Seeking Allround Grippower

Grind

Have some bad triggerpoints in both my arms and some inflammations. I think it's due to a balance problem (weak extensors). I began searching for a solution to balance my forearm and hand training. Have not done anything for almost two weeks and started doing ball rotations with golfballs and roll-ups with a towel. I'm noticing already some dexterity improvement.

At this moment I still can't do any gripperwork. Making a fist with my hands is also painful.

Since you seem to be quite handy, have you considered tapping the handles for inserting an extended handle? Could be very beneficial.

What would be beneficial about working with extended handles if I can adjust the workload already with the adjustable grippers?

Edited by Grind

• 1 month later...

Hand injury is still active. I'm in therapy and focus on restoring hand-coordination of the small muscles. Doing all day long some reverse curls with a pink 1kg dumbbell :grin:.

Just received some shot put balls 80mm/2kg and 95mm/3kg. Two 65mm/1kg balls and a third 50mm ball still to come.

I'm using the 50mm and 65mm balls to preform rotations with my fingers only and the neutral and supinated hand position.

Ball rotation

many x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) pronated + thumb

many x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) pronated - thumb

20 x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) neutral

10 x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) supinated

10 x 2 balls (80mm / 2kg) clockwise

10 x 2 balls (80mm / 2kg) counter clockwise

• Like 1

Rated my last gripper, Elite.

156 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 10mm)

159 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 8mm)
162 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 7mm)
165 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 6mm)
168 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 5mm)
171 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 4mm)
175 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 3mm)
180 BBE (ADJUSTABLE / 1,5mm)
Total range adjustable grippers 110lb ~ 180lb.
Edited by Grind

Ball rotation

many x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) pronated + thumb

many x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) pronated - thumb

20 x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) neutral

10 x 2 balls (50mm / 0,5kg) supinated

2 x 10 x 2 balls (80mm / 2kg) clockwise

2 x 10 x 2 balls (80mm / 2kg) counter clockwise

20 x 2 balls (80mm / 2kg) clockwise

20 x 2 balls (80mm / 2kg) counter clockwise

Touwel rollup

Edited by Grind

• 1 month later...

Thnx for asking Geralt.

It's bad I'm only doing rehab (some months now) at the moment, can't train anymore.

Forearm problem is partly due to rotator cuff weakness and that is due to low back problems (chain).

Forearm rehab consist of doing wrist curls with only 1kg dumbbell and that is to heavy because my muscles can't control the weight slowly.

I'm guessing it will be at least some more months before I can start real training again.

Wow.....dude I didn't know you had it that bad! I have been dealing with injuries a lot and I can only hope that you will experience the same, just doing what you can do, avoiding stress on the sore spots. The body is amazing but nfortunatly doesn't heal as fast as we want it to. You have had help and good advice from you therapist? You were talking about handtherapy. Every injury is different, get this one out of the way man, it will heal, I'm sure. What do you think triggered the problem?

Uhhh it started with a deadlift injury in a strongman competition in 2010. Training after this went slow but steady. What I did not notice was that my pelvis was tilted sideways and about 6 of 7 times I had a fallback in training. I blamed this due to triggerpoints and had some years of therapy to get rid of those. But after 2 years hard work they seemed to reappear, I could not get rid of them.

Indeed I went to a hand-therapist and she asked if I had shoulder problems and indeed I have. These injuries correlate and I have to solve all the back and shoulder problems if I want to get rid of the forearm problems. She did some physical tests and said that the problem isn't the triggerpoints but weak muscles. So now I need to train these small muscles and build up from there.

It was a wonder that I managed to squat 180kg and have a fallback and in a periode of 1 year was able to get back to this point again. The core muscle imbalance made me fall back when the big muscles got stronger again and this cycle went on and on. If I want I can train like this some more years but this is not a wise thing to do. I must get rid of my ego and for the first time in years train these small coordinating muscles to get healthy again.

That is very true, I have the same, my posture is ready for injury when I start to load the weight. When you train alone at home it is hard to keep watching form and work on other exercises as well to maintain proper balance in rear shoulders and back. Mostly it's in the end of the workout and it's mostly down with low effort. Also time is a factor. As we get older we probably are getting wiser like the saying heh

Hope you heal up soon bro, I never squatted that much weight, so I have a lot to go for after this cert lol

TC

• 1 month later...

My latest aditions to my grip collection.
Got two tetting gripers, one made adjustable.

96lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 10mm) 
99lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 8mm) 
101lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 7mm) 
103lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 6mm) 
105lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 5mm) 
107lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 4mm) 
109lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 3mm) 
111lb – BBM (verstelbaar - 1,5mm) 
203lb – BBSE

Also some Glob trainers 12 and 15cm.

large.56bcca8467c3a_Handling15cmglob.jpg

Yeah I think you're right, haven't put any weight on them yet.
Hope that magnesium will stick on the surface, if not I'm thinking to put the crinkle paint on them as I did on my hub and blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Have decided that it would be wise to purchase the armaid at my current crippled condition. 
My arms feel so much better after a few sessions. Next thursday I will finally get some dry needling in my forearms. I feel I will be picking up gripwork soon.

I also have some new grip toys that will arrive soon, will keep you updated. :D

• Like 1

I like the Armaid very much. It is a good investment. It helped me heal my elbow conditions.

• Like 1

On 26 februari 2016 at 6:26 PM, Jörg Keilbach said:

I like the Armaid very much. It is a good investment. It helped me heal my elbow conditions.

I'm a fan, really a great device. 

On 26 februari 2016 at 3:19 PM, Grind said:

I also have some new grip toys that will arrive soon, will keep you updated. :D

Friend of mine made me an Inch trainer handle. Really content with it. :D
M24 thread, will use 30mm plates. Aluminium sleeve (30x3mm) will be used so the plates will fit and protect the thread. 

Inch trainer handle 2.jpg

Inch trainer handle.jpg

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

That handle looks like a beauty!!!

Looks nice! Ehm stupid question, but you need to slide it over a 30mm bar right? 

7 hours ago, Peter Brannstrom said:

That handle looks like a beauty!!!

Thnx Peter

21 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Looks nice! Ehm stupid question, but you need to slide it over a 30mm bar right? 

Thnx Geralt,

It will use a thread to bolt the plates to the handle so it will act just like a inch bell dumbbell.
I will post some pics later of the assembly but this video from Andrew will make things clear I think. 

I have the FBBC pro bell. It is a great tool!

Dry-needling session last thursday was a good one. He only needled the shoulder and the lats but the pain went straight to my forearms (ulnar side). Really strange to feel such a direct correlation between these problem area's. 

Today I did some ball rotations and picked up some grippers. I managed to close my trainer 61lb without pain. It felt disappointingly heavy the first reps. Last set felt easy thank god. 

On 3 maart 2016 at 4:41 PM, Geralt said:

I get it, looks like a cool idea, have fun! 

On 3 maart 2016 at 4:53 PM, Jörg Keilbach said:

I have the FBBC pro bell. It is a great tool!

I really got excited about the inch lift. Looking forward to start training with it. 

Had another needling session, lats were full of triggerpoints.
Also did a gripper session, closed my #1 (80lb) both left and right hand. Had a lot of trouble with the #1.5 (87lb), lost a lot of power. 

On 3 maart 2016 at 4:41 PM, Geralt said:

I get it, looks like a cool idea, have fun! 

Finished the dumbbell. Here you can see the m24 thread with the 30mm aluminium sleeve on it. 
30mm plates fit perfect. 

large.2a7h8v9.jpg.png.8dd3f66a80b6a44184large.343g8rt.jpg-2.png.fed30723dd495e33

• Like 2

BEASTLY looking bell!!! that will give you a lot of fun and hard times for sure! :D

• Like 1

Thnx Peter, I must admit that I'm getting a little bit scared of the BEASTLY bell. ;)

Today I received my order from SILARUKOV from Russia. These tools feel very solid.
- Wrist wrench / strap handle 60mm
- Rolling handle 60mm + 76mm
- Loading pin 50mm
- Orbigrip
- Hammer handle 50mm

SILARUKOV.png

SILARUKOV1.png

• Like 1