Calisthenics / Body Wt Training

Evan Raftopoulos

btw you look in great shape bro! how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?

Morning weight is about 78 kg atm. Trying to see if I can reach 74 kg so I can compete in that weight class as I think I'd be pretty competitive there.

https://instagram.com/p/6Z7B5ZOXKl/

Went to one of the outdoor gyms in my area. Did some muscle up work and then did some combination work where I mixed muscle ups with pullovers and jumping over the bar. Felt pretty smooth. Also worked on doing handstand on top of the bar. But that went so bad I didn't film it. Balancing on top of a straight bar is like a gazillion times harder then doing it on a bar since you can't really use your hands for balance.

• Like 1

btw you look in great shape bro! how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?

Morning weight is about 78 kg atm. Trying to see if I can reach 74 kg so I can compete in that weight class as I think I'd be pretty competitive there.

the 74k class is in trouble (me included) if you do that. Your grip strength/wt ratio is already phenomenal. I think I saw in your instagram before MMSing a 3.5, that's crazy dude, that's mm3 power right there.

https://instagram.com/p/6Z7B5ZOXKl/

Went to one of the outdoor gyms in my area. Did some muscle up work and then did some combination work where I mixed muscle ups with pullovers and jumping over the bar. Felt pretty smooth. Also worked on doing handstand on top of the bar. But that went so bad I didn't film it. Balancing on top of a straight bar is like a gazillion times harder then doing it on a bar since you can't really use your hands for balance.

awesome David, nice combo. Haven't tried the jumping over yet, it looks a bit scary, you better not hit the bar, haha. Trying to do a handstand on top of the bar is no joke either.

some of my latest attempts for OAC with Eagle loops and deadhang with fatgripz (already posted in my training thread)

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

I'd love to see if german volume training and would have any effect on your muscle ups Evan - 10 sets of 10 reps!

that sounds brutal, haven't tried but I don't know if I can even do 5 sets of 5 (I guess it would depend on rest time in between). I don't know if anyone can do 10 sets of 10 reps with short breaks. Muscle ups require a lot of anaerobic capacity which reduces dramatically set after set unless you rest for relatively long time or maybe focus your training specifically for maximizing anaerobic capacity. What I have been doing lately is applying the 'frequent loading' principle. I do them a few times a week couple times per workout in between sets of other exercises (5-10 reps) let's say during grip training and once in a while I do max attempts. I 've also tried weighted muscle ups with my backpack (5-10 lb max) for a few reps but the movement is explosive and not very comfortable with a backpack. I wish I had those weighted vests to test my max.

• Like 1

Dude, the alternating one arm flex hang on the fat gripz looked brutal! Very impressive!

My gripper strength have gone down though. It peaked around the time I deep set closed my 3.5 and it's pretty much declined as I've lost bodyweight. Thankfully my pinch, thick bar, and wrist strength is still pretty much the same. I'm hoping that'll make me more competitive in the overall score.

Dude, the alternating one arm flex hang on the fat gripz looked brutal! Very impressive!

My gripper strength have gone down though. It peaked around the time I deep set closed my 3.5 and it's pretty much declined as I've lost bodyweight. Thankfully my pinch, thick bar, and wrist strength is still pretty much the same. I'm hoping that'll make me more competitive in the overall score.

thanks David.

I'm sure it's challenging maintaining and progressing crushing grip especially if you are trying to loose weight. Look forward to seeing your achievements in the 74k.

I really like the fatgripz OAC because it combines grip strength and pullup power. My impression is that many people who can do OAC don't focus on grip strength so for some this might be more challenging that adding wts. I think I've seen only another vid of someone doing 1 rep, but I think I remember someone from here doing it too with fatgripz or a rolling handle (Michael Hann?). Do you guys know?

Yeah you're right. Nordic Viking has done one too. He weighs like 200lbs, I think.

I'm training to do an RT OAC too.

• Like 1

Yeah you're right. Nordic Viking has done one too. He weighs like 200lbs, I think.

I'm training to do an RT OAC too.

Rolling thunder must be even more difficult than fatgripz, right? That's awesome!

here's Mike from 5 years ago!

• Like 1

there's this guy here too. I've seen his vids before,is he on the grip board?

The finish guy has to be the most impressive OAC on the Ironmind Rolling thunder. Does them slow and strict with either arm while at a weight of roughly 90 kg. Damn, I should know his name but it has slipped my mind at this moment!

Tomi Kujala was his name! Here's him doibg it on a new model RT handle

https://youtu.be/1jPx5_c_9Ow

oh yes, I've seen his vids before, including the 206lb weighted chin up!

this is a recent attempt of mine at the end of my workout

• 1 month later...

Today I made a parralettes bar :grin: Only need to paint it :)

IMG_20151010_1618311_zpsx9txvjjc.jpg

I need this for my handstand programm.

Rens

Edited by Rens
  • Like 2

Nice! I tried making some parallettes out of what I thought were PVC pipes. Turns out they were polypropylene and were way to soft. Tried to do a handstand and they just folded and I ended up landing on my face lol. Didn't get hurt luckily. Apart from my wallet after buying a bunch of stuff I won't need and can no longer return to the store.

• Like 1

Nice! I tried making some parallettes out of what I thought were PVC pipes. Turns out they were polypropylene and were way to soft. Tried to do a handstand and they just folded and I ended up landing on my face lol. Didn't get hurt luckily. Apart from my wallet after buying a bunch of stuff I won't need and can no longer return to the store.

David,

Thanks! First I would make my parralette from steel (Galvanised nipples with 90's/elbows) This tubes can you screw into each other. But I looked for the prices of the tubes and they were verry expensive in my opinion.

That's why I decided to make it from wood (verry cheap) You only need wood, glue, saw, some screws, screwdrivers. And you can make one for cheap.

I also don't thrust PVC (don't want to make a faceplant haha :grin: )