Pat's Training Log

patrickmeniru

Football training today, bleep test followed by indoor football games. Managed level 14 on the test, possibly could have got 15 but didn't feel up for the pain! Will max out next time i feel good and we do it as a team, hopefully get well into the 15s.

Gym:

500m rowing machine

1 x 6 muscle ups

2 x 20 dips

2 x 10 pull-ups

4 x 10 chin-ups

1 x 30 dips

3 x 10 push-ups

1 x 6 handstand pushups

2 x 8 front raises 8kg

5 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists with 8kg)

1 x 10 leg raises

2 x 10 ab-wheel rollouts from kneeling

Grippers:

1 x 2 #1

1 x 2 #2

2 x 2 #2.5 right hand, wide MMS

2 x 1 #2.5 left hand MMS, PR! finally got the set sorted and ground out a slow, hard close, very happy! not sure if the second rep was quite closed but giving myself the benefit of the doubt.

1 x 25 #2.5 clicks right hand

1 x #2.5 forced close and 6 second hold left hand

1 x 10 CCS singles #2 explosive as possible, 28 second hold on last rep right hand, 20 second hold left hand.

1 x 10 store gripper, attempt to ease soreness from #2 holds!

1 x 4 inverted #1 closes, left hand still stronger at these, strange.

Some pinch work with my spring clamp and rubber bands, levering with the sledge, wrist roller and extensor work to finish. Pleased with the workout.

Edited by patrickmeniru

Very light day today, no football training, managed to squeeze in a VERY brief, light gym session:

Bench, first time in months: 2 x 6 75kg, felt a little shaky although not weak, haven't done the motion in a long while.

Handstand practice, several attempts, none longer than 10 seconds.

Shoulder shrugs: 1 x 10 100kg

Barbell rows: 1 x 8 65kg

Rowing machine: 2.5km in exactly 10mins

1 x 30 pushups

A few ab-exercises, nothing worth recording.

Football training today, pretty light work. Also managed to fit in a much needed stretching session before bed, upper and lower body, particularly wrists, as i've been neglecting wrist and forearm flexibility since getting into levering and forearm work, which has been hurting my efforts to master the handstand and tuck planche.

Edited by patrickmeniru

Yesterday was a rest day! First time i have done literally nothing in terms of exercising for a while. Football training this morning will be light, and then i'm planning a calisthenics session tomorrow as i'm busy with work and won't have time to go to the gym.

Calisthenics tonight, in my room so all pull-ups done using big beam (I live in a 15th century building) awkward to grip and chins can't be done with full ROM due to thickness of beam:

1 x 3 Ab-Wheel rollouts from standing, not quite full ROM but pretty close.

3 x (30 press-ups, 8 pull-ups, 8 chin-ups, 20 leg raises, 30 bodyweight squats) 3 minute break between sets, wearing 1.5kg ankle weights throughout.

2 x 6 handstand push-ups

2 x 50 tricep dips from edge of bed

2 x 6 hanging leg raises

2 x 10 Ab-Wheel rollouts from kneeling

1 x 10 Pseudo planche push-ups

1 x 10 Super wide explosive push-ups

1 x 10 Chin-ups

3 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists)

Really tired after this session. Hands quite sore from gripping the beam. Depending on how i feel tomorrow i may give my #3 another shot, but grip feels weak tonight so not sure.

No cardio, didn't have time for a run, and my achilles is feeling pretty sore in any case, have got a physio appointment tomorrow, hopefully get some feedback on the achilles, which has been troubling me for more than a year now since i tore it. Tomorrow is my last night out of term, won't have time to work out, then really busy until the 10th with a ski trip, although no snow in the Alps at the moment! Will try to keep up exercise, but could be tricky.

Edited by patrickmeniru

CLOSED BY #3 MMS!!!

To set the scene, last night i got back to my room at 6:45pm and had to be at a dinner at 7pm. Decided that i might as well have a shot at the #3 seeing as i had told a couple of people i'd try it. Squeezed my #1 and #2 and #2.5 to warm-up. The #2.5 wasn't as easy as it has felt in the past and so i thought about not bothering with the #3 but thankfully i gave it a go anyway, really psyched myself up and got it shut. I managed to get a video of the close too, unfortunately because i was in such a rush i forgot to show the handles, and the close itself isn't as clear as i would like, but i think it's still visible. WIll try and get an MM0 cert worthy video fairly soon, although i'm away for a week from Friday so it won't be for a little while.

Video to come soon (no audio as it's basically me shouting into the mic, and a little embarrassing...).

That's awesome man. Congrats! Always a great feeling hitting a goal gripper. get that MM0 so u can start climbing the ladder.

Thanks Chez, i was on such a high after i felt those handles touch!

I've attached the video, complete with dubious music, as YouTube doesn't let you simply remove audio, you have to replace it... If you pause at about 4 seconds you can just about make out the close, although it isn't clear.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a few weeks since my last post, which reflects a lack of training on my part, had a great time snowboarding, which is good for core and lower body strength i suppose. Have been starting to work out again lately, closed my #3 MMS a couple of times yesterday and have hit the gym a couple of times.

I won't post what i did, as i can't remember it, but i did manage a one arm pull-up with a neutral grip, with a 15kg assist. Which indicates that i haven't lost too much strength, as it is about equivalent to doing a normal weighted pull-up with 40kg. Will try to get a one arm pull with just 10kg assist by the end of the holidays. After that i think i can start working negatives with bodyweight.

As for grip, crush is evidently still strong, but my support grip really needs some work. Not sure whether or not it was the fact i had closed my #3 for a couple of singles earlier, but when i tried a dead-lift PB yesterday my grip let me down, i easily had the leg/back strength for 400lbs but couldn't hang onto the bar. Was a horrible feeling to have my hands open out against my will!! Will do some work on support grip in future.

Am seeing family in the next couple of days, so no real upper body workouts, but will try and fit in a gripper session and do some push-ups and core work to keep things ticking over.

Hope everyone here has a great christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

Managed not to put on too much weight over christmas, also managed to fit in a reasonable amount of training!

Won't list everything, but have done a bit of running, a swimming session, some core work and a couple of gym sessions, as well as a couple of gripper sessions. Nothing too intense, but more than enough to keep things ticking over. Closed my #3 for two MMS singles in a workout, which was satisfying.

Gym session on Saturday looked something like this:

Warm-up: Jog, stretches and v.light calisthenics

Session:

1 x 10 overhead press 16kg dumbbells

1 x 10 overhead press 22kg dumbbells

2 x 8 overhead press 26kg dumbbells

2 x 8 muscle ups

2 x 10 decline bench 36kg dumbbells

1 x 7 decline bench 40kg dumbbells

3 x 6 bicep curls 22kg

3 x 8 tricep pull-downs 40kg

2 x 8 seated rows (can't remember weight)

1 x 10 squats 60kg

2 x 6 squats 100kg

1 x 6 squats 120kg

1 x 5 chin-ups

1 x 5 wide pull-ups

1 x 5 pull-ups

3 x 10 shoulder shrugs 45kg dumbbells

1 x 10 side bends 45kg dumbbell

3 x 15 weighted crunches 10kg

1 x 10 good mornings

2 x 10 good mornings 20kg

1 x 10 hanging leg raises

3 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists 8kg)

2 x 10 push-ups

Grip Workout Today:

Warm-Up:

1 x 5 TNS #1

1 x 5 TNS #2

Working Sets:

6 x 1 CCS #2.5 RH

8 x 1 MMS #2.5 LH

2 x 5 clicks #2.5 from MMS RH

3 x 1 TNS #2

1 x 5 TNS #2

2 x 5 MMS #2

1 x 10 TNS #1 Explosive

1 x 10 MMS #1 Explosive

1 x 50 store gripper reps

1 x 50 store gripper reps inverted

1 x 10 pinch with spring clamp and rubber bands

Some light wrist roller work and a few light wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Forearms and hands feeling pretty sore!

Hill running session tomorrow with football boys promises to be pretty brutal cardio, will also try and fit in some core work.

Played a 90 minute football match yesterday, so good cardio, leg and core workout there. Quick grip session today, been busy with uni stuff but felt pretty good so decided to give my #3 a shot (tried to get a MM0 cert vid made but failed to close the gripper on a couple of occasions).

1 x TNS #1

1 x TNS #2

1 x MMS #2.5

1 x MMS #3 RH

Tried for a second single after a minute or so but missed it by about 1/8".

1 x 4 TNS #2

After this i picked up my #2.5 and tried a no set close (not TNS as i was holding the spring to position the gripper in my hand), i think i just missed it by less than a millimetre, so when i feel good on another day i'll try and get a video of that feat, sweep is feeling really strong.

Thanks John, i've been following your training and you've definitely been making great strides - your strength on the axle is something else... I can barely hang onto 400lbs on an oly bar and your pretty much at 340 with an axle! :blink

Good luck with your cert on the #3 by the end of this year, i'm hoping to get a CCS on my #3 too, although not sure if i'll cert. Depends on the cost etc. I'll be happy just to know i can consistently close my #3, one day i'll TNS it, although that day is a long way off! :laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while (again) although this time i have a legitimate excuse. Sadly i broke my ankle playing football, a spiral fracture of my lower fibula. It will probably be about 4 weeks before i can walk again, and up to 12 weeks before i can resume impact activities like running. I'll try and do some kind of gripper training, but i find it hard to do grip when i feel so weak/fragile all over.

• 5 weeks later...

So, I've been sitting on my backside for the last couple of weeks, checking out other people's logs, has inspired me to get back into the gym. The ankle is still pretty tender through extended ranges of mobility, and any kind of squatting/serious dead-lifting is out of the question, as is running. I have been gradually working on some sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups over the last week or so. I've lost a lot of muscle mass on my left calf and quads :( but upper body hasn't suffered the same fate, i guess crutches are good for shoulder and tricep development, I've managed to hold a 10+ second tuck planche for the first time and have ordered some parallettes to help me work on my planche.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's my first gym session proper from yesterday, still just doing a bit of what i fancy rather than any serious sets:

Warm-ups:

5 min row (1.2km)

1 x 5 slow chins

1 x 2 'Frenchies' (chin ups with pause at top, middle and 135 degrees)

1 x 8 Bench-press 50kg

Working Sets:

2 x 13 second tuck planche hold

1 x 8 bench-press 76kg

1 x 7 bench-press 86kg

1 x 6 bench-press 91kg

2 x 6 wide grip pull-ups

4 x 8 bicep curls, EZ curl bar 30kg + bar

1 x 8 Iron Cross drill 13kg dumbbells

1 x 10 skull crushers 41kg

1 x 7 plate curls 10kg

1 x 20 reverse wrist curls 10kg dumbbells

1 x 10 full ROM dips

1 x 10 one arm hangs 10secs

1 x 10 overhead press 36kg

1 x 5 partial ROM side-bends 60kg dumbbell

1 x 10 full ROM side bends 20kg plate

1 x 8 straight leg dead-lift 75kg

2 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet off floor crunches, 20 russian twists w/10kg plate)

1 x 15 crunches with feet up in the air, reaching up to touch them, w/20kg plate

1 x 20 leg raises

1 x 10 fingertip push-ups

1 x 20 second walk pinching 2 x 10kg plates (not smooth)

1 min handstand hold against wall

Warm-down:

2 minute row to cool-down (500m).

Later in the day i went to the gym again to do some cardio, did a few other bits too:

2 x 6 muscle ups

2 x 10 dips

1 x 2 frenchies w/12kg

1 x 8 dips w/12kg

2 x 8 straight arm pull downs approx. 30kg

20 mins on spin bike

Parallette handles (push-up handles) arrived today, decided to do a session with them based on planche exercises and core:

5 pushups

2 handstand pushups

3 x 3 L-sit to tuck planche

1 x 4 sec tuck planche hold

2 x 6 planche/tuck L-sit rocks

2 x 10 sec planche lean

2 x 5 pseudo planche pushups

1 x 30 second L-sit

2 x 5 handstand pushups against wall

1 x 10 diamond pushups

1 x 30 pushups

1 x 1min handstand hold

5 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches on each side, 20 v-sit crunches, 20 russian twists)

Video of my current standard of tuck planche:

Any feedback or criticism of my technique would be greatly appreciated!

Wanted to go for a heavy pull-up session today but elbows a little tender, so saved them for planche work. I did manage to get a few slow muscle-ups, with false grip, which was a nice surprise!

1 x ( 1 chin, 1 pull up, 1 wide grip pull-up)

3 x 1 slow muscle up

1 x 5 pull-ups 12kg

1 x 0 muscle-up 12kg

1 x 10 dips 12kg

1 x 5 pull-ups 24kg

1 x 5 chins 24kg

1 x 6 muscle-ups

4 x 10 leg press, single leg reps, light weight

15 mins spin bike

15 mins cross-trainer, didn't use handles to stress core (i can't jog for a while due to ankle)

10 mins rowing machine (2km)

10 x 10 second tuck planche holds, 1 min between reps

2 x 10 bicep curls 13kg dumbbells

1 x 10 dips

1 x 4 handstand pushups

4 x 2 tuck front lever pulls

1 x 90 second plank

1 x 20 leg raise circles

1 x 4 ab-rollouts

1 x 2 10 sec L-Sit to tuck planche

Feel like i'm really making some progress with the front lever, was able to hold the tuck easily and briefly extend one leg, which made my form a little sloppy, but i could feel an improvement in strength. Very encouraging, especially along with the slow muscle up!

1 x 3 L-Sit to tuck planche with 5 and 2 second holds respectively

3 x 6 Wide grip pull-ups w/8kg

2 x slow muscle ups

2 x 15 benchpress 61kg

2 x 10 benchpress 61kg

3 x 6 bicep curls 15kg

3 x 10 shoulder press 15kg dumbbells

1 x 20 shoulder press 15kg dumbbells

2 x 3 tuck front lever pulls

1 x 1 back lever 5 seconds

2 x straight arm dumbbell flys 15kg

1 x 10 dips

1 x 10 plate shrugs 20kg

2 x 4 handstand pushups

1 x 10 feet raised crunches holding 20kg plate

2 x 4 dragon flags

1 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches on each side, 20 v-sit crunches, 20 russian twists)

1 x 8 straight legged deadlifts 75kg

1 x 5 tucked L-Sit/tuck planche rocks

1 x 8 pseudo planche pushups

1 x 10 pushups

20 minutes on a cross trainer, really light.

Went to the gym this morning to do a little cardio with a friend and damn have i lost a lot of fitness - did 15 mins on a cross trainer and then 12 mins on a spin bike doing 1 minute of hard pedalling followed by 1 minute of slower recovery. After that i cycled up to the hospital for a physio session and i was really struggling to get up the hills! Oh well, hopefully i'll regain some fitness and leg strength/endurance before too long.

The physio was pretty positive about my recovery, i should be able to start doing some very light impact stuff this week and then perhaps some light jogging next week if all goes well. Was also told that i could be experiencing the occasional shooting pains that i've been suffering with in my ankle for up to a year!

I'm planning on having a light day today, so will do a little planche work later and do a little gripper stuff as i've been neglecting that in the last couple of months.

Really good session yesterday - i think that my lack of gym work recently is showing though, after my 3rd set of weighted pull-ups, i grabbed the bar for set 4 and couldn't generate anything at all, didn't even get to 100 degrees. My CNS was fried i guess, but at least it showed i was pushing hard. Best session i've had in a while.

Started with Planche work:

5 x 3 L-sit to tuck planche with 5 second holds at each position, 2 min recovery

5 x 20 second feet raised planche leans with 1 minute recovery

3 x 10 tuck L-sit to tuck planche rocks with 1 min recovery

1 x 5 pseudo pushups (too easy)

1 x 3 pseudo pushups (too hard)

2 x 5 pseudo pushups (hand position just right for fatigue at end of 5th rep)

Cycled to the gym: (5 min ride)

1 x 1 Wide grip pull-ups, standard pull-up, chin up (to prepare muscles)

1 x 4 Muscle ups w/8kg

2 x (5 pull-ups, 5 chins, 10 dips)w/24kg (second set, 5th reps of pull and chin were close but incomplete)

1 x 5 wide grip pull-ups w/16kg

1 x 4 chins w/16kg

2 x 10 dips w/16kg

1 x 8 wide grip pull-ups

1 x 8 chins (kipped the last couple reps)

1 x 10 dips

4 x 8 straight arm pull-downs 40lbs

1 x 8 tiger bend pushups

1 x 8 explosive pushup

1 x 10 front raises 7kg dumbells

1 x 20 minutes on spin bike

2 x 4 frenchies

3 x 4 handstand pushups

Cycled home from gym (5 mins)

2 x 8 ab-wheel rollouts from kneeling

3 x 20 bodyweight squats

2 x 10 static lunges each leg

1 x 20 pushups, feet raised

1 x (10 sit-ups, 10 oblique crunches each side, 10 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists w/5kg)

1 x 20 leg raises

Grip:

Warm-up:

couple of reps with a store gripper

5 x CoC #1 TNS

Working sets:

2 x CoC #2 TNS

2 x CoC #2.5 MMS overcrush, right hand

1 x 0 CoC #2.5 MMS, left hand

1 x 8 CoC #2 CCS reps, left hand

1 x 3 CoC #2.5 MMS reps, right hand

1 x 4 CoC #2 TNS reps, left hand

1 x CoC #2.5 MMS with 10 second hold, right hand

1 x CoC #2 MMS with 15 second hold, left hand

1 x 10 CoC #2 MMS, right hand

1 x 5 CoC #2 MMS, left hand

1 x 10 CoC #1 explosive, right hand

1 x 5 CoC #1 explosive, left hand

Some light wrist roller, leveraging and extensor work.

Gripper strength is way down on where it was in December, when i shut my #3 for the first time. Hopefully it won't take too long until i get back to closing the #3.

1 x 10 deep squats 50kg

1 x 4 deep squats 110kg

1 x 6 squats 110kg

1 x 8 squats 100kg

1 x 1 slow muscle up

2 x 10 bench-press 70kg

1 x 8 incline bench 60kg

1 x 10 dips

1 x 10 plate curls 10kg

3 x 5 second tuck planche holds

40 mins on spin bike

30 mins of cross trainer

5 minutes fast rowing

2 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches on each side, 20 v-sit crunches, 20 russian twists w/5kg)

1 x 20 leg raises

1 x 10 hanging leg raises

2 x 2 handstand pushups

1 x 8 divebomber pushups with feet elevated

1 x 20 pushups feet raised

Some fairly light planche work, tucks and leans.

3 x 6 muscle ups

3 x 2 frenchies

1 x 6 tricep pull downs (stack minus 1 plate)

1 x 6 bicep curls 20kg dumbbells

1 x 8 tricep pull downs (2/3 stack)

2 x 8 military press w/100lbs

2 x 10 fingertip pushups

1 x 8 bicep curls 9kg

1 x 8 hammer curls 14kg

1 x 10 chest flys

1 x 20 wide pushups

Some front lever work, managed a brief hold with one leg extended!

2 x 7 pseudo pushups

1 x 2 (10 sec L-sit to tuck planche)

2 x 10 sec max planche lean

2 x 5 tucked L-sit/tuck planche rocks

3 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches on each side, 20 v-sit crunches, 20 russian twists w/5kg)

1 x 20 bodyweight squats

Squeezed my CoC #1 and #2 a few times just to grease the groove a little.

Elbows very slightly sore, so rested upper body today, did a little cardio.

15 mins on spin bike

15 mins on cross trainer