OC's as I hurt my finger on the second of two botched sets attempting the level 15. First one was surprisingly easy but the handle slipped in my palm right before parellel. The other was a total misgroove but I stuck with it and my setting finger was screaming after. This was probably my last time doing heavy attempts before going for MM0 next week.

Sorry to hear about the job hopefully you can take the energy towards your workouts before the move. JT is an absolute monster in grip and bending that looked easy for him. Have you tried a 20lb sledge lever not full but at different lengths from your face maybe using a bar to block it like from the squat rack? Not sure how to do it but kind of working the motion with the heavier sledge but not full motion kind of like doing block pulls to help with deadlift.

Thanks man. Girlfriend is away for 8 of the next 9 days too so gonna get some good training in. JT really is a phenom. Honestly that was on par with Rex's documented 20lb attempts if not easier imo.

I've never tried that but that's probably a good way to do it. I do something similar though where I'll do full levers from various lengths away from the head. Training for the 12 and 16 that's all I did: start 12" or so up from the bottom and work down an inch every training session. The only work I've ever done with a 20 is just holding it at the bottom at arms length to acclimate to the weight. Scale weight on mine is 23.4 I think and it's frightening how heavy it is. After I get to NY my focus for basically the rest of the year will be on nailing a 20lb face lever and/or 10lb hammer deadlift so if I can get it set up right i'll definitely try what you mentioned.

5.18.13 - CUBE W4 BP Heavy

Bench (w/pause 1-2" from chest): 3x2 @ 205

Bench (w/slingshot): 1x2 @ 215

1x2 @ 225

1x1 @ 245

1x1 @ 265

1x1 @ 285

3-Board Bench: 3x12 @ 185

PM

Vulcan V2: 7x4 @ Level 12

Slignshot will take some getting used to. My relatively broad chest and super t-rex arms make this thing have a huge benefit. I couldn't even get 215 and 225 (i.e. almost 90% of my all time max) down to my chest. I was totally relaxed and the bar was just hovering 2" above my chest, lol. That was what Brandon has advised to do (a 5% and 10% jump on ME days), but it was so ridiculously easy I kept going doing singles, all of which were almost equally easy. I stopped at 285 because I felt my left elbow float out of position with the bar on my chest and didn't want to go too heavy without being comfortable with it. Regardless, as easy as these reps were, my pecs, shoulders and tris were screaming about 5 minutes later.

Thats some big weight regardless of slingshot

I actually thought about getting one exactly for high volume to overload to triceps and still get a good upper body workout with stressing the pecs/shoulder as much. One thing never liked with high volume benching is always feel like I'm going to tweak something so this might help with that especially to use on days you are not feeling really strong where you might hurt yourself easier. I've heard the learning curve does take some work though but once you figure it out and have a decent spotter you could probably put up some big weight with it.

V2: 4x3, 2x2 @ Level 13

I've only attempted level 13 one other time and it was ~95% for a single (all time PR is level 14) so this is definite progress, though I didn't use a block set as I have been for this entire cycle, these were all MMS sets. This was the last gripper work before attempting MM0. Crush feels good and set has been real good last few weeks, but not tonite. Training's gone a bit off the rails and I've dropped 10lbs bodyweight in the last two weeks so who knows what will happen.

Everything that's going on is taking its toll: layoff, trip planning, etc. etc. plus I took my dog in to have a tumor removed today and backed into a car with my three day old pickup on my way out... not the best couple weeks. I think I might finish weeks 4-7 of the cube and then do some singles or just put things in maintenance mode and do some sets of 5 2 or 3 times a week until I leave. Life happens to everyone so maybe this is the best time for dropping intensity a bit.

• 1 month later...

Been two months to the day since I last trained. I totally underestimated how much getting our whole life across country would take. But we are now in NY and have been for a few weeks. Did the trip from CA to NY in 10 days, with two, 2-day stops. We didn't have a single mechanical issue (or even any hints of an issue), took one wrong turn once and otherwise didn't get lost at all, and I averaged 22.0 mpg over 3600 miles driving a 2012 F150 with a GVWR of 7200 that hit the scale the morning of our departure at just under 8500lbs and drove incredibly smooth. Best money I ever spent on that. By late August, I will have driven 8000 miles in 3 months though so as glad I am that it held up the way it did, I'm really looking forward to toning things down a lot.

Start a new job a week from today on the 29th. The benefits are numerous and outstanding, a gym membership is free, and I'm an hour from Devon Larratt's place. I have several weddings to travel for in the coming months, but once it slows down, I plan on getting some table time in as often as I can and of course to get back under the bar as soon as I move up there (it's in NY's "north country"--pretty remote). I'm going to be homeless for two weeks (another benefit of having a huge truck--you can live out of it), but what has turned into a very active summer is starting to slow down.

Some pics (of many) since May.

Only training I've done in 2 months (6lb maul), note the AZ Cactus Grip Shirt):

2cgc4dc.jpg

The duke looking over us (bachelor party) on the range in NE PA last weekend:

2exv4f5.jpg

Some boat time from before leaving CA (note the way the boat is tilting, lol):

2ugj5ah.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Things are starting to settle down a bit. Im in a wedding next week and my sister gets married a few weeks after that, both of which require some travel, but for all intents and purposes the worst of the move is over. Time to get back at it.

Did some light hammer work today for about 30 minutes. Wrist/hammers and thick bar are going to be my focus indefinitely. Grippers and other feats are great goals but they dont really increase my overall hand strength but thats what I need right now, in light of the long layoff and slowed progress overall. When there's a comp ill train events about 6 weeks out, otherwise the focus is on just getting stronger.

Theres a "rogue fitness" gym--whatever that is--a mile from my house that ill probably join if they let me just come in and lift and not take classes. Ive been talking with Eric Roussin and I want to get to ottowa and start AW training asap which im super pumped about.

Job is 10000x better than my old one with substantially higher pay and significant opportunities for advancement and long term development. Things are looking good at the moment!

• Like 1

great to hear things are going great bro! good luck with your goals and fun times on the east coast. it was great knowing you out here. you were also a huge help in getting grip comps going in NorCal.

Thanks dude, it was great knowing and training with you out there too. I learned a ton from you man. The bay area will be a great spot for grip as long as youre there. Hows the training going?

I checked out the gym today and its absolutely incredible. Short of it being a dedicated powerlifting facility, its literally perfect for what I want.

Huge, totally grungy space with nothing but racks, platforms, bars and weights. Its key access so I can go whenever I want and do whatever I want--I was kind of expecting it to be full of classes you needed to take but there is none of that.

There seem to be a lot of experienced lifters there--though it seems mostly Olympic lifters--and the owner has a significant background in jiu jitsu so I may even do some rolling now and then. All for 30 bucks a month too, lol.

Big weekend coming up then back on the horse next week.

Nice gym! Sounds like gold!

Training is going good. I'm not going as hard as in the past. There just isn't time for too many goals at once. I've gotten back to bending because I really want to get the Battlebar goal I had back in January. Pretty much most I do is for that.

• 2 weeks later...

First armwrestling training last night at Eric Roussin's place. Thanks to him and to Jeff for getting me started. It was an awesome time and I can't wait to get going.

The drive wasn't bad, ~3:15 round trip and the roads were totally clear the entire way which made it really easy. It was just the three of us so they showed me basic grip positioning, went over the rules and top rolling. Apparenlty my left hand did better and felt stronger than my right which was surprising.

Woke up this morning and had no soreness in my hands, forearms or biceps though the "rear" of both my shoulders are a little sore. Devon is having a bigger practice on Monday and I might go to that.

Thanks again to Eric and Jeff for helping out and hosting and I'm really looking forward to making progress and learning more.

• Like 1

Nice gym! Sounds like gold!

Training is going good. I'm not going as hard as in the past. There just isn't time for too many goals at once. I've gotten back to bending because I really want to get the Battlebar goal I had back in January. Pretty much most I do is for that.

Jeez dude Battlebar--that's insane. Looking in your log it looks like you're getting close. That's a huge accomplishment .