Perfect Selection Of Events For You

Eric Roussin

What would you consider to be your “near perfect” combination of events in a grip contest? That is, which five events would get you really excited about competing in a contest because they align with your particular strengths?

I’ll start off:

1. Rolling Thunder
  2. Anvil Horn Simulator (any)
  3. DO Axle
  4. 2” V-bar
  5. Light gripper for reps

I will never compete in a grip comp, but just for fun let me tell you what I'd find to be almost ideal:

1. A pinch event, the 2HP is good as people use their ideal width and just pinch whatever they can.

2. Grippers, using a block of whatever width but preferably between 20-30mm to mostly eliminate hand-size related complains.

3. 1 hand deadlift on a perfectly straight olympic bar, WITHOUT a hook grip. I find this to be a very pure test of grip strength with a very common piece of equipment. Also bodyweight is usually not a limiting factor when not using the hook.

4. A wrist event, but these are all so hard to judge... something like the Front Weaver or similar, using a sledgehammer perhaps, something of this nature.

And no thickbar of any kind :D

(in no particular order)

DO axle or Rolling Thunder

Anvil Horn Carry (with a real anvil, for distance, OR, with a simulator at a set weight)

Hub lift

Silver Bullet hold

And maybe Blob carry for distance.

1. support grip (1" diameter bar) timed-hold

2. two hands pinch

3. parallel-choked grippers

4.hammer levering to the nose

5.reverse grip bending

I didn't want to be too redundant with the list, but if it was all timed events, particularly thinner handles and pinch, that would be my ideal performance wise.

And fun topic, by the way!

I enjoy these events but these are not necessarily “my” favorites - but they are ones I have received positive comments on from my Gripmas Carol contests.

Parallel Choked Grippers – people either love them or hate them – only a few are neutral with them. No hand size issues to argue about – no blocks to fumble around with – doesn’t matter how skilled you are setting or how strong you are with your off hand. It’s as pure a test of your one hand crushing power as I can find. I have never liked grippers but since the advent of the IM forum and seeing how bats… crazy grippers make people – I may never have them in a contest again.

Two Hand Pinch – normal rules – probably the most popular event in grip sport – it still takes far too long as an event though in a contest setting. I want to try an adjustable one hand pinch event some time also – testing both hands of course.

Supported Two Hand Adjustable Sledge Lever in the “rack” I built – from a dead stop, no bounce possible. Brutally painful and hard but some sort of wrist test is necessary for a complete grip strength test in my mind – a slight modification is needed to the rack but that’s easy to do. The Weaver Stick was popular but hard to judge – the sledge lever done this way wasn’t too bad to judge. I personally like the reverse bending but find it somewhat dangerous as it has injured me a couple times now. I would really like to find a rotational wrist strength test that was easy to judge and hard to cheat – I’m working on this one.

Medleys – by far the most popular events ever held at Gripmas – diverse – hard – heavy – weird lifts – strange objects – you name it – it’s probably been included. I try to make it a mini contest in itself. A truly massive Medley set up properly would make for a really fun (and quick) contest.

Edited by climber511

1. support grip (1" diameter bar) timed-hold

2. two hands pinch

3. parallel-choked grippers

4.hammer levering to the nose

5.reverse grip bending

I didn't want to be too redundant with the list, but if it was all timed events, particularly thinner handles and pinch, that would be my ideal performance wise.

And fun topic, by the way!

This would be my perfect list as well except for me I'd do a max weight hub lift rather than the gripper close. Then they would highlight what would be "ideal" for me.

Face Lever, any Hub events, Grippers, Plateau Buster or any other 1H 1" bar lift, Block Weights (in that order).

I would really like to find a rotational wrist strength test that was easy to judge and hard to cheat – I’m working on this one

David Horne has a new Lever Top for his Grip Topz apparatus. Looks pretty cool.

Or you could use a short-handled sledge set up on a table or other tall surface and contest it in a similar fashion to the face levers; arms flush with the table (stipulate that elbows and wrist must stay flush throughout the lift, etc.) start the lift, finish. Daniel and others have had similar items in medleys.

It seems like it would be kind of difficult though based on the max weight being lifted as low as it would be. Can't imagine it would go anywhere near 20lbs even. Half pound jumps maybe? Either way I'd love to have a rotational wrist event in a comp. Or any wrist event for that matter :)

Face Lever, any Hub events, Grippers, Plateau Buster or any other 1H 1" bar lift, Block Weights (in that order).
I would really like to find a rotational wrist strength test that was easy to judge and hard to cheat – I’m working on this one

David Horne has a new Lever Top for his Grip Topz apparatus. Looks pretty cool.

Or you could use a short-handled sledge set up on a table or other tall surface and contest it in a similar fashion to the face levers; arms flush with the table (stipulate that elbows and wrist must stay flush roughout the lift, etc.) start the lift, finish. Daniel and others have had similar items in medleys.

It seems like it would be kind of difficult though based on the max weight being lifted as low as it would be. Can't imagine it would go anywhere near 20lbs even. Half pound jumps maybe? Either way I'd love to have a rotational wrist event in a comp. Or any wrist event for that matter :)

I had a rotational sledge in my Medley this year. Nine and a quarter pound head (weight added to an 8# hammer) on a 31" handle done inside and outside. My personal best is a 10# sledge rotation in and out on the floor. But I can't do it really strict - my wrist comes off the floor. But it's getting better it seems.