Rolling Thunder

meduza

This is the thread where you can post anything you want about the new rolling thunder handle. Everything from how you set up chalk or not and how you train with it. Do you hook your wrist when doing it ?

i do not hook my wrist. when it inevitably straightened out under heavy load, i would get a weird popping in my wrist. it wasn't painful but i didn't enjoy it either. many shared this experience.

• Like 1

i never hook my wrist, like bubba said it does get straightened out under load and also can put unnecessary strain on the distal bicep tendon... when i lift my RT i grasp it straight on, leave my arm as straight as possible, sink my hips and lean back to lift it

as far as chalk, i only use enough to keep my hands dry... i don't chalk the handle

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer guys! :D I hook my wrist when i do it but it always straighten out half way of the lockout but i can pull more wheight that way, And if you hold the handle little to the side then you can lift more wheight, have you tried that ? :)

Only done two workouts with it so far but pulled bit over 200 this week on my old handle which is a tad easier since doesn't spin as freely as new one. Goal will be to hit 200 on this with new handle.

I did my rolling thunder workout after squats I find this exercise in particular like most grip responds really well when your cns is firing. I like to also use liquid chalk for this exercise as too much chalk doesn't seem to help as much with grip. I like to sink my hips then explode really quickly to get a little bit out of the stretch reflex. Also feel flexing the wrist helps a bit also. Also like to be close when I pull as I don't want the handle too far in front of me as feels awkward.

I think grabbing the side is not a legal lift though and excessive tilt might be illegal also though someone more knowledge could clarify that.

• Like 1

Only done two workouts with it so far but pulled bit over 200 this week on my old handle which is a tad easier since doesn't spin as freely as new one. Goal will be to hit 200 on this with new handle.

I did my rolling thunder workout after squats I find this exercise in particular like most grip responds really well when your cns is firing. I like to also use liquid chalk for this exercise as too much chalk doesn't seem to help as much with grip. I like to sink my hips then explode really quickly to get a little bit out of the stretch reflex. Also feel flexing the wrist helps a bit also. Also like to be close when I pull as I don't want the handle too far in front of me as feels awkward.

I think grabbing the side is not a legal lift though and excessive tilt might be illegal also though someone more knowledge could clarify that.

you are correct :)

Okey. But now i am talking just a little bit to the right with you hand if you are lifting with your right hand and left when you lifting whit the left. I think it gets harder if you completley holds it in the center i am talknig about millimeters. Ofcourse you most hold on the revolving handle and it is not tilting it.

Okey. But now i am talking just a little bit to the right with you hand if you are lifting with your right hand and left when you lifting whit the left. I think it gets harder if you completley holds it in the center i am talknig about millimeters. Ofcourse you most hold on the revolving handle and it is not tilting it.

"2. The lifter grabs the Rolling Thunder handle in approximately its center and lifts with the handle remaining approximately parallel to the ground. A thumbless grip is not permitted.

3. Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift; and other than incidental contact, the hand or Rolling Thunder handle must not touch the body before the lift is completed—dragging the hand or handle up the leg is cause for an immediate "No lift."" From the IronMind rules [emphasis added]

It sounds like what you are describing is consistent with the above, though it could potentially be deemed a no lift. (ie approximately is a subjective standard)

Guest Squat More

Well the Rolling Thunder is the main thing I focus on grip wise, I have been doing a lot of high rep work lately with nice slow linear progression, 10+ rep sets adding 5# a week and work on the Titans Telegraph Key. It is going well and I will continue to follow this scheme and make adjustments when progress stalls, perhaps just knocking a few reps off and continue to add the 5#s until I am pulling triples. I don't compete in grip comps or anything like that, thick bar lifting and pinch is my main deal with wrist strengthening work to supplement and keep me from stalling. My long term goal is a 250# lift on the RT and beyond, for 2013 it is to lift 212# for a single, I think I will surpass that number though. Yesterday after my axle lifts I loaded 145# and pulled a very easy double, just to see how the high rep work has gone so far (last workout was 125# x 15 reps each hand) so I know the high rep stuff translates well to heavier lifts. I have average sized hands but that doesn't bother me, just means I gotta be stronger than someone with longer hands, which is fine by me.

I am still experimenting with thumb placement and grip on the RT. I prefer to not use chalk aside from a very tiny bit on my hands so they are dry, but not so much that they look white, basically if you looked at my hands, you wouldn't know there was chalk on them. I know guys liked to use the tiny bit of water on the plam then to rub the hands together fast to dry it off, I have used this in the past and found that it works on the older handle but not so much the new one. While I do have an old RT handle all my training is on the newer one, because it just rolls smoother. After a year of training I will use the older one to pull doubles and singles to feed my ego, it is not nearly as fluid so it would probably add a few pounds to my lifts.

Has anyone noticed the technique that Alexey Tyukalov uses when he pulls? He dips down and keeps his arm bent a little bit, I think if you trained like that from day 1 and progressed slowly it would be a benefit, because the bent arm along with a strong wrist allows you to get your fingers under the handle better, which makes lifts easier on the thumb and allows you to use more of your entire hand. I have used the "Dip and pull" for my Iron Mind hub, and it has helped tremendously. I may try it for a few triples after my regular 10+ set on Saturday.

Also, I find that having the RT handle at a 45 degree angle is best for me personally to pull, if someone doesn't know what I mean by this I could snap a photo and post it.

Edited by Squat More
  • Like 1

Nice info man! :D Yeah Alexey tyukalov is a beast! But sometimes i feel he holds the handle litte to much to the side... And yea! it would be nice of you to post a photo of that 45 degreeangle! :)

Well the Rolling Thunder is the main thing I focus on grip wise, I have been doing a lot of high rep work lately with nice slow linear progression, 10+ rep sets adding 5# a week and work on the Titans Telegraph Key. It is going well and I will continue to follow this scheme and make adjustments when progress stalls, perhaps just knocking a few reps off and continue to add the 5#s until I am pulling triples. I don't compete in grip comps or anything like that, thick bar lifting and pinch is my main deal with wrist strengthening work to supplement and keep me from stalling. My long term goal is a 250# lift on the RT and beyond, for 2013 it is to lift 212# for a single, I think I will surpass that number though. Yesterday after my axle lifts I loaded 145# and pulled a very easy double, just to see how the high rep work has gone so far (last workout was 125# x 15 reps each hand) so I know the high rep stuff translates well to heavier lifts. I have average sized hands but that doesn't bother me, just means I gotta be stronger than someone with longer hands, which is fine by me.

I am still experimenting with thumb placement and grip on the RT. I prefer to not use chalk aside from a very tiny bit on my hands so they are dry, but not so much that they look white, basically if you looked at my hands, you wouldn't know there was chalk on them. I know guys liked to use the tiny bit of water on the plam then to rub the hands together fast to dry it off, I have used this in the past and found that it works on the older handle but not so much the new one. While I do have an old RT handle all my training is on the newer one, because it just rolls smoother. After a year of training I will use the older one to pull doubles and singles to feed my ego, it is not nearly as fluid so it would probably add a few pounds to my lifts.

Has anyone noticed the technique that Alexey Tyukalov uses when he pulls? He dips down and keeps his arm bent a little bit, I think if you trained like that from day 1 and progressed slowly it would be a benefit, because the bent arm along with a strong wrist allows you to get your fingers under the handle better, which makes lifts easier on the thumb and allows you to use more of your entire hand. I have used the "Dip and pull" for my Iron Mind hub, and it has helped tremendously. I may try it for a few triples after my regular 10+ set on Saturday.

Also, I find that having the RT handle at a 45 degree angle is best for me personally to pull, if someone doesn't know what I mean by this I could snap a photo and post it.

Got your point! like this ? 644661.1117424386686.Img_2954.jpg

Nice info man! :D Yeah Alexey tyukalov is a beast! But sometimes i feel he holds the handle litte to much to the side... And yea! it would be nice of you to post a photo of that 45 degreeangle! :)

I now practice the RT with regular, neutral-wrist lifts as well as hooked wrist, thumbless lifts.

Seems to benifit arm wrestling.

• Like 1

Is 80 kg good for a 16 yeard old boy with 19.5 centimers hands! :D Strict style. Hand middle of the handle and straight out.

Jon, I am planning on working on this in Spring. I've heard some people caution against lifts with a bent elbow, being concerned about the bicep tendon. Do you think this is a concern, or because the RT is gonna be a sub-maximal weight its not a problem.

Translated for Americans:

7.68 inches, 176 lbs, age 16?

Yes, that is very good. Excellent. Your hand size is very average. There are older strong men with hands larger than that who pull less. I once saw a 23 year old man with hands slightly larger than yours, a person who could deadlift 650 lbs...fail at 160 lbs on the Rolling Thunder.

Is 80 kg good for a 16 yeard old boy with 19.5 centimers hands! :D Strict style. Hand middle of the handle and straight out.

Yes thats right. That was fun to know! I am aiming on 90 kg before this year is finnished.

Translated for Americans:

7.68 inches, 176 lbs, age 16?

Yes, that is very good. Excellent. Your hand size is very average. There are older strong men with hands larger than that who pull less. I once saw a 23 year old man with hands slightly larger than yours, a person who could deadlift 650 lbs...fail at 160 lbs on the Rolling Thunder.

Guest Squat More

Jon, I am planning on working on this in Spring. I've heard some people caution against lifts with a bent elbow, being concerned about the bicep tendon. Do you think this is a concern, or because the RT is gonna be a sub-maximal weight its not a problem.

Mike

As I said if you trained this way from light weight over time you could be proficient in it since your biceps tendons wouldn't be an issue. Someone like Alexey focuses a great deal on the RT for Russian arm lifting sport and I assume he has pulled the same way for some time to be the most proficient in his technique. Russians are like that with sports, you should know that.

Edited for typo.

Edited by Squat More

Mike

As I said if you trained this way from light weight over time you could be proficient in it since your biceps tendons wouldn't be an issue. Someone like Alexey focuses a great deal on the RT for Russian arm lifting sport and I assume he has pulled the same way for some time to be the most proficient in his technique. Russians are like that with sports, you should know that.

Edited for typo.

word.

Guest Squat More

Your lift looks good to me. I would suggest doing some volume training with the RT to strengthen all the tendons associated with the lift and to build up the thumb, also some plate curls to strengthen the wrist. Also I have found doing the volume work will add poundages to your lifts if you are looking to focus on the RT and building it up. Just start slow and be smart about it, no one starts gripper training trying to close the #3 right off the bat, no one begins weight lifting trying to max out every session. That might work for a week, or a month, but then something will go wrong and set you back.

Experiment, pull high rep sets, use different set and rep schemes and find what you best respond to. Right now, I am going 10+ but in time that will no doubt change as I get stronger and the weights get heavier. I am going for 130# x 10+ today after Squats. The 10+ rep scheme came from advice shared by Laine Snook, he suggested 3x10 with 65ish % of your max three times a week for a month to build the tendons. I did this in the past and got decent at the RT but then took a long layoff, my best 1rm pull was 168ish pulling no more than 120# for reps. Right now I am trying something different with linear progression adding weight and only having one workout on the RT a week and I am pushing the reps more now with some time under my belt and getting well more than 10 reps.

If you're 16 and pulling that much already you have the ability to take it to some very nice lifts. You can pull more than I can right now I think, I haven't tested a 1rm on the RT since the 165 so I have no idea where I am right now. Either way, that is a strong lift so consider the advice in this thread and keep at it!

Good on you man.

Edited by Squat More
  • Like 2

Thanks man! Always fun to get credit! Yea! Laine Snook is a beast he should try to beat mark felix. I am now going to try your tips and do reps for a couple of weeks. I have done 1rm almost evrytime since i bought a rt.

Your lift looks good to me. I would suggest doing some volume training with the RT to strengthen all the tendons associated with the lift and to build up the thumb, also some plate curls to strengthen the wrist. Also I have found doing the volume work will add poundages to your lifts if you are looking to focus on the RT and building it up. Just start slow and be smart about it, no one starts gripper training trying to close the #3 right off the bat, no one begins weight lifting trying to max out every session. That might work for a week, or a month, but then something will go wrong and set you back.

Experiment, pull high rep sets, use different set and rep schemes and find what you best respond to. Right now, I am going 10+ but in time that will no doubt change as I get stronger and the weights get heavier. I am going for 130# x 10+ today after Squats. The 10+ rep scheme came from advice shared by Laine Snook, he suggested 3x10 with 65ish % of your max three times a week for a month to build the tendons. I did this in the past and got decent at the RT but then took a long layoff, my best 1rm pull was 168ish pulling no more than 120# for reps. Right now I am trying something different with linear progression adding weight and only having one workout on the RT a week and I am pushing the reps more now with some time under my belt and getting well more than 10 reps.

If you're 16 and pulling that much already you have the ability to take it to some very nice lifts. You can pull more than I can right now I think, I haven't tested a 1rm on the RT since the 165 so I have no idea where I am right now. Either way, that is a strong lift so consider the advice in this thread and keep at it!

Good on you man.

I have seen enough judging where some would have given you that lift, and some would not have. I would have called it 98% in my training log. The height was probably there, but I don't know if a judge would have had time to give a down signal...

I already told you that you are lifting good numbers. If you had touched a rolling Thunder less than 4 days before you made that attempt, I would say wait 5 days and give it another shot and you will have it in full control.

Did a new personal record today 81.4 kg 179.46 lbs. Do you think it is legit ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vpvuGbwbyU&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1