3" Handle Dumbell Cleans

JoshW

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkag40ptZSI

Video of a 35kg 3" Dumbell clean above^

What is considered a good lift with thicker handled cleans? Just starting out as I want to be able to clean a 30-50kg inch at some point when I get round to buying them.

Also, any technique/ training advice with these lifts is much appreciated as I'd rather learn as I'm starting out than later on!

Thanks all.

• Like 4

Thats considered a good lift bro, most men you know wont be able to even deadlift it, regarding one hand cleans, make sure you keep your thumb in your center line. Also whip with your other arm to give more momentum, the end position should have the weight resting on you anterior and medial delt, hope that helps bruda!

• Like 1

That's a useful tip, thanks dewd and for the compliment! I have alot of work to do especially with explosiveness as I'm so sloppy and slow with cleans. I will try incorporate that next time :D

• Like 1

The real key for exploding is bend forward to "charge" the hamstrings the quickly dip to transfer the elastic force to the quads, works good, ive cleaned some really heavy kettlebells with that technique.

• Like 1

Ill check my old notebook, used to do a lot of snatches w/ a 3.. Maybe some cleans too.. I think I was snatching 90ish lb back then but ill double check.. The db didn't rotate - weights tightened down. 35 kg is very respectable to start out at

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

I'd love to know some training ideas you practiced the 3" lifts! :D volume, frequency etc!

& thank you for the compliment, it's something I'd love to chase- to get 90lbs+

Sure thing I'm at work but sometime soon ill dig up that log... Made some good all around strength/power with explosive grip

So I stopped logging in the book after gripmas 13 (new baby I suppose) right about the time I started explosive thickbar training. I don't remember exactly where I topped out snatching the 3" and I didn't really track my clean numbers... But my best snatch on a 2.8" thick handle was 99.5#... One day ill have to knock off the rust and cross 100#, a goal I should have achieved.

• Like 1

Damn those are nice snatch numbers. Understandable you stopped logging after a new born ! :D

Was thinking of going down to 30kg and doing a volume session to work on technique and explosiveness as I am sloppy!