Muscle Ups

JoshW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YN9c54s0Rs

So tried these for the first time, hard stuff to get the hang off. Couldn't do it at first, was trying for atleast 30mins saying im not leaving here till I do one! Any technique changes? training methods for this?

Im training for ninja warrior 2017 and some of my short term goals are a one arm chin up. I tried it today and got about half way. Im taking this very seriously at the moment, spent about 2 hrs today training pullups and calisthenics.

But any technique changes and training ideas much appreciated, thanks guys :grin:

• Like 2

Work your dips and chest to the bar pullups, make sure you have the bottom of your palms on top of the bar and your not holding on with your fingers. practice makes perfect! looking good though!

• Like 1

I think it's amazing that this is your first time trying this and you did it. Since you have the power to go over the bar I say just keep doing what you are doing and focus on explosiveness and doing more reps. Once you get more comfortable with the movement and stronger you ll be able to work more on your form if your goal is to do it stricter (elbows fully extend, knees str8 etc). People say for many exercises focus on form from the beginning but this doesn't count for muscle ups because it's better to go over the bar however you can vs just doing pullups or other things.

How I got my first muscle up I was practicing on a bar that was about shoulder height. I was jumping on it and when I got used to the transition part then it was easy to do it on a regular bar.

Good job brother!

• Like 1

Work your dips and chest to the bar pullups, make sure you have the bottom of your palms on top of the bar and your not holding on with your fingers. practice makes perfect! looking good though!

Put my palms on top of the bar and gained an extra rep ;) cheers nick!

I think it's amazing that this is your first time trying this and you did it. Since you have the power to go over the bar I say just keep doing what you are doing and focus on explosiveness and doing more reps. Once you get more comfortable with the movement and stronger you ll be able to work more on your form if your goal is to do it stricter (elbows fully extend, knees str8 etc). People say for many exercises focus on form from the beginning but this doesn't count for muscle ups because it's better to go over the bar however you can vs just doing pullups or other things.

How I got my first muscle up I was practicing on a bar that was about shoulder height. I was jumping on it and when I got used to the transition part then it was easy to do it on a regular bar.

Good job brother!

A lot of it was to do with the amount of momentum I needed to get up over the bar, technique was the difference between no reps and 4 reps in the end!

Checked out my progress on one arm chins and using a counter leverage system I can do one with 15kg bw taken off me so I have a bit of work to do

Going to train pullups and calisthenics nearly everyday if I can as I really want to win ninja warrior next year!

Il post my progress as my form and core strength develops

Cheers brother!

I'd echo what has already been said above. Out of interest, what is your goal with the muscle ups? If it's to do a lot and be visually impressive (and for the record I don't think there's anything wrong with that!), then could be worth looking at some crossfit guides to bar muscle ups - I've seen one or two decent ones.

If you want to work towards really strict muscle ups, then definitely do as Evan suggests and get lots of ugly ones under your belt. I would also, concurrently work on your weighted pull up, but not chest to bar - more of a hollow position, as this carries over better to the muscle up IMO - see explanation of why below if you're interested, if not that's the end of my thoughts!

(Chest to bar is a great exercise and should be trained, but for muscle ups specifically you don't want to use that motor pattern because it brings you up under the bar. In a muscle up you want to come up slightly away from the bar to give your torso space to go past it. To that end a hollow pull up is 'better' for training the strict muscle up. Mr Naterman does a great job explaining the hollow pull-up if you aren't familiar with it, video below.)

Anyway, best of luck with your training, you've already got a pretty impressive base strength/power so getting better at muscle ups should mostly be a case of practicing the skill and motor patterning. Also, as a word of warning, be careful with the OAC training! Can't emphasise enough how it's better to progress a little each month and reach the goal, than to progress a lot quickly, not quite reach the goal, get injured and then have to start all over (speaking from bitter experience).

Edited by PatrickMeniru
  • Like 2

Thank you for your kind words and advice Patrick! My goal is too have a body that is conditioned to using bars. Muscle ups is one area that I want to master, clean form and all would be ideal! Hopefully when I enter ninja warrior I will be properly prepared for the challenges ahead, so far ive been training every day dips, archer pullups, chin-ups and chucking in some explosive bench and shoulder press. Just getting used to using my bodyweight in this way. I only do dips every other day or something but been doing muscle ups and pullups every day for a week now and am taking the weekend off and seeing where I am at fresh

Hollow pullups look very useful for my goal! il give them a go for sure.

As to the OAC goal, ive been conditioning my tendons and connective tissue in the elbow joint region for a few months now so hopefully less injuries will occur! Im hoping that as I spend more bar time I will get stronger lifting my body in this way

I don't know how ninja warrior UK is but UK ninja warrior Dion Trigg visited my ninja gym last month and it was really cool to chat and compete together, really nice guy! While muscle ups will help with many obstacles it's only a small part of ninja training. Keep doing what you are doing but don't make it your only type of training. Ninja warrior courses require that you are strong all around and require specialized obstacle course training. In the US for example you have to be good with balance/jumping and agility before you even get to the grip intensive obstacles. The upper body obstacles at the very beginning usually involve lache-ing which is more technique and not muscle up power. But again not sure how the UK courses are.

• Like 1

In the UK one atleast, the grip obstacles are laughable, not really hard at all the only ones which are hard are the balance ones, which you have just reminded me about..need to train that! I might start rock climbing or something as that always carrys over well.

• Like 1

In the UK one atleast, the grip obstacles are laughable, not really hard at all the only ones which are hard are the balance ones, which you have just reminded me about..need to train that! I might start rock climbing or something as that always carrys over well.

I think you will love climbing or at least bouldering, which is what I do because it's a lot easier to practice especially at climbing gyms, you need no ropes or partner. They also have slacklines at climbing gyms which is one of the best ways to practice balance IMO.

here is a vid a made today with close grip muscle ups and door-frame pullups. I saw Jan Hojer ( European bouldering champion) doing those and wanted to give them a try. Felt good for wrist strengthening but they are harder than regular muscle ups.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Have you guys ever tried that flying pull up? They got one in my gym now and its fun.

Its four rungs going vertically up and are at a backwards angle of like 25deg or so. You pull up and jump for the next rung.

Ive done the four rungs up and back down three times. Ive never tried muscle ups but these may help for building explosive drive up.

Chalk isn't allowed or that would help

• Like 1

I think you will love climbing or at least bouldering, which is what I do because it's a lot easier to practice especially at climbing gyms, you need no ropes or partner. They also have slacklines at climbing gyms which is one of the best ways to practice balance IMO.

here is a vid a made today with close grip muscle ups and door-frame pullups. I saw Jan Hojer ( European bouldering champion) doing those and wanted to give them a try. Felt good for wrist strengthening but they are harder than regular muscle ups.

Nice video Evan, your muscle ups are so clean (even with close grip)! Also the one arm jump was very impressive (along with the rest of the video lol.)

• Like 1

thanks Patrick, I've also seen a vid of a strong calisthenics guy doing one arm muscle up so that's the next goal :grin:

Have you guys ever tried that flying pull up? They got one in my gym now and its fun.
Its four rungs going vertically up and are at a backwards angle of like 25deg or so. You pull up and jump for the next rung.
Ive done the four rungs up and back down three times. Ive never tried muscle ups but these may help for building explosive drive up.

good job man! I've tried that at my regular gym. it's fun! if you can do that you can probably do the salmon ladder in ninja warrior!

here it is

he got the girls' attention thats for sure :tongue:laugh

and here's how he trained for it

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

thanks Patrick, I've also seen a vid of a strong calisthenics guy doing one arm muscle up so that's the next goal :grin:

good job man! I've tried that at my regular gym. it's fun! if you can do that you can probably do the salmon ladder in ninja warrior!

Yeah thats what it reminds me of. I never have seen anyone using it.

Do you think id get a muscle up based on doing the flying pull up?

Im in the middle of a cut so Im 233-34 right now but still did the flying pull up at 245+

Salmon ladder is something ive always wanted to try! :D I think the hardest thing about muscle ups is judging the amount of momentum you need before you do it as it was the difference between me not being able to do one, thinking about how I need to do it then getting a few reps in

I took the weekend off and now im back at it again tomorrow il post on here what I do!

• Like 1

@king crusher

since you have that explosiveness I think you can do a muscle up with training. That 'Kali muscle' guy is I think 240 and he can do many muscle ups just not perfect form.

I may try them. I plan on cutting to around 210-215 too. Ill be pretty lean at that weight.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have you guys seen Adam Glass's pinch grip muscle up yet? Holy cow.

yea, very impressive, does anyone know what kind of pinch setup he's been using? I've never seen it before. It seems that the blocks are attached and rotate with the bar? If yes I would imagine that the most difficult part of this is to do an explosive pullup using momentum while maintaining pinch grip, I think that once you start turning the blocks it's more muscle up power and less pinch grip. To me his vids with prolonged bw pinch holds while doing calisthenics and weighted pinch grip pullups are more impressive when it comes to pinch strength. But this is very original I've never seen it being done before, that's why I'm really curious about the pinch setup. I'd love to get one and train for this!

I believe I have seen the blocks slide along the bar in one of his recent videos, so I'm not sure they are attached. I also recall seeing that FBBC made it for him.

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

I also recall seeing that FBBC made it for him.

thanks! I'll contact Andrew!

I talked to Andrew, he told me that Ryan Pitts at Stronger Grip made it for Adam about 6 years ago. The bar is adjustable so that the blocks can move or bolted down. Really cool setup.

• Like 1

Oldest video I've seen of that bar.

• Like 1