290 Lb Suitcase Deadlift

wulfgeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7q9XnSqbx8 I don't know if this is any good (being that I do it on a farmer's handle--block weight lift), But I am happy with myself.

• Like 1

Great job,

Farmers Deadlift was an event at this past Michigan Grip Championships if you are curious about a frame of reference...but of course you are only doing one side so that makes it extra tough on the core!

Good work!

Thanks man! I was literally thinking about your 300lb one arm barbell deadlift when I did that. I was like: "Holy @#$%!!! I can't imagine doing this on something that spins!!!"

Awesome!!!

Great job,

Farmers Deadlift was an event at this past Michigan Grip Championships if you are curious about a frame of reference...but of course you are only doing one side so that makes it extra tough on the core!

Good work.

Seems like an awkward and hard lift doing it only one side.

I appreciate you guys taking a look!

@Frank Pizzo, I tried to find I actually switch back and forth between the one hand and the double lift versions. I will lift as much as I can with the one hand version to toughen my skin, train my grip, core, and strengthen the connective tissue of my arm and upper back. Then I will switch to the double lift version and try to get somewhere close to the single in both hands, but as it is very taxing, I have to go do something else as I get near what I could do with one hand. Once I am healed up I can repeat. I am kind-of hoping this will translate to deadlifting heavier barbells, and bending bigger horseshoes--It would be nice to push my deadlift to 500 lbs and bend an advanced level shoe. But we shall see. . .

Also, I looked at the 2013 Michigan grip championships, and I couldn't find anything about farmers handle deadlifts. I also could not find even find the 2012 thread--assuming there is one? I should very much like to locate that information. Could you post a link?

@Royz, I started with 110lbs on the front, suitcase, and a version of the one arm hack lift (I will come back to training that last one), and just worked my way up. I can do side raises with 200lbs on this sucker so this really doesn't feel that awkward to me. Classic case of the body getting used to the idiotic things people make it do. Really though, I haven't seen anything about anyone lifting over 225 lbs on a barbell in the suitcase style, and as I need some strong obliques to bend horseshoes, I thought: I might as well be the pioneer (or idiot) who pushes this to the limit. It feels so much easier to lift it with the bar in front style, so that's what I do first, then I do the suitcase version. I am going to try to make sure that my one arm suitcase deadlift is equal to my front version for as long as I can. What that generally looks like is me holding back on the front style, and busting my tail on the suitcase style. For now, I guess that's just the nature of the beast.

Edited by wulfgeat

Here is the link to the 2014 results. Its the second one titled Farmer (first is a misprint) all the way to the right. Lifts were done both hands simultaneous and weights represent the number in each hand:

For example: my best lift was 305 per hand etc...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArcuqWpui-HSdDNOQVFEakYycVpGSnl2Nk1TcnRQLWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Here is the link to the 2014 results. Its the second one titled Farmer (first is a misprint) all the way to the right. Lifts were done both hands simultaneous and weights represent the number in each hand:

For example: my best lift was 305 per hand etc...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArcuqWpui-HSdDNOQVFEakYycVpGSnl2Nk1TcnRQLWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Thank you so much! I will definately keep that as a reference to measure my continued progress.

Good work!

Thanks man! I was literally thinking about your 300lb one arm barbell deadlift when I did that. I was like: "Holy @#$%!!! I can't imagine doing this on something that spins!!!"

Thanks brother! That 300 was painful my callouses were swollen for days! You'd be surprised how quickly you can toughen the hands and fingers for some no hook one hands. Finger curls and thumbless work were the quickest route to success for me. Keep up the good work, odd and awkward lifts force the body to get stronger like no other!

• Like 2

Farmers walk implements generally don't have revolving handles . In your description you said had a revolving handle.. A suitcase lift box that I had filled with led ingots had an optional, replaceable non revolving handle bolted to the top of the steel box. One handle was 2" diameter with my full best pull of 457. The other handle was 1 3/8" and my best full pull was 600 even. The box still resides in our interactive gym/ grip museum area for others to see and feel.

In thinking no suitcase handle I ever saw revolves in your hand it is specifically designed to prevent rolling.

• Like 1

Farmers walk implements generally don't have revolving handles . In your description you said had a revolving handle.. A suitcase lift box that I had filled with led ingots had an optional, replaceable non revolving handle bolted to the top of the steel box. One handle was 2" diameter with my full best pull of 457. The other handle was 1 3/8" and my best full pull was 600 even. The box still resides in our interactive gym/ grip museum area for others to see and feel.

In thinking no suitcase handle I ever saw revolves in your hand it is specifically designed to prevent rolling.

Actually, I was trying to say that it didn't have a spin. I was trying to reference the fact that barbells have a tendency to roll out of your fingers when you pick them up with one hand, and I couldn't imagine having to lift 290lbs on an implement which does that. I am kind of new to this so maybe I should be more careful with my terms?

600 lbs is a sick pull!!! I want to do that when I grow up :)

Crazy!

Watch your back brother!

Thanks man!!! I am careful about the back, but what usuallly takes the biggest beating is my shoulders and wrists.

I saw Andrew Durniat pull on a straddled barbell with a suitcase clamp grip we sell ( using a strap) a bit over 600. It was cool because it was near to the time he did his 515 strapless one handed lift and on this occasion the first two weights on the bar were the famous 200lb. Zuver Gym plates. Andrew is one amazing guy!

A lift that really made my hands strong was axle reverse grip deadlifts using ony first two fingers on each hand without use of thumb. In this type grip my best full pull was 552 using only those 4 fingers.

In the famed picture of Gorner doing a reversed, paired finger, deadlift on a regular bar he did 595 but as the picture shows his thumbs did encircle the bar. Fun history stuff.

Upon thinking about it the best 4 fingered reverse grip with no thumb I did on a regular bar was 552. The thicker axle done the same way was was oddly enough 550 ( not 552)from the floor and one of my best feats ever was the thick axle four finger, no thumb ,full deadlift done while standing on a 5" block( on a bet) with 530 that was probably "with all things considered "one of my best grip feats ever.

I took a full year of training off in the early 1980s to do nothing but thick axle deadlifts. Tough at the start but really increased my hand strength in the most important aspect of grip , holding power.