Some Isometric Exercises For Steel Bending

ZFJango

I was having serious difficulty bringing any force to bear on 7" bars in DO, so I started an isometric routine to help me out, and today i was able to bend 4 Ironmind Yellow Nails, and 4 Ironmind Blue Nails one after the other. The Blues are far easier for me, but this is the first time I have been able to do more than a single 7" bend in DO in one sitting. Here is my video showing a few of my isometric exercises. Thank you for watching.

Your DO is awful looking the isos you are doing for that style is not helping you.

You need to put the bar on your throat.

Drop your chin to pin it there.

Then put pressure on the bar.

Doing isos with the wrong form is a big no no.

Your DO is awful looking the isos you are doing for that style is not helping you.

Maybe so, but it is helping since I was able to perform 4 times better than I did two days ago with the 7" bars. I am not trying for form, here, just engaging the muscles I feel used in the kink. Thank you for responding.

I don't know if there's really an substitute for just bending bars.

I like the bending stick you made so it will be cool to see what your progress with it will be like in 3-9 months.

You're not trying for form but engaging the muscles? Got it. Well good luck with your isos.

And if you think these "isos" are helping you in just two days, you have to realize that's not how the body works. Maybe you are just getting a feel for the longer bars.

Edited by EJ Livesey

Anyway you spin it bending will cost you money, however its cheaper then ALOT of other hobbies like cars, golf, owning a boat, snowboarding...etc. Maybe someone can correct me here if I'm wrong but really best bang for your buck is to bulk order a bunch of drill rod and cut it all up so you have a lot of steel with small steps.

Edit: I know someone that wanted to build a rock crawler out of a Jeep, he must have spent 25K on it already. That makes me feel better about owning a lot of gripper and box of bent things.

Edited by Jared Goguen

What i find interesting is where you get the nerve to make a tutorial on isos when youve been bending for less than a month and dispute with one of the best DO benders in history. I dont mean to offend you but EJ Tommy and other Legends seldom make tutorials on bending and you feel that you know enough to do so?! I think you have a lack of respect for the steel and your ego is to big to take advice from men far stronger than most of humanity ever will be. Give respect where its due.

• Like 1

What i find interesting is where you get the nerve to make a tutorial on isos when youve been bending for less than a month and dispute with one of the best DO benders in history. I dont mean to offend you but EJ Tommy and other Legends seldom make tutorials on bending and you feel that you know enough to do so?! I think you have a lack of respect for the steel and your ego is to big to take advice from men far stronger than most of humanity ever will be. Give respect where its due.

Thank you sir.

• Like 1

I have to agree. You have been bending for two weeks. Your body is not getting stronger over the course of that time. Youre still learning technique and this is a process that will take months. Hell, I'm still fine tuning things. Not to sound disrespectful but a blue nail bend is not something to boast about and use as credentials to offer training advice. You need to learn to respect the steel.

You guys want to roll in on a thread I created, and down talk me, go for it. You can kick rocks as far as I am concerned. I may only have been bending steel for a week, but I have been strength training in one way or another for my entire life, and I am good at building strength. To the chucklehead who said I was bragging about bending a Blue Nail: I wasn't, I was stating fact. You all want to be lick-spittles, fine. I listen to people who are helpful, but Mr. EJ there told me to go figure it out on my own, and then wanted to roll in here and put down what I am doing to figure it all out.

You be rude to me, I will be rude to you, because at the end of the day you don't mean a thing to me because I do not know you. Don't use the isometrics if you don't like them, but don't piss on my efforts to move forward.

...I listen to people who are helpful, but Mr. EJ there told me to go figure it out on my own, and then wanted to roll in here and put down what I am doing to figure it all out.

Instead of telling you "to go figure it out", it actually looks like he was giving you helpful advice. Maybe I missed something?

• Like 1

EJ told you you have to learn the mechanics of a 7" bend on your own. Meaning what felt good for you. And you don't seem to be taking a single piece of advice from me either. Youre jumping all over the place with stock and lengths. You're bending in socks or BS fabric. You are not focusing on a single style. You have no goals. So how can I help or give accurate advice? I try to stay humble but you rubbed me the wrong way. I have bent things that maybe 2 other people in the world can bend. I have pushed myself harder than most and have the scars and x-Rays to prove it. I know what I'm talking about. Don't doubt me.

There is a reason I certed the the elite bends for fbbc and have the #1 spot with tommy on IronGrip Russia bending cert list there is also a reason I held the #1 spot for DO in both 7" and 6" bends for benders battlefield calibrated stock. You know there is also a reason why I'm an fbbc judge and got invited to bend at the AOBS dinner this year. What are those reasons you ask? Because I'm one of the best. I have my videos and a wall of dead steel to prove that as well.

• Like 8

You guys want to roll in on a thread I created, and down talk me, go for it. You can kick rocks as far as I am concerned. I may only have been bending steel for a week, but I have been strength training in one way or another for my entire life, and I am good at building strength. To the chucklehead who said I was bragging about bending a Blue Nail: I wasn't, I was stating fact. You all want to be lick-spittles, fine. I listen to people who are helpful, but Mr. EJ there told me to go figure it out on my own, and then wanted to roll in here and put down what I am doing to figure it all out.

You be rude to me, I will be rude to you, because at the end of the day you don't mean a thing to me because I do not know you. Don't use the isometrics if you don't like them, but don't piss on my efforts to move forward.

No one is pissing on your efforts to move forward. I actually really want you to do well, but it seems you need a little bit of tough love. Over the past two weeks, you've ignored pretty much every piece of advice that one of THE BEST BENDERS IN THE WORLD had given you and are trying to reinvent the wheel yourself. Stick with one length, don't train everyday, use chalk, etc I've watched you ignore it all. Dude, you're gonna hurt yourself. You're going to hurt yourself.

Again, you're going to hurt yourself.

The only one doing name calling around here is you. I'm not calling you names. I get it man. This is new and exciting for you and you are eager to advance, but you need to respect the steel. You're new. Keep your head down, absorb the information here and learn. Be humble. Don't post every single thought you have. Just absorb. And good luck.

• Like 5

Ok i was on the fence, now im not. I thought you were a cool guy but a little weird. Turns out youre just another troll looking to use the info you searched for on this board to get Youtube subscribers. Go ahead keep doin your thing, i could care less but dont come here giving tutorials like you know a (bad word filter)in thing youre talking about, you dont. No i dont want to be your friend, and i dont care if youre feelings are hurt. We know your type youll be outta here soon enough. Gary hunt and many others worked too damn hard to develope the proper methods to excell in steel bending and you think youre just going to use it to get subscribers, think again. You'd best leave bending to real men. Humble men, who take advice from the greats and pass it on to others looking to excell. Not try to use it to further their agenda.

Edited by Jose Cabrera
  • Like 3

Grip Fiction

ZFJango:
A please would be nice.

The E.J.:
What?

ZFJango:
I said a please would be nice.

The E.J.:
Get it straight, gentlemen: I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do. And if self-preservation is an instinct that you possess, you'd better do it and do it quick. If my help's not appreciated, lots of luck, gentlemen.

ZFJango:
I don't mean any disrespect, I just don't like people barking orders at me.

The Wolf:
If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f***ing car.

Heh. Sry...this thread made me think about Pulp Fiction some. Jango...I hope you DON'T stop bending. Why? Because this is a great opportunity for you grow as a bender and a person. Does E.J. occasionally have a less than sweet delivery? Sure...but just like Winston Wolf...he's here to fix problems...not to cater to anyone. He does it because he wants to give back to the bending community. That's it. No money, no glory...heck...even a webpage with top bends is now missing to the world. A couple of things you may not know about him...he's helped a bunch of people Cert the Red. He has sent steel and/or pads to well over 50 benders (some beginning, some elite), not expecting anything in return. There are a number of other guys on this board, who have bent ridiculous things (Tommy, Aaron, Ben etc etc etc), that as a journeyman, I'm still far from. If you truly want to be an elite bender...study what has been done before you. They all can speed your path...and keep you uninjured. Bending is truly addicting and a lot of fun. Why not just wipe the chalkboard and start from scratch tomorrow. Maybe in 8 years, you will be the one dispensing advice.

• Like 7

ZFJango, this is the internet. If something posted is bothering you and it goes against your opinions, don't take it personal. People come to this site to learn different aspects of grip. Learn while you are here! You have only been here for under 2 months. Take more time to understand the art of bending don't dispense knowledge of how to bend while you are also learning; give it a few years before you instruct.

Also, if you are rushing to build your strength without a proper foundation, it will be only a matter of time before injury occurs. There is no exception to this.

• Like 4

The only person who has been overtly rude to you is Jose, and the only reason he was rude to you is because you are contradicting EJ like you know more about bending than he does, and that makes Jose Angry.

Jose kind-of turns green and smashes stuff when he gets angry--But Not like Chez, that man is dangerous. . .

PS. On a more serious note: Anthony C. is not a "chucklehead" whatever the heck that means. He is an accomplished bender who has the experience to correct you and tell you where you stand in your progress. You calling him names is like someone who can deadlift 280 lbs calling someone who can dead-lift 550 lbs for reps a "chucklehead" because the advanced deadlifter told the other lifter he wasn't accomplished enough to be giving tutorials or arguing with advanced people (495 lb plus club)--Totally uncalled for.

That doesn't mean you can't respectfully disagree with a more advanced person, or that you have to accept everything they say, it just means that you should show them the respect they have earned because of their accomplishments in the endeavor you are pursuing.

We are glad you are proud of your 60d nail bends. That's an excellent start--but it's not the finish line, and you are not close enough to that finish line to be telling people that have crossed over to red nail territory to basically "shove-it."

Edited by wulfgeat
  • Like 3