Lifting Belt

KRC

Any suggestions on brand or prong vs. lever? I have a 13mm double prong which is way, way too much belt for me. It's really solid--it's not leather and I think it's TOO solid. Has barely broken in at all in over a year.

I'm gonna go with 10mm and am interested in your thoughts on lever vs. prongs and brands. Thanks in advance.

I like the single prong belt. Double prong is just too much hassle and not necessary. Vs the lever it is just preference. Personally I like to have the option of having the belt lose for some lifts or exercises and being able to really crank down on it for a max effort.

I don't think you can go wrong with an Inzer belt. They are stiff as I am just starting to get my 10mm broke in after about 8 months of use but you want that because the belt will keep form for years to come.

If you only rely on use while exercising to break your belt in, a 13mm is going to take a long time to get where you want it. Rolling it up both ways regularly will speed up the breaking in process and leaving it rolled up with large twist ties to hold it helps too. Just give it some time, I am looking at some bruises on my hips left from using my belt right now!

I have a lever belt and I love it. especially if your doing strongman/highland games outside it can be a pain to get a prong belt tight enough. also, there may be times(medley) where you would want a belt for something but not want the restricted breathing. the lever is ideal for this. I'll never go back to a prong belt.

I went with the Inzer 10mm lever belt last year. it broke in very quick and is very adjustable for weight gains or losses.

Now I find it easy to get it tight by myself. Easy on easy off as well.

I think I paid around $70 shipped. Took a few weeks because of the custom color I got, but was well worth the wait.

inzer-lever-belt-13mm.jpg

• 3 years later...

I'm now in the market for a belt. My Valeo velcro belt shit the bed mid squat last week, :cry , I know, big surprise.

I know the 10mm Inzer lever belt has been mentioned, and I might go with that, but are there any other recent recommendations?

I know Rippetoe recommends Best Belts. I've also been looking at the Rogue Ohio Lifting Belt.

As far as the kind of lifting I do, it's just regular barbell/powerlifting stuff. Squat, press, pull, repeat.

I've had/have 4 Inzer belts and they are excellent. I've had both the 2- and 1-prong belts and prefer the 2. I had a lever belt and ended up selling it. Definitely prefer the prong over lever.

• Like 1

I've been pretty happy with the Ohio Lifting belt. I looked into getting the Inzer single prong and the wait time was like 12 weeks so I got the Ohio and I have been happy with it for the past year.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-lifting-belt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up with the Athlete belt from Dean & Jackie Best.

I have a custom single prong and would stick with single prong for general and deadlift use. I haven't owned a lever belt (but have borrowed one) but would love to use one for heavy low rep squats.

Cannot tell you the brand of my preferred belt, but it's neither lever nor standart prong.

Like a lot of belts used to keep your pants up it has the prongs as a immovable parts of the buckle, being stuck into the holes from the outside, compared to "from the inside" with the standart version. It is easier to close, can easily be opened by your pinkie and doesn't push the inside end of the belt into your stomach/ T-shirt like a lever belt does. Never opened unintended, been in regular use since May 1993.

Also own an Inzer lever belt, prefer the other one!

I have the inzer 10mm lever. I actually just adjusted it out a notch looser. It only takes two min with a small flathead. Or a quarter could be used I supposed. Ate too many burgers I guesss haha.

I can see where a single prong could be nice too. But not enough for me to buy and own two belts.

Edited by king crusher