Difficulty With Longer Steel

ZFJango

Has anyone else run into issues with DO where, for example, a 7" length of 1/4" steel is more difficult to bend that a 6" length of the same steel? Should I use a different hand placement? Change arm position?

I am having a heck of a time with 7"+ bars, and any useful advice you might have is not only welcome, but appreciated. I am so new to this that I don't even know the right questions to ask. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

This right here is exactly why I tell people to stay with a length and practice that length specifically. It's up to you to figure out the mechanics of this bend. Hand placement is different. There is absolutely no reason to go longer than 7" right now. You are just opening yourself up for injury.

• Like 2

The only reason I've made decent progress recently is because I have stuck to 7" lengths, if you practice with it your body will get used to it soon man

• Like 2

The only reason I've made decent progress recently is because I have stuck to 7" lengths, if you practice with it your body will get used to it soon man

I was cutting down the 1/4" round in order to get stronger so i could bridge to the 1/4" square, but the shorter lengths definitely do not make me stronger on the 7" bends! That was a little shocking. I will just do volume on 7" stock, and keep attacking that 7" piece of square stock every once in a while. Eventually, either me or the steel will give!

• Like 1

That H drill rod you got will bridge the gap as it is around the 300lb mark and the 7" square can be abit harder depending on where you got it from.

• Like 1

That H drill rod you got will bridge the gap as it is around the 300lb mark and the 7" square can be abit harder depending on where you got it from.

That is good to know! I could not find H on the steel ratings. Thank you, man.

7" bars gave me fits getting the bar locked in under my chin without a lot of specific work for that length.

• Like 1

7" bars gave me fits getting the bar locked in under my chin without a lot of specific work for that length.

That is exactly it. Maybe it is arm length, proportion between shoulder width and arm length, I do not know. I only know that, just like you said, it is a bear to get the 7" lengths locked in. It is just going to come down to volume work to get it right. I managed to make a semi-flexible tool from mil-spec paracord and polymer that should help me with the kink on the 7" so I don't have to burn through a ton of easier steel and burn up cash. It should be good for several thousand bends. I need to make one at exactly 7", though. This one is 8.25", so I am choking up on it to simulate a 7" length.

Aaron, can you give me an idea of what specific work you did to get past the difficulty of locking in the 7" bars? Thank you for responding.

That is exactly it. Maybe it is arm length, proportion between shoulder width and arm length, I do not know. I only know that, just like you said, it is a bear to get the 7" lengths locked in. It is just going to come down to volume work to get it right. I managed to make a semi-flexible tool from mil-spec paracord and polymer that should help me with the kink on the 7" so I don't have to burn through a ton of easier steel and burn up cash. It should be good for several thousand bends. I need to make one at exactly 7", though. This one is 8.25", so I am choking up on it to simulate a 7" length.

Aaron, can you give me an idea of what specific work you did to get past the difficulty of locking in the 7" bars? Thank you for responding.

Lots of different things over the years. Technique is one thing, Specific flexibility is another requirement. You have to address both and everyone is a little different so some thought required to fix specific issues for each person.

- Aaron

This is 100000% true. My first four months of bending, I tried one single piece of 6" stock and it was a 6" red. I was amazed how quickly I progressed when I stuck to only 7" stuff. If you are serious about bending, please, please listen to folks like EJ when you are a noob. There is really no reason to start DO bending 6" pieces until you are above Red Nail territory in my opinion. If you are doing reverse or DU I think it is fine.

I consistently believe that most grown men who have a good background in resistance training already have the overall body power to bend a Red Nail. But, the steps in training are their to adapt the hands, tendons, ligaments, and mental toughness to capitalize on that power. If you are smart, things may even come quicker than you anticipate. From the the time I started seriously bending to the time I bent a Red Nail in under 20 seconds was not quite three months. When I started, I fought an H DR bar for almost a minute. Take your time, you will enjoy it longer and probably keep your motivation.

• Like 2