First Workout For Beginners

David Horne

• 1 month later...

Is there a website that has pictures showing HOW this exercises are done? Because, from reading them, I don't know how to perform ANY of them! =(

Is there a website that has pictures showing HOW this exercises are done? Because, from reading them, I don't know how to perform ANY of them! =(

Well, since you have grippers, although david Horne might object, and he is the boss in this area, I'd say use the grippers instead of the #2 exercise, finger curls.

#1- Start with say a pair of weight plates, say two 45's. With gloves on, take both hands and grasp the plates, so that your thumb is on one side and your fingers are on the other. Lift the plates and hold them in the air for time. Scroll down for a link to a video showing how to do Two hand Pinch.

#3-Pic of a wrist curl

Basically put your hands in the position of the pic and curl your hand up and down, bending at the wrist. Be sure to work through a full range of motion.

#4- Reverse Wrist Curl

Basically do the last exercise, but palms facing the ground. You will not be able to use as much weight, as the muscles that control this motion (the extensors) are weaker thna in regular wrist curls (the wrist flexors).

Edited by unseenbeat

I'm not disagreeing with you, Tim, but I must say, the finger curls are working my forearms like I couldn't have imagined. Combined with the other exercises listed, my forearms are becoming like stone (ok, like rain-deprived soil). Hopefully, at some point they'll grow a bit too, but I've only been at this a few weeks.

lifesnotfair,

From one newb to another... I believe its important to reiterate: work hard, but work smart and don't get impatient with progress to the point your hurt yourself or your progress.

Steve

I'm not disagreeing with you, Tim, but I must say, the finger curls are working my forearms like I couldn't have imagined. Combined with the other exercises listed, my forearms are becoming like stone (ok, like rain-deprived soil). Hopefully, at some point they'll grow a bit too, but I've only been at this a few weeks.

Hey staigl, I totally hear you. I think finger curls work the hand/arm more evenly than a gripper could, and through a fuller range of motion! It's just that I figure it'd be easier for him to stick with the grippers. Personnally, I've always tried to swithc things up, a lil bit of this, a lil bit of that.

Using a Trainer would probably not be too much, but the trouble with grippers for beginners is that are hard to put down, and you can end up squeezing them everyday. There is a long time ahead for training hopefully.

David

Shoot David, even non-newbs can't put the grippers down! :laugh

For me, the king is the chest high 2 inch wrist roller. You can actually work up to decent weight because you are not supporting it with your shoulders. WR and finger curls are some of the best forearm and wrist exercises to me.

Edited by Wes

I think wrist rollers aren't very good for beginners, most people don't concentrate on getting the full-range of motion in their wrists the first time they try.

unseenbeat: wow, if everyone had your will to help others, the world would actually be an awesome place! =P

Question: for the wrist curls, both palm-up or palms-down.. by "full range of motion", you mean I should move the wrist to it's maximun reach in both directions? All the way up and all the way down? I once tried this with dumbells in each hand, it was unbelievably hard and had to use little weight. My grip might be weak, but my wrists are pitiful. =)

What is recommended? The straight bar, like in the picture you showed me? Should the thumb be in the opposite side, when doing them palms up? I assume they should be in the opposite side when doing pams-down or it'd be pretty hard.

I'll start with this program then, not right now but in about 2 weeks (have a trip to the USA for business in 3 days). Sounds neat. This forum is cool. =) Thx fellas.

unseenbeat: wow, if everyone had your will to help others, the world would actually be an awesome place! =P

Question: for the wrist curls, both palm-up or palms-down.. by "full range of motion", you mean I should move the wrist to it's maximun reach in both directions? All the way up and all the way down? I once tried this with dumbells in each hand, it was unbelievably hard and had to use little weight. My grip might be weak, but my wrists are pitiful. =)

What is recommended? The straight bar, like in the picture you showed me? Should the thumb be in the opposite side, when doing them palms up? I assume they should be in the opposite side when doing pams-down or it'd be pretty hard.

I'll start with this program then, not right now but in about 2 weeks (have a trip to the USA for business in 3 days). Sounds neat. This forum is cool. =) Thx fellas.

Thanks life. :)

In regards to your first question, yes, as far as you can go. And yes, the weights you will be able to handle will be less than if you cheated, but you will be stronger and more flexible because of it.

I'd use a dumbbell, but straight bar makes the workout go by faster, and was how David Horne intended the beginners workout I believe. And yes, thumb on opposite side for both.

You know, I noticed in those pics, that while for the normal wrist curl, his forearms are completely in touch with his legs.... for the reverse ones, his arms are straight and just touching his knees. Is this the way they should be done? I thought one should press forearms against legs too for the reverse... ?

You know, I noticed in those pics, that while for the normal wrist curl, his forearms are completely in touch with his legs.... for the reverse ones, his arms are straight and just touching his knees. Is this the way they should be done? I thought one should press forearms against legs too for the reverse... ?

Don't actively press your amrs into your legs, basically just let them sit there. He is in different positions of the wrist curl in each pic, though I'm unsure as to what you are referring to.

I'm refering to this:

In the first pic, the normal curls, almost his entire forearms are in contact with his legs.

in the pic of the reverse curl, his arms are not like that, they're only in contact with his knee, kinda.... is this the proper way? I thought for both excercises one should rest the forearms on the legs... ?

I thought for both excercises one should rest the forearms on the legs... ?

For strictest fashion, yes.

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for the suggested basic program, exactly the stuff I was looking for!

A question: I am also a climber and a dedicated chinner so my grip gets toasted from those activities a few times a week, should I add more work for the antagonists to avoid some unbalance? Maybe bump up the volume for the reverse w-curls? Should I bother with the different pieces of equipment that lets you extend your fingers against resistance?

Again thanks for the program, it saved the more knowledgable forum-members three months of confused newbie-questions from me! :rock

Thanks a lot for the suggested basic program, exactly the stuff I was looking for!

A question: I am also a climber and a dedicated chinner so my grip gets toasted from those activities a few times a week, should I add more work for the antagonists to avoid some unbalance? Maybe bump up the volume for the reverse w-curls? Should I bother with the different pieces of equipment that lets you extend your fingers against resistance?

Again thanks for the program, it saved the more knowledgable forum-members three months of confused newbie-questions from me! :rock

Climber511 on the board Chris Rice has been a climber for over 25 years send a pm to him and I think he would have some great info On the climbing and traing your grip at the same time.

Reverse curls have been saving my elbows! And working the extensors of the hand has also helped me a lot.

I used both the formulator and the IM bands to work both set of extensors, but I still experienced elbow pain periodically until I started doing pushups..I think any other tricep extension exercise would also help that area.

Edited by pdoire

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I'm new to this site.

I want to start strengthening my grip. What would be a good work out using "stuff" around the house?

Just squeeze stuff as hard as you can for periods of time, anywhere from 3 seconds to beyond. You can take newspaper and roll it up, and try to twist and roll it up as hard as you can. Squeeze a tennis ball. Wring the water out of a wet towel. Do pullups with only a few fingers, or off of door frames, or using towels. There are many things you can do. Do you have access to weights?

Yeah. I work out a gym, and just got a "grip" ball.

Then lift heavy weights and your hands will get stronger. You can also pinch weight plates.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, deadlifts with two fingers of each hand is good. or you can do one hand deadlift.

• 5 months later...

Woho, first post =D

Is there any modifikations to be done if you only have time once a week to do this specific workout? or should I go on as suggested?

and a another thing, I do a lot of backwork (compared to the rest of the body), this should train the things that close the hand a lot? could I increase the sets of the reverse wrist curls?

The whing I want to improve the most is the crushing strengh (is that one or 2 words? in swedish it would have been one hehe), but I should follow this workout to create a foundation for future training? dont really care about the static strengh as long as I can deadlift in my fingertips.

Edited by littleboy