Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Monday 20 december I had the results of my MRI in the hospital, and the pictures show nada, nothing!

This is very frustrating for me because I hoped that there could be a diagnosis made. Lately I also feel

more regression than progressing with my griptraining. In other words, I'm going to stop all of my weighttraining

for now. It took me a long time to make this decision because the last two years I've been working hard to closing the

#3 which I did in august this year. From there on I wanted to close the thing CCS and I almost did. All this time I had troubles

with my rightarm. There's something in the bicep/elbow/underarm that´s not right. My goal in training is to get stronger and not

to get weaker so that I feel pain when I´m lifting my children from the ground. I will completely stop training and focus on getting

the injury gone first. Maybe I´ll do some running and abs but that´s it, not griptraining anymore. This injury is getting into my head and that´s not good.

I WILL start my training and griptraining again but for now, I´ll take at least two months off from any form of weighttraining. I know

this is the best thing I can do for myself right now.

Thanks guys for reading this traininglog, it will be continued!

Have a happy holidays man. This is only a stepping stone to great things..."tough times don't last, tough people do." Rest up and you will be back when it's time :rock

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday evening I couldn't resist. Chalked up and decided to see what was in the tank after rest from december 16th.

Last week I was sick and caught the flu, since thursday out of bed again where I left a lot of sweat. So I was wondering if this

had made my hands weaker. I still feel my arm sometimes but discovered that the sore spot is behind my lower triceps. Tomorrow to the hospital

again for the next appointment, the doctor is very keen on finding what it can be.

Chalked up and decided to try my Vulcan handgripper. Creditcardset closes. Every minute one close and then level up.

So that's (batch 7, gold spring) notches 1-1 (level3) CCS, one minute rest, notches 1-2 (level 4) CCS, one minute rest,

etc. I ended up closing it at level 12, notches 4-4 CCS. But just with R, L fail (2mm perhaps). So that were 10 good CCS closes

in 10 minutes from COC#1 comparison till #3. Level 12 is begin level #3 according to the comparison that's made.

So I wasn't dissapointed with this (although a revisioned tabel says its #3 from level 13).

Anyway, MMS I maybe could've gotten a bit higher if I didn't do so many CCS, but it was just a test.

Today I did some light bench work, no problems there. I'll see how my arm feels tomorrow. don't want to irritate it offcourse.

Got my shot of griptraining again phew! :whistel

Edited by Geralt

Yesterday evening I couldn't resist. Chalked up and decided to see what was in the tank after rest from december 16th.

Last week I was sick and caught the flu, since thursday out of bed again where I left a lot of sweat. So I was wondering if this

had made my hands weaker. I still feel my arm sometimes but discovered that the sore spot is behind my lower triceps. Tomorrow to the hospital

again for the next appointment, the doctor is very keen on finding what it can be.

Chalked up and decided to try my Vulcan handgripper. Creditcardset closes. Every minute one close and then level up.

So that's (batch 7, gold spring) notches 1-1 (level3) CCS, one minute rest, notches 1-2 (level 4) CCS, one minute rest,

etc. I ended up closing it at level 12, notches 4-4 CCS. But just with R, L fail (2mm perhaps). So that were 10 good CCS closes

in 10 minutes from COC#1 comparison till #3. Level 12 is begin level #3 according to the comparison that's made.

So I wasn't dissapointed with this (although a revisioned tabel says its #3 from level 13).

Anyway, MMS I maybe could've gotten a bit higher if I didn't do so many CCS, but it was just a test.

Today I did some light bench work, no problems there. I'll see how my arm feels tomorrow. don't want to irritate it offcourse.

Got my shot of griptraining again phew! :whistel

Good to see you got your fix! Nice slow start. Hope the repairs are going as planned.

Thanks boys.

Yesterday been to the hospital, where I came into a room with 4 guys looking very interested to my arm. To make a long story short,

they can't find anything. Not on echo and not on MRI, the doctor that saw me and was leading, suggested that I maybe could have a small nerve entrapment,

although I don't have the most complications that such an diagnose would give. So it's going to be a new appointment, this time they are sending me to a plastic surgeon (Yes that's right) who is more familiair with nerve entrapments and such. Frankly, I don't believe that it's something like that, but who knows. I definitly want a good diagnose before there will be any cutting haha! Good thing is that I believe that the resting has done me good and I'm now trying to start my griptraining with a lot of massaging afterwards. Let's see what it does. Upper body training

I am taking very slow at this moment. Don't want to rush in.

TRAINING: this evening.

COC#1 L and R 5 singles not set close;

Warm up light squats 10xATG;

Vulcan level 12 (4-4 notch) 20mm blockset R closed L Almost almost almost closed. Takes some time getting used to setting the Vulcan, wider spread;

squats 10x;

Vulcan level 13 (4-5 notch) 20mm blockset R closed but just! L level 12 20mm blockset closed but just!;

squats 10x;

Vulcan level 13 R 20mm lockset had the feeling that it didn't close fully (half a mm), couldn't see it. ..;

L level 12 20 mm block set, the same;

squats 10x

R COC #3.5 without choker, set and very intense MM attempt, turned into negative. Held it fairly beyond parallel for 6 - 8 secs;

L COC #3 choked, almost closed! turned into negative;

some light shoulder work (seated press with barbell, otherwise I'm hitting the barbell through the ceiling);

Same with the before mentioned COC's;

repeated this cycle another time;

Did some lighter settings 2 strapholds L and R with my Vulcan with 0.5 kg's;

Some thumb work with my pony clamp, ordered thumbscrews this weekend for using my gripper for thumbpadtraining;

Ended with some leverage work with my big wooden hammer. Enough for tonight, felt with leverage work my sore spot a bit,

so I did a lot of massage work after this and put on a lot of tiger balm, in fact, used a bit to much, my dog who was

just lying next to me just walked away sneezing. I'm now getting a very destructive look. Sorry my friend. < <

Been busy with work lately and had a very nice weekend in Amsterdam with an old buddy of mine, so here's an update of the last few days.

14-01 (last Friday), I trained a quick session with my Vulcan, nothing that special to report, mostly block sets around level 12.

Ended with a few negatives with #3.5 R and #3 L. Also two holds on my SW.

16-01 (Sunday) In the evening I decided to try and film an MM0 close. Tried one time to film from under but had some troubles with lightfall,

so I filmed a close from the side. My wife saw it was closed, but when you look it back it's in fact a very crappy take :( . With that take the

battery also gave it up on me :whacked Still, I send it to Wanna, and got the answer I expected :blush. Well, next time better. My wife

will take a shot later on and film my next time. With that last take my hands also were wasted, started training recently again and training every other day stays

heavy for my hands.

Today: Got some thumbtraining equipment for my Vulcan today, so I had to oblige :yikes Put them one my COC#1 and now my thumbs are NUMB!

great for developing some thumbpads! Going to end every session with more thumb training.

Further a warmup with my Vulcan till level 12, then two MM attempts on my #3, both closed, third time my handles missed by a hair.

Straphold with my filed #2.5 L and R (2kg), two negatives with my Vulcan level 14 (L) and 15 ( R ). Going to rest now two days at least to

get my MM / parallel work more heavy.

Light benchwork in between, don't want to aggravate my right arm.

Friday next session at the earliest. BTW, a colleague of my has a husband who's a welder, so I discovered. He has some time on his hands so I gave her some specs to show him of a gripmachine. Asked what he could do with that. She would ask him what the costs would be and said that making something like that would be a piece of cake for him, so I'm very curious to what his answer and price will be!

Friday at the earliest my next workout.

Today again, grip combined with bench.

Vulcan warm up L and R 1-1 x 3, 2-2 x 3;

Bench

Between sets, I put my hands in a bucket of very warm water, it really feels nice and keeps the hands red and warm.

Vulcan L 4-4 close, R 4-4 close;

Bench

COC #3 MM set R, closed. asked my wife to film it. Video failed because my set went out of frame. My wife kept standing, next time

she'll film it from under. Oh well, next time better :upsidedwn At least you can see it's closed, I still move to much. Here's the attempt.

My link

Didn't try a next attempt, want to keep my hands fresh for further training.

COC #3 Deep set L, almost closed, turned into negative;

Bench

COC #3.5 deep set R turned into negative, immediately forced my hand open but kept it halfway under parallel;

COC #3 deep set L turned into negative

Vulcan R 5-5 turned into negative, kept it solid closed for a few seconds.

Vulcan L 4-4 almost closed, turned into negative;

Did a few sets of skull crushers for the triceps, combined with 3 sets of 3 - 5 reps with Vulcan, L and R 3-3 (that's around level COC #2.5);

Thumbwork, I'm using a plastic crappy sportsgripper for that, enough resistance for training the thumbpad.

- Fin -

BTW: my colleague her husband couldn't do much with the pictures of the gripmachine I gave him.

I send him now a pic of a basic plate loader with all the measurements in cm's. My colleague said this was much better and

that her husband could certainly do something with that, so if the costs are not that high, I'm really excited in maybe having my

own custom gripmachine soon.

Injury is improving, not doing any pull-work. Seeing a surgeon in februari, he'll try to see what could be / have been the problem,

still using my neutral tiger balm, not to hot:flame not to cold.

Edited by Geralt

You can see the close, just missed the set. Looks like you're able to keep it shut for a bit too. :mosher

New session this evening. Messed around sunday 24-01 evening with my #3.5 a bit (why o why can't I let those things

on the wall a few days :trout ), nothing worth to mention,

but I did notice today it cost me some recovery time, so I didn't feel at top strength this evening.

Monday 25-01 evening: squats in the garage and cleaning the livingroom in between sets, :upsidedwn didn't

want to do anything other than squats. Got sets up till 110 kg's (242 lbs).

This evening:

Bench and grip, did my first pinchsession at the end.

Warm up with Vulcan few sets, notch 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 L and R, closed.

COC #3.5 parallel choked, R got some movement, turned into negative and hold;

COC #3 parallel choked, L closed (but just!) hurray! :rolleyes

COC #3 MM set R, closed, but not convincingly;

COC #3 choked L, missed by a hair;

COC #3 MM set R, closed/missed close by a hair, couldn't see, didn't hear the 'click' I usually hear;

COC #3 MM set L, miss, still a gap, hand's already getting it for tonight.

Vulcan notch 4-5 R, miss, forced closed;

Vulcan notch 4-4 L, miss, forced closed;

Homemade SW (filed the handle), L and R holds with 15kg (33 lbs), second set opened up almost immediatly, but hold

as long as possible.

Did some reps L and R on lower levels with Vulcan.

PINCH:

Did some thumbwork with my thumbscrews as for warm up and tried my first serious pinchsession.

I've made a wooden pinchblock, it's around 60 mm. It feels comfortable at this width.

Few, got my work cut out for me!

Begin 40 kg's, felt easy, then 60 kg's, went up to 83 kg finally, from there I just couldn't get the

weight of the ground any more. Decided to film my lift after that, it's a lift with 80 kg (176,36 lbs),

don't know if it's a good start? Hope that the numbers go up quickly, it feels good as a supplement after my crushgripsession.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMyWuPyB6R8

Edited by Geralt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK8FqzmNOfA

Sorry, this was a test, put up a link of my video in my previous post and was wondering

how you can insert a video with direct view. Ok, like this I see. :D

Congrats on the solid close n hold :mosher The vid will get better practice :tongue Keep going and stay strong :rock

New session this evening. Messed around sunday 24-01 evening with my #3.5 a bit (why o why can't I let those things

on the wall a few days :trout ), nothing worth to mention,

but I did notice today it cost me some recovery time, so I didn't feel at top strength this evening.

Monday 25-01 evening: squats in the garage and cleaning the livingroom in between sets, :upsidedwn didn't

want to do anything other than squats. Got sets up till 110 kg's (242 lbs).

This evening:

Bench and grip, did my first pinchsession at the end.

Warm up with Vulcan few sets, notch 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 L and R, closed.

COC #3.5 parallel choked, R got some movement, turned into negative and hold;

COC #3 parallel choked, L closed (but just!) hurray! :rolleyes

COC #3 MM set R, closed, but not convincingly;

COC #3 choked L, missed by a hair;

COC #3 MM set R, closed/missed close by a hair, couldn't see, didn't hear the 'click' I usually hear;

COC #3 MM set L, miss, still a gap, hand's already getting it for tonight.

Vulcan notch 4-5 R, miss, forced closed;

Vulcan notch 4-4 L, miss, forced closed;

Homemade SW (filed the handle), L and R holds with 15kg (33 lbs), second set opened up almost immediatly, but hold

as long as possible.

Did some reps L and R on lower levels with Vulcan.

PINCH:

Did some thumbwork with my thumbscrews as for warm up and tried my first serious pinchsession.

I've made a wooden pinchblock, it's around 60 mm. It feels comfortable at this width.

Few, got my work cut out for me!

Begin 40 kg's, felt easy, then 60 kg's, went up to 83 kg finally, from there I just couldn't get the

weight of the ground any more. Decided to film my lift after that, it's a lift with 80 kg (176,36 lbs),

don't know if it's a good start? Hope that the numbers go up quickly, it feels good as a supplement after my crushgripsession.

Nice job Man ! :mosher

Just finished a new training session.

Between grip I did some squatwork. Here we go.

Warmup with Vulcan L and R with singles CCS, up till level 10;

Vulcan L and R single MMS level 12, both shut.

Vulcan R single MMS level 13, shut.

IM#3 MMS R, closed. Filmed this one.

IM#3 MMS L, it's starting to get somewhere, there's a very Very small gap.

Vulcan R single MMS level 14, nearly closed....forced close last mm.

Vulcan L single MMS level 13, not even close. forced close.

I always try to keep my forced closes at least 5 secs and I Mash MAsh MASh MASH! the handles :devil

Tried to squeeze my choked IM#3.5, but hands are wasted for crush.

Homemade SW L and R 3 timed holds with 15 kg (app. 33 lbs) for around 10 secs.

PINCH:

Wooden block 6 cm, 80 kgs, but hands are getting already tired...

So decided to go lighter and make sets. 4 reps 75kg, 5 reps 70 kgs.

Wooden block 8,5 cm, 75 kg's, good lift but taxes my tendons so I felt, went lighter for reps.

70, 65 en 50 kg's.

Then repping my crappy plastic gripper with thumbscrews attached with both L and R hand.

Session felt good, ended with some lever work with my big wooden hammer.

Have to watch out not to overdo it with my right arm, but as long as I don't do any pulling work i.e. bicep work,

it's ok.

Great post Geralt, even more so for newbies like me - it's good to see both methods and progress you make, keep up the great work

Thanks SG, and so we are helping each other around here. That's how it works :upsidedwn

Just finished tonight's session.

Squats between the gripper singles, worked with Vulcan and choked IM#3. Guys, I can really say that working with an adjustable

gripper is very good! For me it really helps getting further in small steps.

The following singles:

Warm-up notches 1-1,2-2 and 3-3 CCS L and R;

R deep set 5-4 (level 14, between IM#3 and 3.5) closed and held firmly closed for at least 5 secs,

L choked IM#3, closed, but just...;

Next singles repeat, both hands Very very near, forced closed and held shut;

R deep set 5-5 (slight beginning IM#3.5) not closed, but turned into negative and hold. Holds aren't the problem at this point.

L deep set 4-5, same as R;

R 5-6 forced closed but forced my hands open almost immediately (few mm), then forced shut again.

L choked IM#3, turned into negative.

Next decided to use my 'homemade gripmachine', it's just a thin steel bar over my lower squat stands with a shorter piece of steel with a loop of steel wire as a handle, attached to a loadingpin. There are two photo's in my photogallery, you can get the idea. I've put the bar at a height so that the starting position for the close is at CC width. I had to figure out what weight works, came around 45 kg (app 99 lbs) for each hand.

screwed around a bit and finally did 3 sets of 5. Feels a bit different than grippers, but it puts my hands in a very disadvantageous position, the same

as the CC set. This feels like a good assisting exercise working the full range at the end of a session where I primarily worked small (20mm) range with grippers.

Finally finished with a few sets with pinchwork, 60mm block, 2 sets of 5 with 50 and 65 kgs, after that singles up to 80 kg's (app 172lbs).

Quite happy with that, given the crush work before.

Ended the session with some thumb-pinching on sportsgripper and with my Vulcan on the easiest level.

I can feel my tendons a bit now, more than my muscles actually, so the work was done to the fullest at this point.

Friday evening new session at the earliest, planning to add some straphold work then.

Edited by Geralt

Glad to see you're back at it. And taking the smart route as well. You'll be stronger in the long run, that's a fact.

Thanks Daniel. Less is more at this point. 2 good sessions per week does the trick at this moment. If it feels ok, I reckon it is ok.

This evening's session.

#1 Crush with bench

Between gripper singles bench. Bench warm up with reps and than going to singles, up to 110 kg (242 lbs), carefully building up.

after that between grip work more reps with bench at lighter weight and some tricep isolation work. Not that much though.

Vulcan singles L and R 1-1 till 3-3, last level VERY intense crush as last warm up;

Vulcan single (deep set)R 5-5 (between IM#3 and #3.5)fairly beyond parallel, then forced closed;

Vulcan single (deep set)L 4-5 (mid #3)fairly beyond parallel, then forced closed;

Vulcan single (deep set) R 5-4 (level 14 hard #3) Closed! It helps before getting to a PR in a session to shoot first at a harder gripper I noticed.

Vulcan single (deep set) L 4-4 (Easy #3) Closed! This is starting to work, I'm getting consistent now each session, although it's just for a few closes

before strength is getting lower.

Repeated last two R and L singles one notch lower, both again closed;

Vulcan reps L and R 3-3 / 2-2, for max. 5 reps, hands are getting waisted for crush. Focus on closing the gripper as fast and explosive as possible.

It's not that hands are getting tired because of many reps, but I put a LOT of intensity in the singles. My wife came in the garage while I was doing a single

and she was afraid my head would explode! :yikes

#2 Homemade gripmachine

Changed my setup a bit, I now have the setup like Kinney in the youtube promovideo of 'get a grip', pulling the weight in with my fingers

with my handpalms away from my body. I'm going to do reps on this one, for a total of 4 sets of 5 reps. Tried this at 100 kg (220 lbs),

was to heavy, went to 80 kg's (176lbs). This was still quite heavy in this rep total. Had to brace my body firmly to the steel bar.

These reps are intense! Underarm felt wasted! Even the IM#1 feels heavy now in the

close! So this setup is good. Going to incorporate this definitely! Feels better then my SW at this point.

#3 pinch

60 mm block, 4 x 5 reps 60 kg (132lbs), lifting as fast as possible, not heavy I know, but the rep work was quite challenging.

Was a bit tired when starting the session and that's starting to kick in now.

Ended with some thumb work, thumbscrew closes/reps L and R on my plastic gripper.

Edited by Geralt

This evening's session.

#1 Crush with bench

Between gripper singles bench. Bench warm up with reps and than going to singles, up to 110 kg (242 lbs), carefully building up.

after that between grip work more reps with bench at lighter weight and some tricep isolation work. Not that much though.

Vulcan singles L and R 1-1 till 3-3, last level VERY intense crush as last warm up;

Vulcan single (deep set)R 5-5 (between IM#3 and #3.5)fairly beyond parallel, then forced closed;

Vulcan single (deep set)L 4-5 (mid #3)fairly beyond parallel, then forced closed;

Vulcan single (deep set) R 5-4 (level 14 hard #3) Closed! It helps before getting to a PR in a session to shoot first at a harder gripper I noticed.

Vulcan single (deep set) L 4-4 (Easy #3) Closed! This is starting to work, I'm getting consistent now each session, although it's just for a few closes

before strength is getting lower.

Repeated last two R and L singles one notch lower, both again closed;

Vulcan reps L and R 3-3 / 2-2, for max. 5 reps, hands are getting waisted for crush. Focus on closing the gripper as fast and explosive as possible.

It's not that hands are getting tired because of many reps, but I put a LOT of intensity in the singles. My wife came in the garage while I was doing a single

and she was afraid my head would explode! :yikes

#2 Homemade gripmachine

Changed my setup a bit, I now have the setup like Kinney in the youtube promovideo of 'get a grip', pulling the weight in with my fingers

with my handpalms away from my body. I'm going to do reps on this one, for a total of 4 sets of 5 reps. Tried this at 100 kg (220 lbs),

was to heavy, went to 80 kg's (176lbs). This was still quite heavy in this rep total. Had to brace my body firmly to the steel bar.

These reps are intense! Underarm felt wasted! Even the IM#1 feels heavy now in the

close! So this setup is good. Going to incorporate this definitely! Feels better then my SW at this point.

#3 pinch

60 mm block, 4 x 5 reps 60 kg (132lbs), lifting as fast as possible, not heavy I know, but the rep work was quite challenging.

Was a bit tired when starting the session and that's starting to kick in now.

Ended with some thumb work, thumbscrew closes/reps L and R on my plastic gripper.

Good workout bro. The intensity of the gripper closes does make a huge difference. Exposive all out closes are the only way to go, unless it's a overcrush hold, and even still you need to crush as hard as possible for the set time. Glad to see PRs and strong workouts in your log. Keep it up.

Great reading! I might post a training diary later as I progress and increase in strenght.

As of today I only have 4 grippers, RB's, 130, 160, 180, 210 and I can't close the RB180 yet..

Pardon my newbie question but, what is CCS?

Im getting a hose-clamp today..

I did my third gripper-workout yesterday and it was like this;

Warmup with my arms in hot water a couple of minutes.

2x4 each hand on my RB130.

Stretching.

LH 1 RH 2, LH 1 RH 2, LH forced 2 RH 2 on my RB160.

Squeezing my RB180 3 x 8 seconds with each hand. Unable to close it. Came just beyond paralell.

Then I did the same with my RB210 3 x 5 seconds with each hand. Handles paralell.

3 x 5 second negatives on my RB180 with each hand.

Finished the gripper-workout with my RB130 doing 22,22,12 with each hand - some cheating occurred :P

Then levering with a modified barbell weighing 7 kg. Handle about the lenght of my forearm.

Then rubberband exstensions.

THen I took a bar and did 3 x 12 with 36 kg wristcurl and then reversed wrist curl with 26 kg 3 x 12

What did I do right and what did I do wrong? Tips?

Today my forearms and grip feels tired and pumped but no bad pain what so ever..

Thanks for posting a training diary, it helps me a whole lot!

Edited by NewGrippster

Hey man, I'm glad you like my log, I don't have the feeling that I'm doing something special here, since I'm also only just beginning to get the

hang of it in basics. Well, since you are beginning with grippers, I really would advice you NOT to do to much work with negatives and other stuff that's demanding

a lot of your tendons. Your muscles can response well to that maybe, but believe me, under those muscles there's a lot of connective tissue that needs a LONG period to

grow stronger. Don't forget that you are already using your hands everyday!

In general I think a session would need a start with warm up, medium gripwork after that, than max efforts and than some assisting exercises.

I'm not familiar with RB grippers, but in the beginning I would do some more rep work at 70-80% max and some wrist exercises. Leverage is work is good.

There's a lot written on this matter, dive in this board and you will find a LOT of information!

After a while you could start with some max efforts, negatives and holds maybe, with a gripper JUST a bit tougher than your goal gripper. In my experience not able to close the #3 and doing negatives on the #4 didn't work. The idea works, but the difference was to big. An adjustable gripper would be good for this. Grippersuperstore sells a good one and there are also a lot of other places to find good stuff. It's worth the investment!

It takes a lot of time to find out what works for you...you will see. Good luck with your training buddy, hope to see some nice vids in the future of your goalgripper closes (and other gripwork offcourse...)